loaded the truck down today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's a load of maple I got on Sat. I try not too load too heavy too give old "Tonto" a break. The other side of the coin is gas prices dictate that you need to make it count everytime you go out. I figure about 3 loads like this per cord. :cheers:
attachment.php

attachment.php

Bragging rights

Old Chevy 3/4 truck.

Scrapping metal, one time only, I loaded it up. :dizzy:

With a utility box on it, I put 2 tons in the truck, and 3 tons in a trailer. Stopping was "questionable".....

The net was over 10,000 pounds, so I know it was 5 tons...

Should I mention that the engine was a 283 ??????
Thank Gawd it had a decent granny gear!

-Pat

it's not what you can pull, but what you can stop...

[

Yep. Most trucks will carry/pull more than they're rated for.

Stopping is the issue. Some of the RVs I see out there are downright SCARY. Full 5th wheeler behind a half ton! :jawdrop:

Old Chevy 3/4 truck.

Scrapping metal, one time only, I loaded it up. :dizzy:

With a utility box on it, I put 2 tons in the truck, and 3 tons in a trailer. Stopping was "questionable".....

The net was over 10,000 pounds, so I know it was 5 tons...

Should I mention that the engine was a 283 ??????
Thank Gawd it had a decent granny gear!

-Pat

Yep scrapping is the latest crazy around here due too the high steel prices. You wouldn't believe the arse dragging pickups I've seen down at the scrap yard lately :hmm3grin2orange:

Same here, with an '80 3/4 ton 2 wheel drive. 235/85/R16 tires at 80 lbs. They love it.

Yep....1991 3/4 ton Chevy (light duty 3/4, six lug, 350ci.) have hauled just over 5000lb of limestone several times and she probably could have took another 500lb. Same tires you're running. The weight scale doesn't lie......Damn good truck and still going strong!

Load em up!

have a 1ton Single rear wheel 85 chevy that i load up the top of the cab with sides and have no problems...only thing lately was going to get some sand yesterday i bought a yard and the guy loaded me up with about 2.5yards of wet sand....i was draggin arse for sure. good thing i only had to go a couple miles.

Stew

There's no problem loading up your Ram like that. That's what it's meant for! You're correct that your carrying capacity is your GVWR minus your unladen weight, so 3350 lbs is right. I have almost the same truck. '05 Ram 2500 with the Cummins. My unladen weight is 6850 and my GVWR is 9000. These Ram 2500 rear ends and frames are the same as the 3500's, just without the helper springs and dual rear wheels, so they can handle a lot. I put air bags on my truck and that helps it carry more and not squat. I fill the bed with wood and then pull a 5x8 utility trailer also filled with wood. Your GVWR is only your manufacturer's limit (read: manufacturer warranty/liability limit). Your state's legal limit is usually much higher, and your truck's capability is usually yet higher. You can usually pay extra weight fees to your state to get a higher legal weight rating.

The old nomenclature of "half-ton", "three-quarter ton," etc. is really just carryover from the old days and isn't really meaningful anymore. Many half-ton trucks can carry three-quarter ton, and most three-quarter ton trucks can carry more than a ton.

Last edited:
I have a 5x8 trailer with a single 3500lb axle. I got a "scoop" of gravel this spring at the quarry that ended up being about 18" deep in that trailer. I thought for sure I was going to have a bent axle when I got the 6 miles back home. Good thing I added brakes to that trailer last year. Even at the max setting on the controller, they didn't do much to slow down that gravel.

I've been wanting a 5x10 or 12 tandem axle trailer with 3' sides for awhile, but it's back burner to a lot of other things.

Ian

got some stone today

truck dosen't have firewood in it today but I figured I'd post some pics of my wood hauler w/ 3 ton of stone in the back.

Last edited:
How to make a pickup bed full of brush weigh 4200lbs:

1) Cut it down with the Jred 670 and 20" bar about 10 times over until it is basically chips.
2) Don't tarp it and let it rain on the load.

I did that to grandpa's hand me down 71 chevy 1/2 ton on one of my first ever tree jobs years ago. Luckily it had the overload coil springs added, but that still didn't keep it from wanting to tip over on the way to the dump from all that weight piled so high. Man those old rear coil spring chevys are tough.

How to make a pickup bed full of brush weigh 4200lbs:

1) Cut it down with the Jred 670 and 20" bar about 10 times over until it is basically chips.
2) Don't tarp it and let it rain on the load.

I did that to grandpa's hand me down 71 chevy 1/2 ton on one of my first ever tree jobs years ago. Luckily it had the overload coil springs added, but that still didn't keep it from wanting to tip over on the way to the dump from all that weight piled so high. Man those old rear coil spring chevys are tough.

I used to have a 67 with posi and a 3 in the tree .... that was a nice truck to drive!

Ahhh yesssssssss! Posi !
I've gone places with mine that the 4WD guys wouldn't or did and then called me to get them out.

Of course they will carry more than rated my 3/4 ton just startrs to ride smooth with 800-900 pounds in the back. Have I put far more then it is rated for in it ? yes, often but I remember to change my driving habits accordingly. With a cord of green Hackberry in the back I still have 4" of suspension travel. BUT that is now only 4" inches of travel so I come out easy and remember to allow extra time when you throw on the binders.

I havent had to wake up o' Leroy yet! Knock on Wood !

Latest posts

Back