Log Splitter wont split

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thats what i was going to do i wont pay someone to do something i can do, i do all of my work myself, but i found two sets of numbers on the cylinder their were above each other it was 022559
34841 The make of this cylinder is cross and the yellow stuff was hard like plastic

That plastic may be a spacer/backer washer for the ram o-ring. The seal kit will come with a new one but you need to flush and clean your hydraulic tank/system too so that no nasty stuff gets back into your ram. If it has a hydraulic filter change that out too.

Yes it has a filter i already ordered the seal kit it was like 21 shipped. Yes i am going to clean everything, i plan on taking the pump apart again, and taking apart the controler. and cleaning the hosed and the tank, i have a parts cleaner so i should be able to get everything pretty clean, when i was trying to empty the take i just disconnected the outlet hose on the pump and it didnt seem to be pumping out very much is that normal with the line off since their wouldnt be any pressure

Question guys...obviously the seals are bad but wouldn't you see hydro fluid leaking somewhere? Just asking cuz I don't have a clue.

Question guys...obviously the seals are bad but wouldn't you see hydro fluid leaking somewhere? Just asking cuz I don't have a clue.

it's leaking around the piston most likely. sure, the ram seal is bad, but it's still holding the oil back.

Ok their is a seal on the front cap of the cylinder and a seal cap on the rear of the cylinder. Those seals just seal the fluid from getting out and leaking. Their is one more seal connected to the ram rod thats the one that was broke and thats why my log splitter wouldnt split anything because it was leaking by but since the end cap seals are good it didnt leak outside of the cylinder

I like it guys...my splitter hasn't been splitting big rounds lately. It has been really struggling. I changed the fluid and filter but that didn't help much. I think I'll take the cylinder apart over the winter and look at it. Is it hard to do. I'm pretty mechanically inclined but definitely know my limitations. MGA thanks for the feedback and duramax glad you're on your way to a working splitter. Nice job!:clap: It really is amazing what others do to share their knowledge in this place. What a great community!

I like it guys...my splitter hasn't been splitting big rounds lately. It has been really struggling. I changed the fluid and filter but that didn't help much. I think I'll take the cylinder apart over the winter and look at it. Is it hard to do. I'm pretty mechanically inclined but definitely know my limitations. MGA thanks for the feedback and duramax glad you're on your way to a working splitter. Nice job!:clap: It really is amazing what others do to share their knowledge in this place. What a great community!

Depends on what type of cylinder you have. If you have a tie rod cylinder like the OP has you take the nuts off end of the rods. Pull cap, cylinder tube, off. Pull rod out other end. Putting it back together correctly is more important. Also remember, the cylinder will be full of fluid. So be careful.

On a welded cylinder you would need to machine the weld off in order to take apart.

Some cylinders do have and open end with a snap ring holding the cap in.

Tricky

I just go a log splitter today. It didnt run so i cleaned the carb and got the engine running like a top. I went to use the hydros and it would go to the log very slowly and then stop then engine slightly bogs and then if i keep trying and eventually splits it, these are very small peices and it sometimes wont even do it. Ive cleaned the pump and check for any visable signs of wear and couldnt find much. I took apart the control unit and it seems fine, i took off the filter and their was two big plastics peices and a whole bunch of metal shavings and i am going to replace the filter tomorrow. Does anyone know what it could be. I was reading other post and it was saying how to test the cylinder but it does not make sense, and i couldnt tell when hose to take off of the cylinder thanks for your time:msp_biggrin::msp_biggrin:

I had the same thing happen to my splitter and after positioning gauges in several areas to determine if pressure was adequate I replaced the O rings in the piston. Cost was $1.28
Kind of a messy job draining the piston.
It's a sealed system, how could water get in?

Tric

I had the same issue. No power, wouldn't split butter. Finally deduced it was the ram.
Buddy had a new in the box Prince piston that his dad had purchased 5 years before to make a splitter...but he took sick and passed away.
Sold it to me for $50.

Now it can split solid iron blocks.

The one i have was not hard to do their arnt very many peices, i do this stuff alot and with motors and fixing cars, so its easy to me just take your time and take picstures if you have to and take it apart slowly to make sure you see where the stuff goes

tricky,

The hydraulic system on a log splitter is not a sealed system it has to breathe because of the different volumes in the cylinder when it is fully retracted and when it is fully extended due to the rod. With every stroke air is sucked into the tank this air will carry moisture which eventually can build up in the tank.

The welded cylinder on mine has a screw off cap at the shaft end but it's a bugger to get loose. I usually break the cap loose with my chain wrench and cheater pipe before taking the cylinder off the splitter.

Log splitter

tricky,

The hydraulic system on a log splitter is not a sealed system it has to breathe because of the different volumes in the cylinder when it is fully retracted and when it is fully extended due to the rod. With every stroke air is sucked into the tank this air will carry moisture which eventually can build up in the tank.

I know that they have a breather with a dome cover. I didn't think they could get enough air/moisture to affect the hydraulic oil.

Tricky

When i get this splitter back together whats the best way to get it to cycle fast with out changing the pump or the cylinder, i was reading about making the hoses bigger thanks

Back