Log Splitter Recommendation

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To be honest it looks chintzy at best. Homeowner spliting small wood OK but I would not buy it.

I got a good close up look at one today in the farm store (not TSC).

GARBAGE!

The toe plate on this one was HOLLOW!!!!! :dizzy:

Yep, it's basically a welded box!

The wedge is hollow, BTW. Cast iron. The frame, especially the front leg, is flimsy.

No thanks!

Cheap splitters

My brother in law bought a splitter at lowes two years ago. The deal was i keep it at my house and he gets to load up his pickup whenever he goes to his vacation home. I have been splitting wood for my house and my father in laws as well. I have put through approx 30 cords over the last 2 years with this machine. Its a Swisher 22 Ton. First off, the design was flawed. The wedge ran along the i-beam and was aligned by some cheap ass angle iron. Over time the unusual shaped logs (stumps) would twist and rip the angle iron off. They rectified the situation by sending me a whole new wedge and all of the parts to install it.(free shipping) It is now designed like the other brands with a bolt on system. I would love to get a higher end splitter someday but have to admit this machine has split everything that i have put at it. I get dumps from a local tree service and its been quite a variety of wood. I cant justify the expense of a $2,500 splitter for my usage. They all use the same motors and the same brand pumps. I am just not that impressed with the slightly increased speed to pull the trigger. I dont think im going to buckle the I-beam. Perhaps someday faster pumps will help.

My brother in law bought a splitter at lowes two years ago. The deal was i keep it at my house and he gets to load up his pickup whenever he goes to his vacation home. I have been splitting wood for my house and my father in laws as well. I have put through approx 30 cords over the last 2 years with this machine. Its a Swisher 22 Ton. First off, the design was flawed. The wedge ran along the i-beam and was aligned by some cheap ass angle iron. Over time the unusual shaped logs (stumps) would twist and rip the angle iron off. They rectified the situation by sending me a whole new wedge and all of the parts to install it.(free shipping) It is now designed like the other brands with a bolt on system. I would love to get a higher end splitter someday but have to admit this machine has split everything that i have put at it. I get dumps from a local tree service and its been quite a variety of wood. I cant justify the expense of a $2,500 splitter for my usage. They all use the same motors and the same brand pumps. I am just not that impressed with the slightly increased speed to pull the trigger. I dont think im going to buckle the I-beam. Perhaps someday faster pumps will help.
I have the same splitter and had the same problem and got it fixed the same way. Great customer care. I split 30 or so cords last year and 25 year before last. 99% elm! I have no complaints with the splitter. I like the beam being cupped a little. Keeps the logs from rolling off. I see their new splitters are flat where the log lays. I'll just keep mine.

35 ton Huskee/Speeco is an awesome machine for the money, the redesigned horizonal shaft engine is easier to start, (Briggs), and for the money it will split wood with the best of them,, remember dudes,, this is not space shuttle technology,, its a motorized ram and allot of steel,, Buy the Huskee/Speeco , and dont look back..:chainsaw:

I've only read a few of the replies, but I'll throw this out. Why not rent one? Find one to rent that is the kind you are considering, get some stuff cut and ready to go, and then just rent one for a day and spend the day splitting with it to see how you like it?

I actually know a few people who refuse to own a splitter because the can split ALL of their firewood in a two day weekend. They get all their wood cut, and set aside what needs split. When they get enough of it, they rent the splitter for the weekend, and have a go at it. They don't have to maintain it or anything. Just fill it up with gas, and go.

Even if you are set on owning a splitter, it's a great way to evaluate before you buy.

From what I have researched, it looks like and American or a Timberwolf. WHat about the Split-Fire? I also have to find out if they can be purchased near me or about shipping. Thanks

I personally run a wallenstein wx980 31 ton, and it is a solid and reliable machine. But to do it again I would definately look at the split-fires. They are very popular around here with the loggers doing comercial firewood. They split on both strokes so you can double the amount of wood split in the same time with a conventional splitter. They also look to be a very well made unit.

Fields,
I would say you got to the math. Cost for renting a splitter around here is about $70 a day. Now factor that cost with the fact that if you buy a splitter, and take care of it, you can generally expect to get at lest half your money back. So the $2,000 deluxe splitter, really only costs you $1,000. You would spend this if you rented the splitter for about 14 days. Yeah, I know there is storage and maintenance issues. But you get to operate the same machine everytime when you buy it. And the biggest pain for me when I rent something, is watching the clock to bring the stupid tool back in time.

2zsp47t.jpg
$3000.00 free shipping tom trees

Our Speeco, 25ton, 9.0hp B/S I/C, has been unstoppable so far, going into the fourth winter with it, 50 cords or more so far, and another 30 waiting for it.
It has a solid foot plate, something to watch for. Some footplates are dished-out to save material, and can bend.

I'm looking to upgrade to a production splitter, 4way and 6way, log lift, table, and longer tongue, but that's due to demand.

If you are only going to be splitting for your own needs, just about any 22ton or better will be fine. A Honda GX engine seems to sip the least fuel, and is quieter, so that part would be nice.

Good luck, there's been lots of threads with guys experiences, do a search for log splitters in this forum and you'll find some worthwhile reading.

Another thing, if you haven't run one yet, rent one to get a baseline of experience, and ask about the specifics of the rental unit, then you can compare more easily.

I have a speeco 25 ton splitter with a 10.5 hp B/S I/C and am very satisfied with it. Sturdy, well balanced in the horizontal or vertical mode. Good tool... and it saves the BACK !!!!!!:clap:

24pdxfp.jpg
well guys i am not joe homeowner like some of you we sell 80 to 100 cords a year for 35 years now have 4 spliters this one i like the best 8second cycle with a 9 hp honda look at them thear the best tom trees:cheers:

I have sold three brands mentioned: American, Iron and Oak, and MTD stuff.

For all of you guys who are dumping on MTD, the reason best as I can tell is that the entire engineering staff is fixated on removing cost, rather than improving anything or maybe coming up with a new idea. (Except for silly things like steering wheels on zero turn mowers). I have an older MTD back when they had the full beam, and horizontal shaft engine. It has been fine for me, but the new ones are not as well made. They have cheapened the snow throwers, the Cub tractors, gone to Chinese engines on most of their snow throwers and lawn mowers and then they wonder why my showroom is turning orange.

Iron and Oak is tough and well made, but they were kind of unreliable to do business with. They just never would ship anything when promised. It was always "we'll get that out sometime this week." At the end of the week, I'd call to see if they shipped, and they'd say, "No, but we'll definitely get them out next week", which of course never happened. Always a runaround with those folks. They are pricey, and even though they have "free" frieght, (built into the price), they come empty and you need to dump 9 gallons of hydraulic oil in them for set up.

American was the best of the brands I sold, and those folks clearly knew more about what they were doing that the other guys. One thing you are paying for is that they use the best pumps they can get and they set and test each and every one of them. In fact all splitters are delivered completely set up, tested and ready to go. The only problem with American is that they are small and the lead time from order to delivery is pretty long, so you really need to plan ahead with them. Great people to do business with though, and the splitters are really well done.

I would stay away from either the Northern or Harbor Frieght brands due to too many cheap chinese components.

Timberwolf is top shelf stuff with little to worry about if you have one.

Next year, there should be another option for all of us that should prove interesting. Husky, (that's Husqvarna, not Huskee), is going to come out with a line of splitters. They will be made in the Beatrice, NE factory where the commercial mowers are made. They had hoped to have them ready for this fall, but they got backburnered due to the new PZ commercial Z that is just coming out.

They should have several models spanning the range of units for personal use as well as some heavy duty units. (XP's ?). But there are no firm details on sizes/prices and such. But as soon as they have them, I'll be ordering them!

well we got are new one in 4 days free shipping but we go thru baileys on them there the best we have a pro split 26 to and a lickety and a yardman yes you have to get hy oil but thats with all of them the total was $2700.00 + oil no tax tom trees

they all look like very good splitters,, thats what makes horse races guys,, so many options..signed "JOE HOMEOWNER" :clap:

Back