little splitting today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

demc570

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
got about a cord of wood split today! most with the x27 but the big rounds needed 8lb maul and sledge and wedge,of course in x27 defence it was 24" dia oak,23" tall.....

Did a cord today myself with the x27. Had some that were close to 24" diameter but mine were only 16" long. Never had to split anything longer than 18". We dont have any oak out here either, this was tamarack. It splits pretty easy, especially when its frozen.

lol,i cut my wood 18 to 24", my woodburner takes up to 29",but thinking about starting to try shorter stuff that would split easier.....

The Fiskars works better on big wood if you slab off the outsides, square up the round and work towards the middle. Big mauls work better splitting through the center and the Fiskars does no do this well.

The Fiskars works better on big wood if you slab off the outsides, square up the round and work towards the middle. Big mauls work better splitting through the center and the Fiskars does no do this well.

When I get big wood,this is the method to use. Whack away around the perimiter and you won't have any trouble. Occasionally you'll get luck and find a round that has an obvious crack in the center. Hit that and you're in splitsville.

Split and noodled the rest of a big red oak yesterday. Last 12'-14' of this oak was knarly. IMG_20131227_145031_365.jpgIMG_20131227_145031_365.jpg

Back