Lilacs and forsythia pruning

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amberg

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
We have a lilac and a forsythia bush in our yard that have never pruned or trimmed. The wife thinks that they might bloom out better next year if they were cut back. Don't know what is the best way to cut them back or what time of the year is best. Anybody ever trimmed either of these bushs back?

The forsythia in front of my door, I just shear it after it blooms and the first major growth spurt in the spring. I use a hedger and whack the **** out of it. Grows back just as vigourously and blooms just as well.

We prune lilacs anytime of year, but I usually recommend after it's bloomed. I don't have a fancy pruning strategy (I'm sure there is one out there), I just prune it to the height I want, get rid of the funkiest branches, thin it a bit and try and give it a general wineglass shape.

Thanks BC,
I will take a couple pics. tomorrow if have time, can get a better idea of what they look like.

I've pruned forsythia in every season except winter and they always seem to grow back thicker and heartier the next year. I still can't get the flowers to stay for more than a few weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is what I have got, As far as I know they were set way before my time, I think the old man said that grandmaw set them somethime in the 20's or 30's And the lilac has been the same size all my life. But the forsythia has been growing in the last 25 years that I can see. It looks like that it has expanded in size if you picture it as a little sprout back in the day. As you can see it is now about 25+ feet across.

Attachments

• 2013-02-14 001 002.JPG
    2013-02-14 001 002.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 22
  • 2013-02-14 001 005.JPG
    2013-02-14 001 005.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 25
  • 2013-02-14 001 003.JPG
    2013-02-14 001 003.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 29
  • 2013-02-14 001 004.JPG
    2013-02-14 001 004.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 19
This may be an old wives tale, but I heard the 'right' way to prune lilac is to simply tear off (rather than cut with shears) the old blooms once they are done.
Maybe just tearing off several inches of the branches will do the trick. Lilacs are pretty hardy.

You will want to use clippers to trim back that lilac. Cut back about 1/3 of the branches and it will encourage new growth. Do it over each year to start shaping and controlling the bush.

Erik
Pro-cut Tree Service

You will want to use clippers to trim back that lilac. Cut back about 1/3 of the branches and it will encourage new growth. Do it over each year to start shaping and controlling the bush.

Erik
Pro-cut Tree Service

Thanks, To my knowledge, It has never been trimmed or cut in my life time. I assume you mean lopper's to do the cutting. And to start at the bottom or the top. The middle or anywhere!!

Thanks!

If you want to get real aggressive, prune them back in late winter right before temps. start to come up. You can prune them 6" from the ground and they will respond well.

late winter, I take that to be sometime in Feburary or March, Is that correct? As you are close to me.

Latest posts

Back