Log haulers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can see that.

You could arch the logs one at a time onto a trailer. Haven't seen that done, but it could work.

The image is of ganging a bunch of logs to where they needed chunking into firewood. -TM-

TM-
What makes that winch a dual speed? I see only one speed- as fast as your hand can crank it! The different rated line pulls are a simple physics thing. All winches are stronger on the first wrap, you have more leverage. The following wraps require more leverage, thus less strength... I didn't see a way to switch gears, so unless you know something that I didn't see, it's a one speed winch....

Carl-
If you make the outside width of the arch as wide as the trailer bed, you should be able to run more than one layer of logs onto the trailer. Especially if you can adjust the hieght of the arch. Contain the logs with keepers in the bed that won't allow the log(s) to move further apart than the inner width of the arch, so you can run the wheels of the arch up beside them and put more on top. If you can come up with some sort of system to raise the sides of the trailer bed up as the hieght of the log stack increases (i.e. progressively build it up with 2" stock or something) you will gain some room that way. I don't have a green log chart anywhere that I know of to reference, but something tells me it wouldn't be long before you maxed out a 6 ton trailer.

You will need 2 vehicles anyway, one for the arch, one for the trailer, so why not just cut the trips in half, and use both at the same time? Or would you make 2 trips in the beginning (one with the arch, one with the trailer and tractor), and 2 in the end, and just use one truck? It's getting late, and maybe I'm not thinking straight either, I dunno...

Dan

Originally posted by Lumberjack
I thought of that but you couldn't roll the arch over the first layer of logs with very much ease.
Carl

It could be done. The Hugo I saw in use had 2 winches one electric, one hand powered. You wouldn't have to roll the log all the way onto the trailer. Set up a ramp for the arch wheels to to climb, use the winch to pull the arch and log so the butt could be set down on top of the 1st layer. Unhook, use the arch to grab the back of the log and winch the arch/log forward until the log is the rest of the way onto the trailer.

When you were done loading logs, the arch could be winched up on top the the load and strapped down. No need for 2 trips.

Those winches have a lot of pull. Marks volvo got stuck in the mud pulling out the black walnut log I mentioned earlier in this thread. He ran the winch cable over the car to a tree and pulled everything out (log, arch, and car). That's why when he used a picture of that operation in his national advertising the caption read "clean log, had to wash the car"

chart/ weight

Green logs? Go to the woodweb and use the calculator to get an estimate of weight. You have to go look at the job before you do it so take the time to do a few measurements while you are there then use the woodweb's calculator to get an estimate of what you can haul before you get to the job and load too much on the trailer. The fines here are pretty steep for overloads.

The arches are great tools, I am about to buy a four wheeler from my brother, and will then pick up an arch to move logs with. But only to the curb. The arch is not the tool to be moving logs all over town one at a time, and loading a trailer with it I think would be good if you only have a few, but a bunch of logs requires a log loader truck. I look at the arch as a poor mans bobcat, but better in cases where you are working with valuable landscapes.

When I can get down 17ft sections of pine at least 4 sections the pulp wood guy will come pick them up for $50. If I can give him a full load he'll take it for free --about 15-20 logs. I have a small log loader but where I dump the fee is $60, so If I can make that much wood disappear for $50 and I don't even have to truck it across town I'm the winner. With my sized truck (18ft dump box) I can charge tree guys $300 for a full load of what ever, only cost me $60 to get rid of, so it rarely makes sense for me to do anything but take it to the dump to be turned into mulch. There is a saw mill that will take most kinds of wood for free, but I have to spend about an hour driving to get there and back -- I'd rather pay the $60. The larger loaders in town chage $400 for a full load, and they can hold about 50K lbs where I can only hold 33k lbs.

Another thing guys are doing here in town that don't have chippers or trucks to move the logs & debris is roll off dumpsters.
The guy who owns the saw shop I use just started a roll off biz that I've seen lots of tree guys using. He will drop off a dumpster (looks to be about 18 long x 8 wide x 4 or 6 high --2 sizes) for around $300, load it with what ever tree debirs you can get into it (has large barn type doors so you can walk stuff to the back) and he will come pick it up when ever you call.

When you are doing a large job where you are going to be disposing of a large amount of logs you need to build in about 3-400 just for the log disposal, and tell the customer, if they want to save on the job they can keep the wood, other wise don't kill yourself humping logs in and out of trailers all over town, call a loader. --but an arch looks like a great way to get it to the curb.
Greg

I like the wood web site. I think that I am going to make a chart similar to the green log chart, except wider (more values) and more specific to the trees around here. I had a thread about making an arch for the trailer similar to the trailer they use to move propane tanks, ecept it piviots, but that go shot down on the tread, but I still have hope.

Carl

Well said, OR.
What makes that winch a dual speed? ... I didn't see a way to switch gears, so unless you know something that I didn't see, it's a one speed winch....

Attached is a larger version of that winch, complete with arrows 'n numbers 'n if you look closely at the number of cogs, their variant sizes, and which aligns with which when the crank handle is switched from high (speed gear) to low (power gear) , with a resulting reversal in crank direction, switching from one to the other).

See the picture. You will get it. Amazingly simple design; amazingly effective. -TM-

VERSATILITY to your tool aresenal

Greg, above, makes some really good points; basically, what means are available to you, and what are the economics.

A key theme here is OPTIONS. Different jobs require different methods of debris removal. The arch(es) is (are) not the Holy Grail of log removal, but they're a powerful tool of efficiency, especially if your options are limited, and especially if you're doing a lot of back yard removal work where low impact is important to either you or your client.

In this next photo I had to drop a log alongside a firepit to be used as seating. I had to climb the arch over top of another log to get it in there, which was not a problem.

Murph, as far as WHERE to get the two-speed winch, Fulton Winch is located in the north of the U.S. I'd call the manufacturer, or someone who deals in Fulton products, like a hitch or trailer shop. As far as mounting, that's a question for the guy who's going to be doing your welding and retro-fit. -TM-

Roadworthy hickory

Someone awhile back was asking if these arches were roadworthy. They do OK, this size, anyway, and there's no legal requirement for light hookups since the device doesn't block the taillights of the truck.

The lightning-struck tree won't offer me more than firewood out of this log. There's evidence of a lot of seperation between annual rings resultant of its unfortunate blast. I have a feeling the lumber, upon drying, would fall apart. Too bad. -TM-

Here I got into a log that was just too big for thew arch. I had to rent a lull for the day.

Stuck my buddy, Tom, in the picture for size reference. -TM-

I've used a highloader before too, and they are very usefull for packing a truck as full as possible, from all 3 sides.

You can get material handling grapples for them too.

I used a rough terrain forklift on a job a coupla weeks ago. We had a basket to go with it. It worked well and it was fun. I wish I had a tool carrier version like Bobcat's version. I think that would be the "shizznit" (Butch)

Carl

resizeing pic's

I have some very descriptive pictures of these arches in action, however they're all shot high resolution and the file size is too big for Arboristsite.com to take. I know, I know,.. crunch em down first. I haven't learned how to do that yet, but for now, I'll just share more experience with my three rather incredible devices.

Try this program Tree Machine , heres the thread http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=61846

Latest posts

Back