Lightweight Bar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Respect to the west coast guys for safely putting down BIG timber.

But let them bury their saw in a long dead sugar maple and then come talk to the eastern boys about what bar length is acceptable for a given saw. ;)

Different folks different strokes. #respect

Looking for recommendations for lightweight bar for MS460.
20"
What do you recommend and best place to buy?
Thanks

The gurus seems to have come to a verdict over the 20"; Stihl if you want light weight, Tsumura if you want the good looks, Sugihara solid milled looks even better (red letters), and Cannon if you just wants the best. Stihl chain I would guess...

:cheers:

For sure I am not a pro, but I do cut a lot of firewood.
I guess it's just sort of a thing with me, everything I own has to be modified or I'm not happy.
I agree with above, bury the bar in a dead sugar maple and you will know you're cutting some wood.
I cut a lot of red and white oak and locust.
It's what people want for the heat out of their money

Sooooooooooooo............... What If I were to mill some widows out of my Stihl Bar?
Has anyone done that?

Sooooooooooooo............... What If I were to mill some widows out of my Stihl Bar?
Has anyone done that?

Yep, serval guys have made their own lightweight bars. A warning though, that steel in those bars is pretty hard. But yeah, cut holes, fill with JB weld or other epoxy and go to town. There's threads here and on 0PE about the project.

Has anyone done that?

No idea of what your advanced mind is talkin' about, but I would guess you need HRC 65 endmills and plenty of cutting oil... sounds like a lot of work to me.

I am a Tool and Die Maker and I own my own shop.
AS stated above, I have a disease to modify everything I own

I am a Tool and Die Maker and I own my own shop.
AS stated above, I have a disease to modify everything I own
40 years in the trade. ......I understand.......but there are many handle crankers here.
And they tried it.
The epoxy......better be better than JB.....has to be hard but flexible. And what will hold it in?
A key way will hold a little.
Lots of flexing and vibration. Just saying.

Could you please lead me to some of those threads?
I did a quick search and doid not find anything

40 years in the trade. ......I understand.......but there are many handle crankers here.
And they tried it.
The epoxy......better be better than JB.....has to be hard but flexible. And what will hold it in?

Lots of flexing and vibration. Just saying.
I use DEvcon STeel putty for bedding my rifles. Great product. Will give that a try

Latest posts

Back