Light climbing saw eletric vs gas.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edrrt

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Due to recent wildfires we find ourselves working large trees around ALOT right now. We have been using a 36V Makita XCU03 and like it in the Canopy because we are not professionals and it is user friendly. No pull starting and the lack of power make it feel safer.

However the rear handle is a pain and at 12lbs it's heavy.

We have decided we need a dedicated top handle now.

We have a large number of makita batteries and chargers already and the xcu06 looks like the ideal form factor. However I question if 18v is powerful enough for our projects (see pic).

The 36v xcu08 is prob enough to get us by buy it weighs 11lbs. Thats as much as our xcu03 I can say that gets tiring. Maybe the balance being different would help more than I realise.

So I'm also looking at the echo CS-2511T since its 5lbs. Starting saws on ropes is not my idea of a good time and the increased power makes me worry more about accidents.

I have never owned a chansaw that stared reluably but my echoes give me the least headaches. I guess I like electric because I don't have to deal with swapping/ adjusting carbs/ starting fluid and cursing that has plagued by husky xp's. As much as I love them when they run... there aways seem to be problems. 20200426_151135.jpg

Is the echo my best bet? Could I get away with the little 18v makita?

Other sugestions for someting light and user friendly?

I got one of those xcu06 18 volt top handle saws perhaps half a year ago. It has the chain speed but I was really surprised at how little power it has. I know what double battery 7 1/4 inch circular saw will do and what the 6 1/2 inch single battery one will do the difference in the chainsaws is larger. I doubt other folks would come to a different conclusion. I would say 2" diameter is where the xcu06 starts to struggle.

I see they now have a double battery top handle chainsaw, a second attempt after the non ergonomic xcu02 more primitive brushed and reduction geared one. I kind of wonder if the chances of having a battery pop off might make the Makita not a wise choice for someone in the arborist business.

The Stihl 160t is a good electric top handle saw... I hear great things from the local pro's.
I don't know of any electric trim saw that can keep up with a 200t in tree, but if looking for a saw with less power for safety, the Echo 2511 is not as torquey or powerful as the 36v Makita is.
Just louder & requires pull starting. It Will idle all day, so pull starts are not as big of a deal as it sounds... My Stihl 193t does a very solid days work too, very little fuss, and plenty light. 193t gets a solid upvote from me.

Forget about the Makita 18v top handle. Gutless and slow. OK for really small stuff and trimming boards around the sawmill but that's it. Looked at the 18v x 2 top handle they have now but think I'll be going the echo gas route when the time comes.

I got one of those xcu06 18 volt top handle saws perhaps half a year ago. It has the chain speed but I was really surprised at how little power it has.
Sure are gutless. Does your one cook batteries like mine? Supposed be star rated thus won't draw more amps than the batteries can handle but i swear my 1/2 a dozen batteries have degraded significantly since I got that gutless, slow POS Makita top handle chainsaw. It's not uncommon to burn through all 6 batteries trying to cut up small branches and the batteries are almost too hot to touch. Every other cordless Makita tool I own, about a dozen of 'em, are fantastic but the 18v top handle is a POS.

Due to recent wildfires we find ourselves working large trees around ALOT right now. We have been using a 36V Makita XCU03 and like it in the Canopy because we are not professionals and it is user friendly. No pull starting and the lack of power make it feel safer.

However the rear handle is a pain and at 12lbs it's heavy.

We have decided we need a dedicated top handle now.

We have a large number of makita batteries and chargers already and the xcu06 looks like the ideal form factor. However I question if 18v is powerful enough for our projects (see pic).

The 36v xcu08 is prob enough to get us by buy it weighs 11lbs. Thats as much as our xcu03 I can say that gets tiring. Maybe the balance being different would help more than I realise.

So I'm also looking at the echo CS-2511T since its 5lbs. Starting saws on ropes is not my idea of a good time and the increased power makes me worry more about accidents.

I have never owned a chansaw that stared reluably but my echoes give me the least headaches. I guess I like electric because I don't have to deal with swapping/ adjusting carbs/ starting fluid and cursing that has plagued by husky xp's. As much as I love them when they run... there aways seem to be problems. View attachment 822588

Is the echo my best bet? Could I get away with the little 18v makita?

Other sugestions for someting light and user friendly?

Sure are gutless. Does your one cook batteries like mine? Supposed be star rated thus won't draw more amps than the batteries can handle but i swear my 1/2 a dozen batteries have degraded significantly since I got that gutless, ....
Interesting, I have one battery I put a w on for weak as it runs out when used in a double battery tool before the other one. This is new. I can't say I really have used that top handle saw very much. It is rather nice to cut vines that tie my brush together so I am strong enough to pull the mess apart. The xcu03 double battery rear handle one will get the batteries hot and has shut down for that reason. The design here blows air through the battery on the charger not the tool. 50 minutes to charge and perhaps able to drain in less than 10. It appears only current carrying connectors attach at the tool but on the charger there is another block of tiny pins.

Starting saws on ropes is not my idea of a good time and the increased power makes me worry more about accidents.
I've had only limited electric experience, and yes the ease and safety is better, but power and battery longevity is uncomparable to gas. May all depend on the cuts being done and tree type. Pruning softwood with 2-4 inch branches may be fine for electric, but your pic seems like its more than that.

So for a gas saw, you should learn to instinctively use the brake more while on the tree, maybe consider a nose guard too. The 2511 can't be beat on weight, and after a few hours your arms will be thanking you. Echo sells a nose guard for it too. But the 2511 ain't so powerful for bigger cuts, so there's that consideration too.

Was cutting vines with mine just the other day. They have been choking the Alders for too long and the 18v top handle was ideal for that easy cutting job. Just have to wait for the vines to die and fall out now.
vinesOnAlders.jpg

Doing a quick look locally the makita dcs231t here is about US$312. Darn, that's good. I don't think this model is available up that way though.

Sure are gutless. Does your one cook batteries like mine? Supposed be star rated thus won't draw more amps than the batteries can handle but i swear my 1/2 a dozen batteries have degraded significantly since I got that gutless, slow POS Makita top handle chainsaw. It's not uncommon to burn through all 6 batteries trying to cut up small branches and the batteries are almost too hot to touch. Every other cordless Makita tool I own, about a dozen of 'em, are fantastic but the 18v top handle is a POS.
I got one when they first came out and it's been a great little pruning saw. Three inch and smaller and it's fine. Make sure to use the larger 4 or 5amp batteries. Cutting firewood, no. One interesting advantage to battery saw is when you are working off a roof. When you set it down it doesn't vibrate off the roof like a gas saw would if idling.

Certainly it has limits, but it's useful for small lumber in small quantities. You get about 25-40, 4" cuts in a 7 lb package per 5.0 amp hour battery, so horses for courses. Still waiting to see what the XGT series of Makita offers in chainsaws....

XCU06 Makita

I've used the Stihl 161t with the large battery; good cutting performance and runtime. Can handle wood about as large as the little bar it comes with, as long as you let it feed itself. Great little top handle saw if you can stomach the price. That and the fact it's kind of tail heavy with the large battery are my only complaints. It has the narrow 1/4 pitch chain which is incredibly smooth cutting and will spoil you in a hurry. Uses the same battery as the larger Stihl electric saws, so good choice if you have other Stihl equipment.

Latest posts

Back