Log delivery or pre-split fire wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zoulas

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I see many member get a log delivery and then cut and split the wood themselves. I am curious how much cheaper is that than getting cords or split/cut fire wood? Current prices in NY for a cord of split/cut firewood is $200-$250 or so. Used to be $100 five years ago.

It really depends on how much equipment you have to cut / split , and how motivated you are. I know alot of people that burn some wood that aren't cut out for making firewood. Log length loads generally run a little over a hundred a cord here, with cut/split cords are around the same as you are paying there. Seasoned cords can run $300+ here. If you are going to cut and split yourself, you will probably want a decent splitter, at least one good 60 +/- cc saw, personal safety gear, and a bunch of hand tools such as a maul, wedges, etc. If you are buying log length, it will probably take you a few winters to pay for your gear, along with alot of sweat. I make my own firewood, because i enjoy it. If i didn't enjoy doing it...... i'd probably just burn oil.

Here in southern Oregon, you can still buy seasoned split softwood for as little as $120 an alleged cord. Hardwood ranges from $160-230 cord seasoned & split. Log truck loads of green madrone or oak seem to be priced in the $800-$1000 range. It's a pretty good deal if you don't mind being overwhelmed with wood for a while. I can't even consider it though since I live in town. City might get pissed if I have 8-10 cord dropped on the street in front of my house!:monkey:

In my area A neighbor did the same, truck load. He claimed he got about 8-9 cord of wood for $550.00. It was a good size pile but he had it stack to suit his needs, not in a conventional way to really judge by just looking if you ask me. Average for a cord around here $175.00 +. I get to much from craigslist, but the thought has crossed my mind to do the same if it were to fail.

I get my logs for free from the local tree services. I just give them my number and when I get a call they tell me what species they have and where to pick it up. They will even cut it up unto manageable sizes so I can lift them into my truck. I couldn't afford to heat my shop at the current prices. In the Chicago suburbs a FACE cord is going for $130+ delivered.

Just found this in another post. 2011-2012 supply. He also stated he paid $600.00??

Last year, I tried to stack everything 4 feet wide (3 rows of 16 inchers), 4 feet high, and I had about 70 linear feet, so that would be almost 9 cords. But the stacks were not 4 feet tall everywhere, so I'm thinking more like 8 or so cords per tri-axle.

A farm next to us has a huge OWB that he can dump 8' logs into to burn to heat his barns. He said the loads he gets in are about 22-23 cords a load and he is paying $75 a cord. But he is also getting 7-8 loads in at a time. That seems like a good price, seeing cut and split cords are going for the $150 range give or take $10-15.

Here in eastern Mass a 5 chord tri-ax load goes for about $400, which comes out to about $80 per chord. Unfortunately, it is getting hard to find it now-a-days. I had to wait 6 months since my last load before getting another one.

Does anyone know of a plentiful supply of log-length wood in eastern Mass?

I guess I'm lucky

I get 3-1/2 cord log length loads delivered from a tree service and pay $50 a cord. My stacked volumes always come out higher than what I'm getting charged so my guess is I'm paying more like $40 a cord.

I see many member get a log delivery and then cut and split the wood themselves. I am curious how much cheaper is that than getting cords or split/cut fire wood? Current prices in NY for a cord of split/cut firewood is $200-$250 or so. Used to be $100 five years ago.

Find a logger that also does bulk firewooding. If you take an 8 cord load of split, green wood, it may be the best deal. Just plan ahead so you always have two years on hand, and always have a back up supplier with current number/prices.

I always split mine for the customer, always by hand for the most part. I sell mine for 150 a cord all seasoned locust. I see people selling on here for 300+ a cord... im in the wrong area

Splits are usually much smaller that I would like for the OWB, I prefer large diameter and long (24") splits. The smaller stuff just seems to burn up a lot faster. This means for me that buying split firewood is not desirable.

My latest discovery for emergency delivery was a guy who takes ends from a local mill. These are debarked rounds, many over 24" diameter and some over 24" long and mostly seasoned. I just took one delivery of something close to 3 cords for $300 (tipped him $40).

I sure wished wood prices here were close to that of other places, just too much available and everyone owns a saw it seems like. Shoot, just send a tractor trailer down here to Missouri this spring and we'll fill her up with 24" seasoned oak or hickory, $40.00 a face cord 2x4x8 = $80.00 a cord. We've sold all fall and winter at 35.00 a face cord or rick. Going to raise price to $40.00 March 1st in orders of at least 2 ricks, 45.00 for single rick orders due to rising fuel prices. Should be able to stack and load a 40' trailer get them out in half a day. Just send me half your profit, when you sell it. lol

Wrong questions. Firewood is not like bread or milk or Intel chips. It varies...and does it vary! If you're serious about heating or supplementing with wood, take the time, learn the skills, sweat, and enjoy getting it yourself; or, at least most of it.
Even when we had to travel, family responsibilities, etc... it was enjoyable to scrounge for firewood.
1. Exercise.
2. Skills learned.
3. Getting to know wood handlers: arborists, highway departments, line workers, developers, loggers, foresters, woodlot maidens...
4. Bring the family or friends along on weekend scrounges.
5. Getting outside.
6. Satisfaction of knowing where your BTUs came from.
7. C.A.D. and The Woodpiles.
8. Hey, it's fun to drop trees. "Is there a sound....."

Most will not take the time to get their own. Firewood sellers will always have a market. Do it.

JMNSHO

i cut a truckload of dead standing, cull beech and maple for a guy with an outdoor boiler. 7 cord $1000 delivered. waited two months then he tells me he had a truck load of pine dropped off.:censored:
#2 wanted log lengths, offered it to him for $100 cord at the landing, which is the going rate. he offers me $60, then has the nerve to tell me guys half hour further away are selling it for $50-$60 cord. i told him i'll let it rot before i give it away.:censored:

Last spring, we got 3 full cord of tree-length hardwood (2/3 red oak, 1/3 cherry) for $325 USD. Guy said he would run it through his firewood processor for $50 USD. Being cheap, I saved the $50, cut and split it to the size my stove loves. Good exercise. Next time, I'll buy the wood processed, but what the heck to do to keep from getting fatter and more lazy?

The prices here are up and down, but right now the difference is about $75 per cord between tree length and cut, split & del. $100 cord tree length delivered or $175. cord green cut and split.
You'll have to make the decision if its worth the $75 per cord to cut yourself. Good luck. doug

Latest posts

Back