Lock Jack Models

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frans

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
As near as I can figure it...
Their is a lockjack with a replaceable clutch. That is the first generation lockJack
Then came the LJ with both wear points replaceable; the clutch and the channel
Then came the 'rope guide' This is for using as a cambium saver.
Next to come is the flip line LJ- I'm not sure what this is really called or when it will be available
Next to come is the 'metal machard' this is/will be a LJ that is made somewhat differently than the predessors; it will have a tube that will help it to feed the rope through the device.
that is all I know at this time
I welcome any input as the info up to date is confusing
frans

Pics of Lockjack

Here's Lockjack inventor Hubert Kowalewski and exclusive German distributor Friedreich Drayer at TCI in Milwaukee, trying to remember if they proof-tested the thing before bringing it across the Atlantic.

A stress-test is being conducted with the heaviest climber who was handy, to verify it's load-bearing capacity. Moments earlier, this same climber had unknowingly attempted to bring down the roof of the Midwest Express Convention Center, by bouncing the demo log (off of the concrete floor), which secured the Good Rigging Control Syatem to it's mounting tree, thru a pulley that was suspended from the rafters.

The harness is the nice & light 'Austrian' saddle that has an optional removable batten (not shown), which makes it even more comfortable. I especially liked how high the waistbelt came up in back, allowing me to lean back. Notice the single large, sliding aluminum 'D'.

These next few pics were taken last summer on the TREE Fun(d) Climb in the Bogachiel Spruce by Knut Foppe & Christine Engle. They run Climbsafe, a German safety training company.

Knut is holding up the adjustable false crotch version of the LockJack, called the Rope Guide. The accessories have since been re-designed. In the current version, the brass pulley sheave is now made out of plastic, for greater durability. The long stainless steel shackle is now being made of stiff heavyweight wire, about the thickness of a mousetrap spring.

I believe the green adjustment rope in this pic was about 15 or more feet long, so that it could distribute more widely the weight of the climber who is suspended from the pulley, over several whorls of the stem.

Last edited:
Here's a view of last summers version of the flipline incarnation of the LockJack. Later, you'll see the webbing sling replaced with a rigid bar.

Last edited:
Here's Michael Tain, about 235' in the air, tied into a nice solid piece of rotten, dead Sitka Spruce top. It wouldn't be so bad, except that it appears that there are 2 two-ring friction savers and a LockJack Rope Guide adjustable false crotch, meaning that there must be a crowd of at least 3 climbers tied into this same spot.

For security, the Rope Guide adjustable line does a round turn to clamp the stem to itself.

This benefit climb was a few days before the ISA conference in Seattle. 25 climbers went to the top of this tree over a 4 day period.

Last edited:
Here is a view looking straight down the stem at that 3rd climber below. It may seem like a jumble of lines, but I'll try to sort it out for you.

First, notice the two flat yellow Buckingham 2 ring friction saver straps. One of them belongs to Michael Tain, who is out of view, directly on the opposite side of the stem from Knut. The other holds the yellow climbing line of Christine, who is wearing the yellow hardhat. It looks like this yellow line runs down thru her LockJack Twin metal machard.

The green & red line does the round turn, and adjusts the LockJack Rope Guide, and the red & black line goes thru the pulley and onto Knut's saddle. Notice the green Petzl Pantin foot ascender on Knut's right foot.

Imagine if all these lines were the color of brown Manila. I had the dubious honor of being dumped by parting Manila a couple of times in the first few years of my career.

Last edited:
A closeup view of the LockJack false crotch. Notice that one of the 2 ring friction savers is hanging loose, not yet hooked up.

The white static flipline lanyard with 2 red and 1 black tracers is the only thing to complicate this view.

Back at TCI, looking straight up at the 3 LockJack rig I'm suspended from. The MM Sport is on my saddle, the Rope Guide is up on the rafter, and the (out of view) Twin with cam is on my flipline. This is probably close to a thousand bucks, with the links & lanyards.

Here is Bob Weber, 1989 ITCC champ, demonstrating the flipline version of the LockJack. The webbing strap has been replaced with a straight aluminum cam link which hooks to the hip d ring on the saddle.

Bob has turned it over and is demonstrating how the little rubberband helps provide friction to cause the flipline stay put. The placement of the wire guide causes the rubberband to bridge across the exit hole in the LJ, snubbing it up against an arc of the rope.

When you want the line to be able to slide untended, just lift the rubberband up & off of the wire guide. Slicker'n snot.

Frans,

I think the Mythical Metal Machard that has been rumored is really the unit that is meant to be used as a lanyard adjuster. Hubert told me that he is still perfecting the unit.

I've been climbing on the Rope Guide for a while with my Lock Jack on XTC. I really like the setup. It is a bit of a challenge to setup but well worth the effort. The rope movement in the system is so smooth. I can actually body thrust and not have my shoulders start to complain.

The advantage to the mechanical devices is that they operate the same over a wide range of conditions. With rope on rope applications there are many variables if the ropes get wet or fuzzy. These devices seem to flatten out the differences.

The cost may be prohibitive to many climbers. Another limitation of complicated systems is the mandatory requirement that the climber check and maintain more pieces of complicated equipment. For some climbers that I've met, a rope is a complex piece of equipment. Those climbers should be kept away from these high tech pieces.

Retrieving the Rope Guide with a throwline is a little more complicated too. The throwline needs to be attached to the eye splice/big ring end of the RG. Then the throwline should go over a limb just above the tie in point. If the TL is sent straight down, there is a good chance that the climber will snag the line and make a mess while working the tree. A solution is to toss the TL through the crown of a nearby tree to tail out of the drop zone. Again, more complicated setups. The climber has to always balance the effort with the gain.

Tom

Tom

I don't mean to point out my own ignorance but why the Lockjack on this rope guide/Friction saver.

I have tried my own non-retrieveable version of this to test the advanage/difference of friction reduction.

That device is called the Rope Guide. The basis of the device is similar to the Lock Jack though.

The advantage to climbing with the rope around the sheave is that all of the friction in the climbing system is at my climbing hitch or the Lock Jack depending on which rope I'm using.

The Rope Guide allows the climber to adjust exactly where the false crotch hangs. When the tie in point is high in the tree there is some advantage to being able to set up higher in the tree. I've found that getting up even six inches higher can make a big difference.

On the other hand, there are times when it's great to adjust the FC out to the end. If the climber is going to be wrapping the rope around the trunk then run it out. Search on "adjustable false crotches" on this site and at Treeb**z to find out more applications.

Tom

I am going to have to start hitting more TCI, ITCC, industry relate meetings. I think I could save myself hours of reading, sifting through acronyms, and experimentation by SEEING some of this stuff and just going "OOHHH!"

Thanks for the input.

Nate-

You gonna join me at the Expo next year in Baltimore? We can 'OOOOOOOOOHHH' and AAAAAAAAAHHH' together! I'm making a commitment to myself that I'm going next year, come He11 or high water!:blob2:

Will be there 100%. Can't believe I skipped out this year. Will be a longer flight next year as I am moving to Deutschland in April.

Think it will be a lot more helpful to see the toys actually being used than having their use described online via F'n acronyms.

Re: Nate-

Originally posted by treeclimber165
I'm making a commitment to myself that I'm going next year, come He11 or high water!:blob2:

Me too! I plan to start saving money now so I can buy lots of gear. :)

I can just picture 'ol Don Blair, Toby Sherrill et al. just rubbing their hands together with glee when they read posts about climbers eager to part from their hard earned 'shekels'
:)
snarf

Latest posts

Back