Lil' Help for a Newbie CS Miller

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ProfessorGT

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Ok, I finally got a return phone call from Granberg tonight. I want to start milling and was looking for advice on using my old Monster Saw - a Mac 895! It's got a solid 37" bar (no Wheel) and for those unfamilair with this oldie but goodie, it runs a gear reduction from a 103cc engine. The powerhead alone is 27 lbs, so for anything other than milling it's just too heavy! BTW, it's got 0.404 skip chain, which I realize needs to be replaced by milling chain.

I was looking for advice on whether this would be a good powerhead to use, and if I should stick with the 404 chain. The fellow I spoke to said he was relatively new to the game, but according to his colleagues this is the type of saw these mills were made for. He said the smaller chain is used with the newer saws so they can keep their revs up because with the larger and more agressive 404 chain they just don't have the power to do it. He said with the power head I have I could run 404 chain with the depth gauges even lower than normal because this saw has the power to handle it with no problems. I was concerned with the lower chain speed, but he assured me that with the engine's displacement and the added torque attained through the use of the gear reduction that there would be no issues.

My plan is to start off with this saw in a 36" Alaskan MkIII Mill, add a MiniMill and then once I have the MiniMill build a ProCut Mill frame to mount up the Mac 895 permanently. Can you fellas with lots of experience tell me if I have a good plan here? And, how about a recommendation on a saw for the MiniMill?

First project will be milled timbers to make a lifting gantry about 20" tall for lifting engines, cabs and so on, on and off truck frames. Then it's on to milling lumber for a pole barn so I can finally have the workshop I've always dreamed of. At 50 yrs old, I aint gettin any younger, and I need to get going on my "WorkShop"!:desire:

No experience with that powerhead, but I'm sure it'll do the job, if you can keep it running. Not sure about parts availability -- milling saws get run hard and have been known to require maintenance. :thinking:

Might as well stick with 404 chain for now. Hi-revving saws would cut faster with 3/8, but your gear drive may not fit that description.

A 36" Alaskan and a mini-mill is a good place to start. For making timbers, you'll be using the mini-mill most of the time, if not all the time. 70-80cc saws work well with a mini-mill and a 20" - 24" bar. I've done a lot of mini-milling with a 60cc saw, but 80cc is quite a bit faster and doesn't work the saw as hard.

Back