Loaner saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll help out a neighbor by bringing two saws over, one for me and one for them. That way I'll be there in case any problems arise and we get the work done 2X as fast (well, maybe 1.5X as fast). Also, it's nice to have some company to knock back a cold one with when we're done.

I have a plastic Mac Cat I think is 40cc. That was my first chainsaw I bought new many years ago. I worked that thing to death with an 18" bar. :msp_biggrin: I'd cut all my burning wood with it. I never had to do a thing to it! Now it wears a 14" bar, and is my loaner. :msp_smile:

I let my BIL borrow one of my 1050's, with a 24" bar, many years ago. Told him "Don't let it touch the ground". Explained how just a little dirt is like a grinding wheel. When I got it back it looked like he put all 240Lbs he had holding it on a block of concrete, and .404 chain isn't cheap. Haven't leant a chainsaw since.

My neighbor came over a couple weeks ago begging one of my chainsaws to cut down a row of forsythia about 50 or 60 yards long. I knew he'd rock it or do something else to ruin it. He ruins any and every mechanical thing he touches. So, I gave him my Milwaukee Sazall. He called a little while later and said "I think it came off the track". I'm like "came off what track, there is not track." He says "it's not broken, I can hear the motor running, but the blades not moving". Gee Pete, that's my definaition of "BROKEN".

I'm to the point the only tool I'll lend out is my tooth brush, you know, the one I use to clean parts with, Joe.

No loaners. Ever. We live in an area with a lot of retired people and, like most of you, I'll take my saws and help somebody out.

Our attorney explained the liability involved in loaning a saw that resulted in an injury. Even if it was strictly the user's fault the hassle isn't something I need.

Guy at work asked "you got a saw I can use for the weekend"?

I said sure, let me use your girlfriend for the weekend, he says "sure, sounds like a win/win".

I have loaned out a few saws to my Older brother , I send him the gas and bar oil.

loanersaw

Me and my saw are the loaner tool. I send everyone that wants to borrow a saw to my buddy who owns a rental yard :laugh:

Maybe we need to ask do you have a saw you lend to your brother in law...it would never come back if I did that.

Bil

Both my BIL's have saws and know enough to be dangerous. My one BIL just calls me and pays me to do the work :msp_biggrin:

I don't lend saws out period. You guys would not believe the amount of people who bring a piece of equipment into the shop and the conversation starts with: "I let somebody borrow this." I don't have time, but the stories are endless.

As someone said, a person who doesn't own a saw can hardly be considered a safe operator.

Going a step further, there's something about the type of person who goes around hitting up friends and family to borrow stuff that's always rubbed me the wrong way. Guys that are too cheap to buy their own tools, and as some of you have said, just hand a broken tool back to the owner with no thought of offering to pay for the repair because it's the tools fault. And then, YOU have to hold your breath and not say anything that would wreck the friendship just like the guy wrecked your tool. :msp_mad:

I do not keep a loaner but my brother in law does. I tried to attach a photo of me with the "loaner".

395xp , ha!

Once a year, I borrow a saw as my 50 is not quite enough saw for the 40 inch silver maple trunks the city drops off for free. My BIL's run an excavating business and do tree work, so they have quite a collection.

2 out of 4 times, the saw I get has needed work and has gone back to the BIL's in better shape than they came. The 2171 got a new fuel line and the 395XP got a carb ultrasonic bath.

I would think twice before loaning out my 50 mostly on concerns of safety of an inexperienced operator.

Loaned out my 395 to a friend (he needed a bigger saw for a tree) saw came back great, chain not rocked and a brand new 28" chain for the use of it. Normally I go w/ my saws but since I knew he had experience and is like I am send it back better than you got it all went well.

I'll loan one out.

The deposit is a fair price for the saw and chain and mix and oil. I tell him that he may have another job come up and he'll not beat the deal. If he wants he can keep the saw.

Or bring it back. If all runs perfectly we knock out $6 for chain sharpening, $10 for the gas and oil. If something is wrong, he carries it to the Husqvarna shop in town and gets an estimate.

Then we settle up.

I have one loaner and it is a nice one..... 2 stroke that requires no fuel...... First stroke you push it forward and on the second you pull it back..... Has a nice wooden handle for comfort and I even throw in a pair of heavy leather gloves.

I have one loaner and it is a nice one..... 2 stroke that requires no fuel...... First stroke you push it forward and on the second you pull it back..... Has a nice wooden handle for comfort and I even throw in a pair of heavy leather gloves.

I agree 100%, I only have about 3 good friends that I'll let use any of my saws. CJ

I have a plastic Mac Cat I think is 40cc. That was my first chainsaw I bought new many years ago. I worked that thing to death with an 18" bar. :msp_biggrin: I'd cut all my burning wood with it. I never had to do a thing to it! Now it wears a 14" bar, and is my loaner. :msp_smile:

You mean you wouldn't give me a p62 to cut up some railroad ties??

I used to think you were a nice guy Ed.:msp_smile::msp_smile:

Back