Lockable chainsaw holder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks to be a simple yet effective way to prevent saw theft. Or it would at least slow them down a little.

Okay... so?

I am, like walking around with a torx driver in my pocket.
Wanna bet that some schmuck used locktite on them? Now you get to sit there and crank them all the way out. I would bet that somewhere along about screw #3 you find a weed-whacker wrapped around your neck! :jawdrop:

I love the idea! Design the thing so that you can just drop it in there and slap the lock on it. Nice, simple. Keeps honest people honest. I for one have been known to stop at a convience store and had wandering eyes looking over the saws in the back of the truck. Once, I was actually concerned that I would have to make a dash out the door to reclaim my saw..:censored:

-Pat

Yep, that is my point. I go into a store to get some brews, when I come back my saw would still be there. You have to remove the saw to get at the screws underneath, that means someone would have to have bolt cutters in their pocket! Slim chance of that.

It is not a theft preventer, but it gives you some time so you don't have to have your eyeballs on your saw at all times.

Yep, that is my point. I go into a store to get some brews, when I come back my saw would still be there. You have to remove the saw to get at the screws underneath, that means someone would have to have bolt cutters in their pocket! Slim chance of that.

It is not a theft preventer, but it gives you some time so you don't have to have your eyeballs on your saw at all times.

No need for a bolt cutter for the one I looked at that resembles the one shown. The saw will roll to the side without much effort and the handle screws can be backed out in a matter of a minute. Thieves up here have all the battery operated tools available out there and if they target your gear it better be locked up real good. Those cutoff discs also work quickly without much noise and I have replaced more than a dozen padlocks on the woods roads we use that were cut off with abrasive cut wheels.
Pioneerguy600

Pioneerguy600, I am talking about walking into a store or a bank. NOT parking my truck over night with my saw in the back. If you walk into a store, for a couple minutes, that is enough time for someone to grab your saw.

If it is in something like that, more than likely, when you come out of the store it will still be there.

Pioneerguy600, I am talking about walking into a store or a bank. NOT parking my truck over night with my saw in the back. If you walk into a store, for a couple minutes, that is enough time for someone to grab your saw.

If it is in something like that, more than likely, when you come out of the store it will still be there.

If they want it bad enough they will just steel your truck then deal with the locks later, the point is it is going to stop someone from just walking off with your saw. Locks are for honest thieves.:chainsaw:

I use a motorcycle cable lock. Slip it through both handles of 2 or more saws and my spare tire. It eliminates easy pickings.

Sad thing is;they ain't even going to consider working with it.
You feel like you got ta steal my saw for a crack rock ya better watch out
ya may be on candid camera or possibly be booby trapped. I once had some
stuff stole out of my yard in a questionable neighborhood I lived in, I put
out a sign that said notice to the thief I am watching you with a rifle scope
symbol!

Yes I agree there it would be good for a couple minutes in most neighbourhoods. I prefer to keep mine out of site in a locked aluminum checkplate tool box. Out of site out of mind. A fellow renovator went in to Canadian Tire store for a box of screws and a triangle square combo,ten minutes later his siding brake which is ten feet long and weighs around 75 lbs was gone. It was locked on the rack on the back of his pickup,you can`t put one of them in your pocket and walk away. Make your lock to go around the rear handle and it wobe more secure. IMO
Pioneerguy600

A small fierce dog

Thats what would be the best deterrent.
Mind you there was a story a few years back about a guy parking his car, a young punk came up and told him that for £2 he would watch his car and make sure nothing would happen to it...
The car guy replies I have a dog in the back seat he will mind it.
The punk replies Yep nice dog, can he put out fires too?

Those scumbags will steal the smile off your face.

Tamper-free Torx screws with Loctite on them, they're usually special order and the driver bits that they use are specialized, not the sort of thing the average thug would have in their pocket.

Or just throw them into a toolbox behind the cab, out of sight, out of mind.

Yes I agree there it would be good for a couple minutes in most neighbourhoods. I prefer to keep mine out of site in a locked aluminum checkplate tool box. Out of site out of mind. A fellow renovator went in to Canadian Tire store for a box of screws and a triangle square combo,ten minutes later his siding brake which is ten feet long and weighs around 75 lbs was gone. It was locked on the rack on the back of his pickup,you can`t put one of them in your pocket and walk away. Make your lock to go around the rear handle and it wobe more secure. IMO
Pioneerguy600

Bomag plate tamper in Kent's parking lot , less than 10 minutes with the RCMP filling out paper work 200 yards away . :mad:

Latest posts

Back