LOCUST....Is it worth it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

asg13

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have cuttin up quite a few dead locusts over the past few days...does anyone feel its a pain in the a$$..takes longer to cut and dulls the blade quick. Any one? May jus stick with oak or hickory

I have cuttin up quite a few dead locusts over the past few days...does anyone feel its a pain in the a$$..takes longer to cut and dulls the blade quick. Any one? May jus stick with oak or hickory

Locust is the ####, and worth all the extra effort, IMO. Often that standing dead locust is seasoned and ready-to-burn. I'll go to more trouble to put locust in my stacks than I will for anything else.

Its my favorite wood to burn in my OWB. Locust: Won't Rot, Burns Hot.

I have a good bit by the house easy to get anyone feel oak jus as hot?

Locust is Tops

You can't beat locust with a stick. Splits easily when green, dense as oak, dries fast when split, thin bark, plentiful, grows fast, rot resistant. Some varieties have no thorns.

What more do you want?

You must not have one of these, with a square chisel chain... Just cut up a large locust this weekend! No sweat with this saw! Going to cut more next weekend!!!! Woo hoo!!!!!!

Now my little 029, yeah, won't make it through very many cuts before needing sharpening.

Where are you in WV? I am in Ripley.

Red maple would be alot less work, and more fun. You should try it. Locust is heavy and hard.

256544d1349829662-imag0344-jpg
8.5 cord honey locust.

Last edited:
I wouldn't believe a darn word these guys say....come on these are the type of guys who would lie to their moms :hmm3grin2orange:...Locust is a lousy wood, its a waste of good time and effort. You tell me where it is and I will be a bud and come dispose of it properly for you. :smile2: I'm just trying to help a fellow out.

Jeff

Locust rules! I can't say enough good about it other than the thorns are really sharp and I think it's kind of slow drying. Once dried though it's awesome.
If I could only burn one kind of wood I would say locust without hesitation.

I've never burned hedge though.

Latest posts

Back