Loaner saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wigglesworth

Booned
Reaction score
Being a saw guy, it seems that everybody and anybody that needs a saw seems to find me.

Anyways, I keep a couple beater saws around, ones that it wouldnt really matter if they got back to me or not, or came back smoked. I have a little Husky 50 that I picked up for $7, (yes, $7) it it is my official loaner saw. I keep a 16" bar, and a loop of saftey chain sharp for it. It went out yesterday to a good friend to cut beams off on a pole barn he is building. He seems to have broken the recoil spring in the minty little Homelite 240 I gave him, and ripped the AV mounts and broke the throttle cable on his 011. He is kinda rough on things. :laugh:

U guys keep any loaner saws around?

Surprisingly no one has ever really Asked me for saws around here but if i were to ever loan out a saw it would probably be my Homelite Zip lol

I do not keep a loaner but my brother in law does. I tried to attach a photo of me with the "loaner".

395xp , ha!

Last edited:
Poulan Pro 295. I have loaned this saw a couple of times with no problems. I always give them some instruction before it leaves.

Mccullcoh PM 610 is what they can use. If they can handle carrying it around:msp_biggrin:

Makita DCS-6401. “the loaner” is an ex-homedepot rental. If life in the rental fleet did not kill it, what hope does the loanee have??

My usual reply is, "I'll come over and help you."

If I had to lend out a saw it would be the PoulanPro 4620, not because I don't care what happens to it, but because I got it free. Or maybe the Stihl 025 simply because I rarely use it.

Whichever saw, I'd make sure it was tuned rich.

I let a young fellow I worked with borrow my old Husqvarna 61 to buck up a down tree in his yard. I gave him a gallon of fuel a a quart of bar oil and went through the saw with him so he was familiar with it. About two weeks latter I get the saw back and the chain was a tight as a banjo string. The bar was all blued up and the chain was shot. I took the saw back and never let that lad borrow a thing after that. Now I have an old Stihl 011 that I created from junk parts that is my loaner. The old Husqvarna 61 is still in shock! :(

Lol, just the other day I lent a saw to a guy who wanted to saw a hole in the ice to set nets for fish. The Ice was 36" deep. I lent him a 372 with 24" The saw ran ok when I gave it to him, but apparently it acted up, when he told me that I remember it acting up 5 months ago, but I forgot. He felt bad and wanted to buy me a new one, but I declined, so last night he showed up with a nice 5 lb lake trout with the heart still beating. The saw had no comp when he brought it back. No biggy, when they made that 372, they made alot of them! lol
BTW, the saw ran long enough to cut one hole. lol
John

Last edited:
Lol, just the other day I lent a saw to a guy who wanted to saw a hole in the ice to set nets for fish. The Ice was 36" deep. I lent him a 372 with 24" The saw ran ok when I gave it to him, but apparently it acted up, when he told me that I remember it acting up 5 months ago, but I forgot. He felt bad and wanted to buy me a new one, but I declined, so last night he showed up with a nice 5 lb lake trout with the heart still beating. The saw had no comp when he brought it back. No biggy, when they made that 372, they made alot of them! lol
BTW, the saw ran long enough to cut one hole. lol
John

Bummer John. Just stick it in the box with that 460 and send it south. :)

I don't loan out my saws. If I have to loan a saw, that means they don't have PPE or experience (generally). bad combo that I won't be a part of.

I don't loan out my saws. If I have to loan a saw, that means they don't have PPE or experience (generally). bad combo that I won't be a part of.

You are correct, but sometimes in a moment of weakness you try to help people out. I guess people with good hearts don't always fair well.

I have a little plastic Mac, 3216 or something. Paid $20 for it, needed a new primer bulb. I don't think it was used for an hour.

I keep safety chain on it.:msp_biggrin:

But I usually like to just go and help them. People who don't have saws aren't really safe running one in my opinion.

You are correct, but sometimes in a moment of weakness you try to help people out. I guess people with good hearts don't always fair well.
I usually offer to do it for them. I love to use a chainsaw and I let them know that.

Bummer John. Just stick it in the box with that 460 and send it south. :)

Lol, will be interesting to look inside that 372 when I get a chance.
I think it's good to lend out a saw once in awhile, you never know what it will lead to. Sometimes hell, sometimes heaven. Lol
John

But I usually like to just go and help them. People who don't have saws aren't really safe running one in my opinion.

Im about the same. Depending upon the person, its just easier for me to show up with some saws & help out.

That said I do have 2 poulans for just such an occurrence. The 3416 is slow as molasses but reminds me of an old yugo: it just will not die. I am sure I could fill the gas tank with poutine and it would still limp along. The 4620 is actually not a bad little saw. I loan this to my father in law (who knows tools but doesnt really use chainsaws) on occasion.

All in all though, Id rather show up with a trunk full of saws & help out. :)

Latest posts

Back