Lets talk skidders...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
good deal,well i do not know how much logging you plan on doing after this contract,jst a suggestion though if you have not already check out machinerytrader.com they have all kind of iron but what i would suggest if you are not in a big hurry to get the wood out is check out maybe a tracked skidsteer t250 or so with a brush/log grapple on front these little things are pretty impressive then get yourself a car hauler to haul logs and skidsteer, we used to load our trailer w almost a thousand foot of dry wood,the plus about these is when this job is done and you are not getting back into full time logging? they are very versatile landscaping thinning snowplowing backhoe you name it they have an attatchement

good deal,well i do not know how much logging you plan on doing after this contract,jst a suggestion though if you have not already check out machinerytrader.com they have all kind of iron but what i would suggest if you are not in a big hurry to get the wood out is check out maybe a tracked skidsteer t250 or so with a brush/log grapple on front these little things are pretty impressive then get yourself a car hauler to haul logs and skidsteer, we used to load our trailer w almost a thousand foot of dry wood,the plus about these is when this job is done and you are not getting back into full time logging? they are very versatile landscaping thinning snowplowing backhoe you name it they have an attatchement

I am in kind of a hurry... I want to be wrapped up before years end. I wouldn't be able to get all of it done in time if I was cutting, loading, and hauling it all myself.

The contract begins June 15th, and I have to stop Dec 31st... Then I can start again June 15th, and then the contract ends Oct 31st. I would like to go as fast as possible on this one, and maybe pick something else up?

There are quite a few FS gigs to bid... A nice select cut sale up by my buddies... Lots of spruce up there--I'd say average DBH of 30"... I could sell all that hopefully too.

I'll just have to wait and see where the Lord is leading me.

I've been doing a bunch of research online for cost of harvest... Per acre, per MBF, per CCF, etc.

All of the calculators and figures I'm finding are for full crews, with multiple pieces of equipment, insurance, huge overhead, etc.

Would it be unreasonable to assume I can get this wood out at $75.00 an acre? I'll be by myself, one skidder, and saw expense.

Estimated 132 acres in two units.

Just got off the phone with the trucker... He wants $325 per turnaround @ 66 miles... That's $4.92 a mile. That seems a bit steep, but then again--I don't know what a fair rate is?

I know a flatbed truck is getting around $1.50-$1.80 a mile right now.

Does $325 a load sound right for a self loader?

talked to the boss he knows the figures and he said 4 is average down here for a regular truck so w the loader that sounds abou right,but do not know how much you know about loading and weight?but that is what will make or break this deal getting paid by the ton,he is probably not going to want to load much past his stakes with mostly long logs but fir is light ecspecially if some of it is dry he needs to be three or four logs above the stakes with 33's to get 90,000 gross or so either that or start haulin 41 foot sticks top of the stakes at least hopefully hes a friend of yours and hell heap em up for you!:monkey:

talked to the boss he knows the figures and he said 4 is average down here for a regular truck so w the loader that sounds abou right,but do not know how much you know about loading and weight?but that is what will make or break this deal getting paid by the ton,he is probably not going to want to load much past his stakes with mostly long logs but fir is light ecspecially if some of it is dry he needs to be three or four logs above the stakes with 33's to get 90,000 gross or so either that or start haulin 41 foot sticks top of the stakes at least hopefully hes a friend of yours and hell heap em up for you!:monkey:

We've discussed it, and already know we won't get weight with this wood... Over the gun-barrels we'll probably only see 23 ton per load.

Your boss said trucks are getting 4 dollars a mile down there (no loader)?

im double checking right now but thats what he said,we have three ten ton dumpsand two heavy duty freightliner log trucks our fuel bill runs around 100k a year so im thinking he knows whats going on?i will doublecheck

The trucking is not bad but in the end you will swear he made more money than you!

im double checking right now but thats what he said,we have three ten ton dumpsand two heavy duty freightliner log trucks our fuel bill runs around 100k a year so im thinking he knows whats going on?i will doublecheck

Cool... This jobs so nip-tuck--I have to make sure on every aspect... I don't want to go backwards on this gig!

The trucking is not bad but in the end you will swear he made more money than you!

I won't begrudge a man his living... I just have to make sure the job pays for itself.

I know of more guys getting out now,to jump back in now I would think twice things are just not good at all.

I know of more guys getting out now,to jump back in now I would think twice things are just not good at all.

I know!.. I'm bat-#### crazy. But there's this... Or nothing. I can't afford to work at McDonalds (unless I declare Bankruptcy), so this is what I got.

Ultimately, I want the Lord to guide me... If it isn't meant to happen, I'll find something else.

This biomass thing could be a market niche to fill though... Kevin needs wood brought to his yard to grind--maybe I can be that guy?

I was told to get out of logging back in the late 90's... I listened. Now I'm trying to go back at the worst time! LOL

you doing your own labor thats making money right there,and the boss said 325 is reasonable

Cool... I thought it was fair after I did a little more figuring, and saw what you fellas posted.

I want to run the lowest numbers possible to show my bank. That way if it goes bad, I can squeak by... If it goes good, I actually make a few bucks.

This skidder purchase is the killer... If I already had one, this job would be a definite payday... Then trip cost wouldn't bug me at all.

I would be careful with the big biomass crap its a good thing but not going fast enough. There is lots of plans for it here but they only want to pay 22-34 a ton delivered.

Forgot to add the trucking factor that will run between 18-22 a ton.

i think you should go for it just keep it small and simple you have to suffer a bit to know when the good times are plus that timber guy up there wants that crap gone probably look good for future sales

Latest posts

Back