Little sissy Husky, want to improve

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unclemoustache

My 'stache is bigger than yours.
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Howdy,

Got a little Husky 235-e series - $200 at Lowes. It's got this nasty tool-less chain tensioner with a plastic gear. I broke the gear already, but I'm wondering if I can stick on a different cover and use the 'proper' method to tighten the chain. Perhaps a cover from the 235 will fit? (It's not available from partstree.com). Any help here?

I would see if you could get a IPL for that saw, it would show if there were different or optional part numbers if you wanted to switch from a tool-less to a traditional tensioner.

I too bought a 235 as a cheap saw. Used it one day and it kept bogging down in the cut. Took it back and spent the extra money to get a 440 and never regretted it. Actually like it better than my MS250 or 026.

Howdy,

Got a little Husky 235-e series - $200 at Lowes. It's got this nasty tool-less chain tensioner with a plastic gear. I broke the gear already, but I'm wondering if I can stick on a different cover and use the 'proper' method to tighten the chain. Perhaps a cover from the 235 will fit? (It's not available from partstree.com). Any help here?

That saw is a POS Poulan made one - don't waste money or time trying to fix it!

Lowes has a great return policy. Return turn the saw and get your money back.

If you could do it with a clear conscience I would agree 100%. If the product was poorly made and was not abused, get your money back. If there is anything good about buying from a box store it is their return policy.

I actually like the little thing. It's been a good saw. Starts easy, cuts well. Only complaint is the chain tensioner.

Yes, one of these days I will get me a decent small saw (Stihl), but for now I'll work with what I got.

Thanks!

I actually like the little thing. It's been a good saw. Starts easy, cuts well. Only complaint is the chain tensioner.

Yes, one of these days I will get me a decent small saw (Stihl), but for now I'll work with what I got.

Thanks!

Or you could get a much better small saw (Husky) 353, 346xp :)

Thanks!

Hey Josh, when I look at the IPL for your saw http://weborder.husqvarna.com/order_static/doc/HIUS/HIUS2010/HIUS2010_29.pdf it reminds me of the similar Poulans that members have removed the plastic tensioner and use regular bar nuts. The 235 didn't have the plastic tensioner and should fit your saw. If you don't want to modify yours maybe one of the used parts guys have one.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back