Log Splitter Shipping Advice Needed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
genovet

genovet

ArboristSite Lurker
I trying to figure out the cheapest way to ship a used Timberwolf log splitter from Indiana to New Jersey (775 miles). Hoping that someone can suggest a freight carrier or some other way that I haven't considered.

Thanks.

BuddhaKat

BuddhaKat

Addicted to ArboristSite
Tell ya what to do. Put it on a truck, ship it here to Reno, and I'll hold on to it till you can find a owner/operator that needs a cash backhaul. ;)

Old Goat

Old Goat

ArboristSite Operative
Road trip. One person 2 days, 24 hours of driving, 8 hours sleeping, 2 hours down time to gas up, eat, and load splitter, 34 hours total time . $200 for fuel, $50 for a motel, $20 for food.

Two people 1 day, 24 hours of driving, 2 hours down time to gas up, eat and load splitter, 26 hours total. $200 for fuel, $40 for food.

genovet

genovet

ArboristSite Lurker
I've done my share of road trips. Some of my best memories are of road trips...mostly buying cars. However, I just can't take a day or two off from work any time soon so I'm looking for an inexpensive alternative.

Thanks.

never2muchwood

never2muchwood

ArboristSite Lurker
Genovet,
U-Ship is an excellent resource, but with the higher costs of fuel last couple years folks just can't haul quite as reasonable any longer so that gets a little pricy anymore, well worth looking into though.

Another option for you, and I have used them an awful lot. Build yourself a cheap pallet out of 2 X 4 lumber & a piece of plywood. Use two cheap tie down straps or a $4 roll of tie wire, and a few strong eye hooks, figure out your size and approximate weight, (figure plenty of weight) and then either go to www.freightquote.com or better yet, call their 800 number and they'll give you a free quote and I can almost guarantee it'll be the cheapest way you will get it moved. I would guess a couple hundred depending on the size. Before you go to the trouble of building your pallet, just figure out what the size of it would be, and call freightquote at 1-800-323-5441 and get a quote from them. If you haul it this way you'll need to drain the oil & gas but this is a good way to haul items. Any questions feel free to email me, I've done it many times and would be happy to help as others on here have helped me. I'd be willing to bet freightquote would be the most reasonable way to haul it.

Another possiblility for you, there is a man from Columbus Ohio that does hauling & he is in both the area's you mentioned alot, be happy to get you his info if you don't want to palletize this. Or try posting your information on this link below and see if anyone is going your way and can help you out. It's an old tractor board but they won't mind if you post your info. Good luck!

http://www.yesterdaystractors.com/cgi-bin/haulquery.pl

Latest posts