Log Splitter Recommendation

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Engineeredlawns

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
What splitter would you recommend? I will split maybe 4-5 chords a year for my stove. I want a splitter to last me a long time so I will pay some extra $$ to get quality. I have looked at the following:

Northstar 37 ton with 9 hp Honda, can get for about $1700. Looks well built and has a Honda commercial engine.

Huskee 35 ton. $1699 12 HP B&S Has some good reviews.

Club Cadet 27 ton $1600 Honda home owner engine not as well made as the other two.

Or go with like an American AM-24HH Cost would be like $2200 before shipping. Have no clue as to shipping cost.

I don't want to spend $1200 on a splitter and have to replace it in 5 to 7 years. Thanks.

I can only speak to the Northstar. I have been a pleased owner of one of their splitters for 8 years and never had a problem. I process about 5-6 cord for myself, and others borrow it to the tune of another 4-5 every year. The briggs engine is a little warm blooded, but that isn't the splitters issue. I would buy another one.

I bought the Northstar 30 ton and i think it has lots of power. It is made sturdy with strong steel. The only bad thing about it is that the toe plate could be larger. The Honda engine starts in two or less pulls and someone that is not good with rope start could use it. I would but another. Not to correct you but the 37 ton is about 1880

Last edited:
If I had to buy a splitter, I would probably splurge on the American. They look like a great splitter (never used one), and are built to order (I like having options). Log lift, decent cycle time, higher platform with the HH models.

I bought an 'American' splitter in '82 and have split 15-20 cords a year since then and have only replaced the recoil on the 5hp B&S engine....btw it has a 6 sec return that I always thought was slow until I started to read some of these forums.

My only advice is avoid anything made with Chinese steel.

http://americanlogsplitters.com/specs.html

I'm close to ordering the American 25HH. Seem to have a great reputation and are a little less than the Timberwolf's. I'm just outside of Albany NY and they told me freight would be $150 however their factory is only about 4 hours away. If you're considering one of these be prepared to wait - 14-16 weeks is what they're telling me.

Our Speeco, 25ton, 9.0hp B/S I/C, has been unstoppable so far, going into the fourth winter with it, 50 cords or more so far, and another 30 waiting for it.
It has a solid foot plate, something to watch for. Some footplates are dished-out to save material, and can bend.

I'm looking to upgrade to a production splitter, 4way and 6way, log lift, table, and longer tongue, but that's due to demand.

If you are only going to be splitting for your own needs, just about any 22ton or better will be fine. A Honda GX engine seems to sip the least fuel, and is quieter, so that part would be nice.

Good luck, there's been lots of threads with guys experiences, do a search for log splitters in this forum and you'll find some worthwhile reading.

Another thing, if you haven't run one yet, rent one to get a baseline of experience, and ask about the specifics of the rental unit, then you can compare more easily.

Last edited:
I sold my 37ton northern for a American. So much better, spend the extra and get the best!

IMO stay away from the 5 inch rams. They are too slow with a 16 GPM pump.

How about an Iron and Oak fast cycle. $2395 Shipped from Baileys. It's fast and built like a tank...the toe plate is 2 inch thick solid steel. Just watch your fingers, lol.

Huskee

I own a huskee 22 ton with 6.5 briggs engine...i split apx 15 face cord a year, works fine for me.. on sale for 1000$$ tsc. Dan:givebeer: :popcorn:

I wont recommend a splitter, because there are many good splitters on the market. But it sounds like the 37 tonner maybe overkill for your needs. I have the NT 22 ton model and split about the same amount of wood you are talking about. It is serving me just fine, for a bit less $$$. I was in Northern Tool a few day ago and looked at their splitter line up on the showroom floor. I noticed the 22, 30, & 37 ton model didnt have the hydro filter on them. Now, I'm not sure if these "floor" models were intentionally absent of a filter and housing or if NT discontinued the filter on these splitters. If you are leaning towards a Northern Tool splitter, I'd inquire about the filter to make sure its not something you may have to purchase in addition. I know that last years models included the filter and housing.

Not so sure about that!

Timberwolf is sweet, but a bit pricey. I have an Iron and Oak 30 Ton. Had free delivery, too :clap: .

I bought my Timberwolf from a fairly local dealer 4 months ago (within 35 miles) and paid $2320 for it with taxes out the door - and that included the delivery grate which was a $300 option. It also has a Honda GX series engine standard. The unit was set up, test run, and complete with oil as well - and the dealer went through the operation of the unit with me.

The Iron and Oak 20 HP horizontal (which is comparable in size to the TW-P1 that I bought) has a current price of $2545 with a Honda GX engine - and that doesnt include a delivery table! Your 30 ton if it's a horizontal, is currently $3035 with no delivery table.

So I think it's Iron and Oak that's a bit pricey even though it's a good unit as well!

Al :cheers:

Last edited:
What splitter would you recommend? I will split maybe 4-5 chords a year for my stove. I want a splitter to last me a long time so I will pay some extra $$ to get quality. I have looked at the following:

Northstar 37 ton with 9 hp Honda, can get for about $1700. Looks well built and has a Honda commercial engine.

Huskee 35 ton. $1699 12 HP B&S Has some good reviews.

Club Cadet 27 ton $1600 Honda home owner engine not as well made as the other two.

Or go with like an American AM-24HH Cost would be like $2200 before shipping. Have no clue as to shipping cost.

I don't want to spend $1200 on a splitter and have to replace it in 5 to 7 years. Thanks.

Have you looked at Cub Cadets other model? I've not seen one but it does run true to brand with A Kohler engine for those who have a motor preferance. Here's the link. http://tinyurl.com/3lwpzm

I sure do like American. They are local made for me and will be my next splitter. I currently run two different models. The first one is a John (AKA Do Wood). I hope to get eight more seasons out of this splitter. The other is a Jacob (AKA Get Wood). I hope to get nine more seasons out of this splitter. Both are noisy to run, use a ton of fuel, and their exhaust smells like Sh.. Their best feature is the built in self stacking option. Dad always said run what you got. I hope this helps. Good luck.

If I were going to buy another splitter I would seriously consider one of these. It looks like a great price to me.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=96907

Someone on here bought one. I think he had a couple small problems but he took care of it.

The small problems he had could certainly be considered big problems to someone else... I'd recommend reading the thread in question to anyone who may be considering buying this HF splitter.

If I were going to buy another splitter I would seriously consider one of these. It looks like a great price to me.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=96907

Someone on here bought one. I think he had a couple small problems but he took care of it.

i recently purchased this HF splitter http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=91840 and am rather dissatisfied. They layout is terrible, leaning way over hot engine and pump to reach the control valve and tripping over the tire when i need to step back (in horizontal mode). Many leaks to fix. Split pieces fall right onto high pressure hose outlet of pump. Very hot operation (thermometer strapped to ram reaches 180* in 40 minutes and then i shut er down). It's not very user friendly overall....dreaming of heavily modifying it at some point.

i recently purchased this HF splitter http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=91840 and am rather dissatisfied. They layout is terrible, leaning way over hot engine and pump to reach the control valve and tripping over the tire when i need to step back (in horizontal mode). Many leaks to fix. Split pieces fall right onto high pressure hose outlet of pump. Very hot operation (thermometer strapped to ram reaches 180* in 40 minutes and then i shut er down). It's not very user friendly overall....dreaming of heavily modifying it at some point.

I'm taking it that you wouldn't recommend it? The picture is showing the splitter in the vertical position but it looks it's pretty much laid out like my Huskee.

The one that I posted has a lift. That's what got me excited about it.

Last edited:
Back