Building your own small wood hauler.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kevin .. as usual you have outdone yourself. Very nice work. My wife has that cart and hasnt touched it for two years. I may just "borrow" it..:msp_wink:

pics are not working - have them some place else? thanks

Here's a link for you.

http://imageevent.com/kevininohio/woodcart?n=0&z=2&c=4&x=0&m=24&w=0&p=0

MVC-011F_3.JPG

MVC-017F_16.JPG

MVC-018F_17.JPG

That is one heck of a drop off there. You got ramps?

Nope, don't need them.

MVC-001S_8.JPG

20' x 20' building houses the OWB and all the wood needed for a years heat. It was designed to be able to back a truck in like this and does great.

MVC-019S_26.JPG

I guess it's an indoor wood boiler as the stove, me AND the wood all stay dry and out of the elements.

Do you have any thermal storage water tanks to increase efficientcy in the building?

Some guys with inside boilers slave them to large (500-1000gal) tanks. The tanks are well insulated. They run the boilers as needed to heat the tanks up, running the boilers on high. As the house calls for heat it comes from the tank. In colder days the boiler maybe fired once a day, in warmer temps every couple days. Saves a lot of wood if you have a place for the tank

Kevin - you do nice work. I think you can get more wood on that chevy though. It's not quite hitting the bump stops yet!

A half cord will have it on the bump stops as it's just a 1/2 ton. Normally have a cord on it when I'm working around home or in the woods. Want proof?

MVC-020F_1.JPG

Check out this link in the 1st and 3rd album and you see how she keeps plugging along!

http://imageevent.com/kevininohio

Wow! Have you broken any leaf springs or twisted the hangers? I've done both to Fords, along with snapping a front coil spring and blowing brake lines. They don't like to drive through dead-furrows with a full load.

The rear axle went out of it at 210000 miles but I wasn't hauling wood with it then. It now has about 350000 and still has original springs, no bent hangers and no frame breaks. Rust is the main thing that will kill it as all the fuel/brake lines have been replaced twice from rust out. It's been an all wood hauling truck now for 8 years and keeps plugging along. I do go slow in low lock when off road.

MVC-002S_21.JPG

I have broke a lot of springs at my former job. Worked at an ag spray operation and drove 3/4 and 1 ton Chevys. We had 500 gallon tanks on them and with 32% that is over 5000 lbs in and of itself. Let alone the booms, tank and pumps. We would add springs to the packs before bringing them home from the dealer. Like you said, plowed ground was rough on them. I broke the frame on the 3/4 ton on one side. Broke just ahead of the rear axle front hanger following the holes for the hanger. Unloaded it, drove it home and popped the hanger off. Welded the frame with a heavy V groove, fishplated the backside, bolted the hanger back and drove it another 5 years with no problems. We then went to Dodge because of the Cummins. Trannys dies in all of them as we ran automatics. Even with coolers the floors would get so hot you couldn't hardly touch them. Pulling that much weight through worked ground was a lot to ask.

One of the wildest ones was spraying a pasture field for a guy and it had STEEP hills. Started up one in low lock reved up when I was pretty full and the ground was bone dry. Pulled the motor down and the truck started hopping. It had so much weight it was basically lifting itself up till the tires would hop/spin. REAL nail biter trying to back straight down that hill for fear of roll over. I sprayed most the weight out before trying that again.

We go through 3 tanks of fuel a day with the Chevy gas motors and probably half our miles were in low lock. Memories!

Back