Building your own small wood hauler.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well your up to it again! Good job as usual. WHAT DO YOU DO IN YOUR SPARE TIME?? John

What will you be using this for exactly, I thought you had your wood stack right next to your boiler?

Just wanted to say that you really do a great job of posting your build pics and explaining them, I don't think anybody on AS does it any better! THANKS!

My boiler barn is 20' x 20'. When filling it up I back the truck up to the large door and load it on the cart. Then wheel the cart to the back of the barn and start stacking it 8 ft high. This cart will hold close to a 1/4 cord so 4 trips to a truck load. It just saves a bunch of steps but it's another handling. It's faster with the cart and less work. I then take the high racks off and just use it as shown to load the boiler. Load it up, open the door and throw it in with the wood right in front of the opening. Trial and error over the years has this as the best option for my set up.

MVC-019S_26.JPG

As always,nice job Kevin. I have an old ridder in the barn for several years now and was thinking about doing the same thing but never got around to it yet. Nice pics.. Gives me food for thought. Thanks for posting.

Got it all painted up an put back together. Won't stay like this for long as it will get a lot of use.

MVC-011F_3.JPG

MVC-012F_2.JPG

MVC-013F_1.JPG

MVC-014F_1.JPG

MVC-015F_1.JPG

MVC-016F_1.JPG

Here are the rack extensions. Used these for several years and work great for unloading from truck to Winters storage. Less trips means the job gets done faster with less steps.

MVC-017F_16.JPG

They just simply slide in the box tubing and are plenty strong to hold the weight and such. I don't need to move as much when feeding the boiler so I leave them off for that.

MVC-018F_17.JPG

I split this ash in "handling" pieces so the scale may be off for some of you. 4 loads like this will empty a truck which we normally have a true cord on.

Hopefully some of you can get some ideas from this and improve on the idea. Please post your better ideas so we all can get the wheels turning. I'm thinking about making a V shaped dump bed for this on that slips in the uprights. We'll see on that as I'll start thinking of ways to do so. Be nice to have something that will haul those small dirt jobs and such around the yard without driving a truck or backhoe on the sod.

Why don't you have a drivethrough in your boiler barn? I mean drive in and unload on one side and on the other side of the unloaded wood stack you have the OWB that you can fill. That would be even less wood handling.

Oh yeah that is just way overbuild! :msp_thumbsup:

That's a professional Job my friend.
Much better job than my amateur work as shown below.
img14701.jpg

wagon welds
img13831.jpg

img13821.jpg

Thanks all. I do tend to overbuild, it's a pet peeve of mine to have to redo something because of breakage.

On color, the wheels rims are so nice I'm not touching those. Got some green leftover paint so I'm leaning towards that with black racks. I tend to work in the shop on rainy days so some things get drawn out. I'll post when I get it prettied up.

Super job!!! You are one talented guy!! Am much in awe!!!

Great job! That's freaking sweet! Great on documenting it so thoroughly, really helps the rest of us. I think I'll use this for an Example for the kids in class.

Hellbent :rock:

Why don't you have a drivethrough in your boiler barn? I mean drive in and unload on one side and on the other side of the unloaded wood stack you have the OWB that you can fill. That would be even less wood handling.

Oh yeah that is just way overbuild! :msp_thumbsup:

I did think about the back in option before building but I wanted the floor level higher so there was no chance of water ever coming in. Pretty big hillside behind it and wasn't in the mood for a 2 week dirt moving project with a dozer. Drive through option was out because I wanted to have concrete block side and backwall to stack against. No ricking needed as it'll support it easily. Tradeoffs with everything I guess.

MVC-019S_30.JPG

That sure looks sturdy! It was only an idea on my side of the pond about being easier on wood handling. I mean we all dream about having so much time sawing as we do wood handling.
I have often thought about having metal baskets on pallets and only filling them up and using forks for simple manuvering around the property and into the firewood silo. But at the moment these thoughts are only a dream.

That sure looks sturdy! It was only an idea on my side of the pond about being easier on wood handling. I mean we all dream about having so much time sawing as we do wood handling.
I have often thought about having metal baskets on pallets and only filling them up and using forks for simple manuvering around the property and into the firewood silo. But at the moment these thoughts are only a dream.

I know of a guy who takes that one step further. He has Central boilers pallet burner. The door is big enough to put a whole pallet in with a forklift. He has forks on his tractor so he can use it on rougher terrain. He stacks them with large pieces on end around the edges and put the smaller stuff in the middle. At first he was using a plastic band to hold in but last I talked to him he said it wasn't needed. When level he puts them inside and stacks on each other to the ceiling. When ready he puts one in and lets burns for about 4 days between feedings. Cuts out some of the hand work that way.

He's ahead wood wise so he doesn't split the bigger ones as they have years to dry out enough. He does have to sift for nails though from the pallets.

I know of a guy who takes that one step further. He has Central boilers pallet burner. The door is big enough to put a whole pallet in with a forklift. He has forks on his tractor so he can use it on rougher terrain. He stacks them with large pieces on end around the edges and put the smaller stuff in the middle. At first he was using a plastic band to hold in but last I talked to him he said it wasn't needed. When level he puts them inside and stacks on each other to the ceiling. When ready he puts one in and lets burns for about 4 days between feedings. Cuts out some of the hand work that way.

He's ahead wood wise so he doesn't split the bigger ones as they have years to dry out enough. He does have to sift for nails though from the pallets.

I bet he has a big magnet!

Best use for a propane tank I've seen yet ;) Forgive the dumb question but is the lower, flat part ahead of the tank in the 3rd pic a big "hot Plate" or ????? That thing could feed a lot of people, Was this for commercial use or personal. Looks VERY nice.

A buddy of mine kept after me for 2 yrs to build a smoker for him and a buddy. I finally said yes after doing a lot of research on internet.
As we put it on the trailer the weight was all wrong, Firebox on rear made from 1/2 plate with firebrick made it too ass end heavy. The only way I knew to distribute it was to lengthen the trailer. We added 4 feet in middle of trailer. With all that room we just added Stuff! I came up with deep fryers, so we added 3. hooked propane to all from front of trailer. Also put the pieces we cut for the cookers back on top of them so as to have a working table. Works great. I will see if I can find my photo bucket of the build. I documented it pretty well but not as well as you!!

Latest posts

Back