Log Splitter wont split

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duramax

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I just go a log splitter today. It didnt run so i cleaned the carb and got the engine running like a top. I went to use the hydros and it would go to the log very slowly and then stop then engine slightly bogs and then if i keep trying and eventually splits it, these are very small peices and it sometimes wont even do it. Ive cleaned the pump and check for any visable signs of wear and couldnt find much. I took apart the control unit and it seems fine, i took off the filter and their was two big plastics peices and a whole bunch of metal shavings and i am going to replace the filter tomorrow. Does anyone know what it could be. I was reading other post and it was saying how to test the cylinder but it does not make sense, and i couldnt tell when hose to take off of the cylinder thanks for your time:msp_biggrin::msp_biggrin:

The only plastic that is usually found in the hydraulic system of a log splitter is in the filter base. The filter base is the aluminum housing that the filter screws onto. This housing usually has a by-pass valve in it which is made of plastic and is spring loaded. If the by-pass valve breaks the spring or small shaft that holds it in place can get into the tank and sucked into the pump. The metal shavings could be from damaged pump gears or metal ground by the gears. Metal shavings in the fluid could cause many problems such as; scored o-rings in the control valve, scored seals in the cylinder, partially open relief in the control valve, or loss of pump pressure.

To test cylinder seals extend the ram all the way out, remove the hose to the ram end of the cylinder. Place the open end of the hose in a container, start engine and slowly push control lever to the extend position. If fluid flows from the openning at the ram end the seals are damaged.

CAUTION, if the seals leak high pressure fluid may spray from the openning.

I'm by no means a mechanic but this sounds like what the splitter I'm usin was doin, I had my friend who owns it and re-built it look at it, his diagnosis was a lovejoy, not sure what or where it is as I have not had the time yet to find it and replace it, but as he explained it, it sounds like a valve between the control box and ram. Maybe someone who knows splitter mechanics would know more?

Do i disconnect the hose from the back of the cylinder or the front by fron ti mean the part the ram come out

A lovejoy is the two steel pieces that go on the shaft of the engine... And the shaft of the pump. There is a rubber spider in between the two. Also called a coupler. It sounds to me like you might have some water in the hydraulic oil. If it was built right there will be a drain at the bottom of the tank. Loosen the plug and drain some out... Drain until the milky crap is out.the hydraulic oil will settle on top of water due to its density. Hope this helps and good luck!

Do i disconnect the hose from the back of the cylinder or the front by fron ti mean the part the ram come out
Run the ram all the way out and then disconnect the hose closest to the splitting wedge and then try to run the ram out towards the splitting wedge some more. What you are doing is trying to force fluid past the seals in the ram.

Yes what Do i take the front hose off or the rear hose, do i remove it from the cylinder or control unit

I drained some fluid and put it in a container, i let it sit for a long time and their was about 1/4 in of water at the bottom, would this cause the problem

If it has water in it, I'd drain the hydro tank flush the system with diesel and refill with new clean hydraulic fluid and filter. Water is not good in a hydraulic system. I've got one of my splitters running with traditional tractor 20w hydro fluid and one running with 5-20 motor oil can't tell any difference in performance. My commercial mower hydro's run the 5-20 as much as it get circulated pumped in hot weather I thought it might help the unit run a little cooler.

you didn't describe what the plastic pieces looked like.

sounds to me they might be cylinder seal parts. the metal shavings could be from the piston rubbing against the cylinder walls.

Water in the oil can make the splitter weak... Or not even move at all. You should replace the seals in the ram and flush the system. You can replace with sae 30, tractor hydraulic, or automatic transmission fluid.

The plastic peice was yellow no other way to describe it i will try to get the ram off and apart today and will let you know, and where do you think i could get a rebuild kit for the cylinder

hang on a sec.....before you go ripping the cylinder apart, do some basic checks first.

can you see inside your tank? if so, leave the cap off and start the engine. in "neutral" you should see oil flowing into the tank. during the "push" stroke you should see no oil being pumped in the tank. this is because the oil is being forced into the cylinder.

with a log in place, try splitting it. if the cylinder stops or slows and you see oil being pumped into the tank then it's possible the seals are bad on the piston.

however, you could also have a bad control valve and it's leaking oil as well.

do you have a gauge on that splitter?

Ive go bad news for me. I took apart my cylinder and the seals are bad see the pics. Their is also that plastic stuff that i saw in the filter and its inside the cylinder. Its the yellow stuff in the pic. Does anyone know what that yellow stuff is thanks Does anyone know where i can get a rebuild kit the part number on the cylinder was 022559 and its a Cross brand

Last edited:
Take cylinder into Hydraulic place nearby. Have them get a kit for piston and the seals on the shaft. More than likely they're old and dry too.

The yellow stuff looks like nasty dried up grease or maybe some water got in system!

Ive go bad news for me. I took apart my cylinder and the seals are bad see the pics. Their is also that plastic stuff that i saw in the filter and its inside the cylinder. Its the yellow stuff in the pic. Does anyone know what that yellow stuff is thanks Does anyone know where i can get a rebuild kit the part number on the cylinder was 022559 and its a Cross brand

it ain't that bad, man.....and save yourself some money and replace all the seals yourself.

do you know the brand and model number of the cylinder?

Latest posts

Back