Line Clearance Cert

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgreanbeans

Treeaculterologist
Reaction score
How does one go about getting this Cert if not working for a big show? Have a job in my pocket and I just found out I gotta have it, so I am going to hand it off to another, which sucks, but not playing with my insurance co who says I got to have it in order to be covered. They told me that if I do the job and we have a issue, they will not cover me and will drop me. Dealing with fiber optic lines, which should be no biggie, but they don't care, if I am doing any type of line clearance, gotta have the cert.

From what I understand only the utility company can certify you to work on there lines. I am myself trying to get certified from the local power company.

Have you tried the EHAP course that TCIA offers? I worked for a big show for 8years and theres not much more "formal" training than that.

Have you tried the EHAP course that TCIA offers? I worked for a big show for 8years and theres not much more "formal" training than that.

That is not a line clearance cert class. They even tell you that at the begining of the class.

Contact the local power company and ask them if they host a line clearance cert class for the big companys and see if you could sit in on it.

Our local electric co-op has big o trim for them year round, but when big storms come through all of big o's resources go to the big power company. So they rely on a bunch of small companies to help them clear there lines. When I signed on for storm work the crew had to have ehap training,obviously full insurance,non conductive tools and your bucket trk had to be tested. Wasnt too much of a hassle. Havent worked for them yet, but should provide sum extra income come winter time when its dead otherwise.

That is not a line clearance cert class. They even tell you that at the begining of the class.

Contact the local power company and ask them if they host a line clearance cert class for the big companys and see if you could sit in on it.

I know, Im not sure whats the deal. Maybe because of my employees and mine previous experience I didnt have to jump through that hoop. I dunno?

Our local electric co-op has big o trim for them year round, but when big storms come through all of big o's resources go to the big power company. So they rely on a bunch of small companies to help them clear there lines. When I signed on for storm work the crew had to have ehap training,obviously full insurance,non conductive tools and your bucket trk had to be tested. Wasnt too much of a hassle. Havent worked for them yet, but should provide sum extra income come winter time when its dead otherwise.

If I had to guess you will not be working around live lines during storm cleanup. Otherwise they would have went over approach distances and what not.

Im not looking for an argument. I understand my situation is different. The arborist at the co-op was 1 of my bosses when I worked for big o. So he knows my qualifications. Next time I see him Ill ask him though for you guys how a residential company with no line experience would get started.

....Dealing with fiber optic lines, which should be no biggie....

For you, it is no biggie - unlikely to get injured with those. However, when the cost is hundreds of dollars per splice and there are hundreds of strands in a cable, it is a big deal to them if you cut a fiber optic line.

How does one go about getting this Cert if not working for a big show? Have a job in my pocket and I just found out I gotta have it, so I am going to hand it off to another, which sucks, but not playing with my insurance co who says I got to have it in order to be covered. They told me that if I do the job and we have a issue, they will not cover me and will drop me. Dealing with fiber optic lines, which should be no biggie, but they don't care, if I am doing any type of line clearance, gotta have the cert.

I sat thru an 8 hour class and then took a test.
Jeff

For you, it is no biggie - unlikely to get injured with those. However, when the cost is hundreds of dollars per splice and there are hundreds of strands in a cable, it is a big deal to them if you cut a fiber optic line.
Yeah I know, that stuff is freaking expensive, any side impact, even just a little one, can fracture all the strands and wreck the whole line. Not real excited about this, but I'm going to pass on this for now. I am going to call a client who is a VP over there and see if he can get me in a class, if there is one. Not wanting to go after any HV, don't like working around that stuff no matter what, but for the next fiber or phone and cable stuff, no problem. Main thing I am worried about is my insurance, want to make sure I am good in their eyes. Took me a while to find good coverage that was not raking me over the coals. In Iowa, many insurance company's will not write a tree service, unless you are willing to make them a partner in your show! That's how I know many guys here in my area BS about being covered, they say they are covered by company's that I know don't write it. You can make a Cert of Insurance say anything you want with a computer,Excel and a printer.

Back