loaded the truck down today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

husky455rancher

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
i used my sides today and i had the ram 2500 loaded down pretty good with maple. i figured id check out the leafs and the helper spring was just about flat :cry: i still had some more room too. on the way i figured id stop at the scale just to see how much i had in the bed. the truck normally weighs 5420 with 1/2 a tank of gas and without me in it today it was 7760 with half a tank of gas and without me in it. i couldnt believe it 2340 lbs in the bed abd i still had more room lol. good old ram who says its a 3/4 ton lol.....Mike

i used my sides today and i had the ram 2500 loaded down pretty good with maple. i figured id check out the leafs and the helper spring was just about flat :cry: i still had some more room too. on the way i figured id stop at the scale just to see how much i had in the bed. the truck normally weighs 5420 with 1/2 a tank of gas and without me in it today it was 7760 with half a tank of gas and without me in it. i couldnt believe it 2340 lbs in the bed abd i still had more room lol. good old ram who says its a 3/4 ton lol.....Mike

No pics? :cry:

Post some up and let's have a look at that truck! :D

Yea, I've had 3200lbs on a 1/2 ton but it was almost dragging the hitch. thought I was going to break an axle. Your truck could do more though.

i felt it could do more myself. i just dont wanna break anything as i dont have the money to fix it. its my daily driver, and i did take a couple pics from the rear. ill see if i can post em up in a bit. i know the gvr is over 8klbs does that mean i can stuff over 3k in the bed safely?

i felt it could do more myself. i just dont wanna break anything as i dont have the money to fix it. its my daily driver, and i did take a couple pics from the rear. ill see if i can post em up in a bit. i know the gvr is over 8klbs does that mean i can stuff over 3k in the bed safely?

Husky, is you truck a 8600 or 8800 gvw or do you know if you have a full floating axle? If you have a full floater, put a set of airbags on it and load the puppy up. One word of advise on your year dodge is check the adjustment of the rear brakes (full floaters have nice peep holes) will help you stop better with full load and save on cracked rotors.

96 dodge ram 2500 cab1/2 cummins,8600gvw across co-op scales with a load of wood weighing in at 15,640#,across the scales with the gooseneck grain trailer at about 44000# and has done it since new with 150,000 miles and the original tranny

A little off topic but I went and got a load of gravel for my driveway and the jerk in the bucket loader put over 3 tons in the back of my F250. I dumped a ton or ton and a half off at a friends house before making the 15 mile trip home.

Didn't seem to hurt the truck any but the front end was "a tad lite".

I had 2 ton of sand in my 1 ton saturday for the kids sandbox, it didn't look too bad, I've had it looking worse. Fill er' up!!!

I always load heavy. When we fed fatting cattle I would pick up 2 ton of feed in my 1/2 ton. One time I got the 2 ton of feed and another 700lbs of sattle and horse feed. So I had 4700 in a 1983 dodge 1/2 ton 4x4. That was on stock springs. I stacked 12ft drywall in the back of a 1976 dodge 3/4 ton all the way to the cab with the tailgate down. I have put over 8k on the bed of my 1-ton dodge. I do that a few times a year. I also throw in over a cord on the truck and pull another 2 cords on a trailer. The trailer weighs 5k. So load them up they can take it. Just don't drive like a bat out of hell.

Scott

i have no idea if its a floater or not. ill check the gvr on the exact number. i was thinking of checking out airbags seems like a good idea.

well ow next saturday when i pickup another load im gonna really load her down if it aint gonna hurt nothin...thanks guys......MIke

I always load heavy. When we fed fatting cattle I would pick up 2 ton of feed in my 1/2 ton. One time I got the 2 ton of feed and another 700lbs of sattle and horse feed. So I had 4700 in a 1983 dodge 1/2 ton 4x4. That was on stock springs. I stacked 12ft drywall in the back of a 1976 dodge 3/4 ton all the way to the cab with the tailgate down. I have put over 8k on the bed of my 1-ton dodge. I do that a few times a year. I also throw in over a cord on the truck and pull another 2 cords on a trailer. The trailer weighs 5k. So load them up they can take it. Just don't drive like a bat out of hell.

Scott

:hmm3grin2orange: Gee.........sounds like me. My ole 85 f-250 is built like the old ones (underrated) I had 3 tons of sand in it lastweek and still had room between bump stops (no air in air bags) Mine stops better with a load in the bed.

husky....Find out for sure if you have a full floater as they have 2 bearings a side instead of 1 and can take alot more load!

ok i got the gvr its 8650 the truck weight about 5300 give or take a few. does that mean the truck can handle 3350lbs in the bed safley and legally? that would take it up to the gvw it says in the door sticker.MIke

I will be about 85% correct in saying you have the lesser axle meaning a semi floater, meaning one bearing per side. Load it like you did last time. a full floater has bolts in the center of the hole sticking out of the rim a semi has nothing but metal and is flat to the drum.

OR

You can do like I do and that is break it then modify it to be better, BUT, then again I have been a mechanic for 25 years:(

Doug

ok i got the gvr its 8650 the truck weight about 5300 give or take a few. does that mean the truck can handle 3350lbs in the bed safley and legally? that would take it up to the gvw it says in the door sticker.MIke

You are correct. Take the truck weight and add everything else together to get your GVW. I wouldn't worry in the least about taking it to 3350lbs.

Your truck should have a full float AAM axle.

now we're talking... done same for my 97 CTD's long bed. a load of green oak adds up quick. almost a full cord with side rails.

I'll be pulling 20k+ lbs loaded on my trailer with 2x 7k lbs axles. these old cummins can pull! it's not what you can pull, but what you can stop...

ctd loaded.JPG

96 dodge ram 2500 cab1/2 cummins,8600gvw across co-op scales with a load of wood weighing in at 15,640#,across the scales with the gooseneck grain trailer at about 44000# and has done it since new with 150,000 miles and the original tranny

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back