Log Splitter needed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shane266

Reaction score
I am in search of a 37 ton log splitter for my home here in connecticut. I have been looking online at so many brands and I just dont know what one is the best. I would love to spend less than $2000. Does anyone have any advise or even have a log splitter for sale here in Ct?

The 1st question is how much wood do you plan on splitting in a given year? Also depends on the size of the wood you have and how easy the wood splits (i.e. ash or oak splits much easier than elm or beech for example). Most 20 ton hydraulic splitters can do the job and cost around $1,000 bucks. I have a homemade splitter that a buddy of mine got from an old mechanic. It has a full I-beam and the ram is from a John Deere tractor and it has a 8 hp briggs motor. This splitter can split a log sideways agains the grain. It does guzzle some gas though and is a bit slow and takes 3 men to move. I have used the SuperSplit splitter and it is the fastest I've have used but you can't split gnarly or knotty wood or as my boss calls it "bastard wood."
Lowes or Home Cheapo rents them out for the day for $50 or $60 bucks, but it's only worth it if you can split all the wood within a weekend, otherwise just buy a 20 ton.

I have burned about 2 1/2 cords this year so far and have 5 cords out back to split for next year. I have been barrowing a friends 37 ton and love it(nothing it wont split.) I am also thinking about getting a wood furnace in the next few years and want to have a good splitter. I have also thought about a 3pt splitter for my compact tractor but like the ability to drap and place the splitter anywhere I want.

Look at Huskee

Huskee (made by SpeeCo) splitters are a great value splitter. I have the 35-ton model, and it splits everything. You can get your hands on one for $1699 during a sale and even more off with a 10% off coupon or opening a TSC credit card.

Log Splitter - Hydraulic Log Splitters from Tractor Supply Company

There are many in the firewood forum who own the Huskee 22-ton model ($999) and have been very pleased.

I considered a 3-pt splitter for my tractor (JD 4600), but there were too many disadvantages for me to go that route.

Tonnage isn't everything

For your $2000 price range you can get into either a Timberwolf or American entry level commercial machine. I've found very little that I can't run through my 20 ton TW-2HD. The ability to run a 4-way wedge on the fixed wedge machines really speeds up the splitting operation.

Take Care

Iron and Oak 26 ton will come in right at 2k.
Vertical/Horizontal.
13 second cycle time and well built.
Haven't had anything it couldn't split.

don't be confused by the tonnage. Get a Honda engine. get a low cycle time rating. I bought a 20 ton Iron and Oak witch is the same as a Brave and couldn't be hapier. Two months before I bought it, I bought a POS from Nothern Tool for 1600. Needless to say I was very disappointed and it cost me 400 in shipping. It really is that bad. Don't believe the cycle times.
The Iron and Oak I bought has an eight second cycle time, nine horse Honda, and is rated at 20 ton. I run it at half and 3/4 throttle when splitting and have never seen anything stop it. It's nice and fast too. I couldn't imagine waiting 15 - 20 seconds between splits. can you? Anyway, these are things to concider and Brave and Iron and Oak have a good reputation and are made in Il. Check them out.

I was over by Bethel Power not that long ago and saw they have some descent looking splitters for sale. Might want to talk with them. I think it's american CLS?

Also, tonnage isnt necessarily accurate according to the manufacturer. Since your looking for a "personal use" splitter I'd look to spend more money on things like a quality engine for reliability rather than overall tonnage or speed. Speeco has a very good reputation for customer service/reliability. You cant go wrong with Iron&Oak or a TW even with their "smaller" units.

We have had a 25-ton SpeedCo for 10 years, will split anything that will fit into it. Replaced the coil and pull start recoil spring this year, only issues we have had. It has got to have 500 hours a year on it, so I think it is a pretty solid machine for about 1700

American CLS

I love mine and it will split anything, but the $2000 price range would be tight. In my opinion the four way wedge on the better machines are worth every penny.

Tonnage isn't everything

For your $2000 price range you can get into either a Timberwolf or American entry level commercial machine. I've found very little that I can't run through my 20 ton TW-2HD. The ability to run a 4-way wedge on the fixed wedge machines really speeds up the splitting operation.

Take Care

:agree2::agree2:

I bought a Brave 26 ton in 2002 for around $1400. It will split ANYTHING. It has a briggs 8hp engine. I think they are the same company as iron and oak. Whatever you get, make sure it has a 2 stage valve for the really big stuff. After turning a 20" piece of beech on its side and watching it go throughit at half throttle like it wasn't even there, I am truly amazed at the power it has.

Tonnage isn't everything

Take Care

Like he said.

Timberwolf TWP1 with a 4-way wedge does all but maybe three or four really nasty rounds per year. Those get halved with the saw, then the splitter finishes them. Got a great deal on it and have been pleased. At retail, I'd have just gone with a Speeco, frankly. But a 4" cylinder is plenty enough for splitting 20-24" long hardwood rounds, even knotty stuff.

Now, that said, would I like more tonnage and a faster cycle time? Sure, I could enjoy that. The TW-7 looks great for my purposes...all but the price tag, that is.

I am in search of a 37 ton log splitter for my home here in connecticut. I have been looking online at so many brands and I just dont know what one is the best. I would love to spend less than $2000. Does anyone have any advise or even have a log splitter for sale here in Ct?

I strongly suggest you at least look at American Log Splitters made in NY State. I've owned model # AM25HH for over 4 years and split every kind of hardwood including a lot of Hickory with ease. They are the most rugged and well designed splitter I've ever seen. I purchased mine for $1900.00 including tax in 06', probably more today but close to the $2000.00 budget you suggested.

Just make sure it has a Honda GC engine (with the white steel gas tank).

That commercial grade motor will last longer than you will, if maintained.

You mean the Honda GX is commercial grade, right?

Correct

The GX Honda engines are the tried, true and the proven "King of the Small Engines."

The GC engines are badged as Honda but are in no way even comparable in quality and reliability to the GX engine.

Take Care

Latest posts

Back