Log Splitter Build Advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amscontr

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I'm looking convert my homeade log splitter from using the hydraulics off of my tractor to a B&S 16 hp Vanguard propane motor w/ hydraulic pump that I found from an old lift truck. I see alot of posts that many log splitters have 6-10 hp motors will this 16 hp motor be overkill or supply too much pressure? What is a reasonable pressure to supply a large cylinder from a backhoe?

Horsepower is not always the determining factor. The prime factor is using the right combination of pump and horsepower. Most splitters require 2000+ psi to split various woods. Gallons per minute determines how fast the cylinder will move. Pressure determines the tonnage. Most single stage pumps require 2 or more horsepower for every gallon at 3000 psi ,because the rate of flow is the same at all pressures. While 2-stage pumps change the flow rate between low pressure high flow to high pressure low flow.

Your 16HP engine could handle a 28/8 gpm 2-stage pump at 3000 psi, but only capable of operating a 8 gpm single stage pump at the same pressure.

If the pump came out of a lift truck it is probably a single stage pump.

attached is a site for free calculators for tonnage and cycle times,
http://www.baumhydraulics.com/pages.php?pageid=4

the pump determines everything.

the pump determines max pressure, how many GPM (gallons per minute).

GPM divided by the size of the ram is the speed of things.
Pressure combined with diameter of the ram determines splitter power.

You want a 2 stage pump. with a 16 horsepower engine, you can get a big 2 stage pump, which means it will have a lot of GPM, yet still have the pressure.

I built mine w/ 18 hp, 5" bore, 22 gpm. I can't wait to replace the motor to save fuel.

I hear ya, that's kind of the reason I chose this propane motor. According to a forklift mech. he was telling me the motor at a high idle should produce over 4000 p.s.i. and should run 25-30 hours on a BBQ grill size bottle of propane. Once I tear into it and see what pump it has on it or serial numbers to determine the pump and go from there. I have beeen running this splitter on my Massey 65 for the last 15 years and it's time to give the tractor and my wallet a break.

Latest posts

Back