Log splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HeX0rz

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So, recently my log splitter pooped on me. The engines piston rings are shot, I think. No more compression and no power. I found out recently that the engine I have on there cannot be replaced with any other engine than the one thats on there. A local guy told me I can get any engine I want, I just have to change out the couplers or whatever that attach to the hydraulic pump.

Does anyone know of a place that sells engines for cheap? My engine on there is a 190cc or 6 something horse. Its a vertical setup, but was told I can do horizontal too.

I'd like to make it the easiest and cheapest on myself. Guy told me not to go much higher than the 6.5hp otherwise its wasted power...

I'm gonna tear into the engine tomorrow and see if replacement parts is a better idea.

I think pics and more info on the brand and style of engine would help. FYI most all small engines have that same mounting style. There are different size crankshafts but I see no reason you can use a different engine.:cheers:

Do you have a Harbor Freight near you? They have horizontal & vertical shaft engines cheap.

See this recent thread of mine. Asking a more specific but related question.

Long story short - the engine may be salvageable and/or may not be worth it. Cheap = HF chinese engines. I've read the horizontal shaft is preferred, but whatever works. Match up the shaft sizes, and maybe a base fitting needs to be rigged up, and you are splitting.

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=135177

Interesting news!

So I pulled the engine off the splitter. I went to try and remove the bottom-end to look at the crankcase.

I found that one of the bolts has a sheared head for some reason. So I could'nt get the bottom-end off. The coupler on the shaft is seized onto the shaft so I could not remove it. I would assume that I need that off in order to get to the crankcase without obstruction.

Anyways, I gave the pull cord a tug when the engine was off. I had also removed the muffler at this point because I needed to get to a bolt. When I gave it a tug, it started firing up!

I was shocked, and killed the engine. So for shiz and giggles, I mounted it back onto the splitter without the muffler, and gave her a tug. The dang thing sounds just fine! I don't know what the compression should be for a small engine like this, but the father-in-law said he could'nt feel very much compression when he had his finger of the plug hole.

So in essence. I think the muffler has been clogged up with something. Probably the oil it burns when it runs. Hence why it wont run well. So I'm thinking that this all leads to the piston rings being pretty much done for.

Sucker has plenty of power to split the wood now when the muffler is not on and its unbelievably loud, but I don't know if I can keep running it this way? Won't the exhaust valve burn up without the muffler on?

Two stroke engines need the muffler for compression control...but on a four stroke, the muffler is just a necessity for noise and heat hazard control...running with out muffler will also give a four stroke some extra power...

Two stroke engines need the muffler for compression control...but on a four stroke, the muffler is just a necessity for noise and heat hazard control...running with out muffler will also give a four stroke some extra power...

Oh I totally agree about putting a new muffler on.....I was only talking about the cons about not having one....

A new muffler as in a replacement B&S muffler specific to the engine?

I was told I could dunk it in gasoline for a couple days and then clean it out and the muffler I have would be practically brand new?

Or do you think I could just make my own muffler?

I was told I could dunk it in gasoline for a couple days and then clean it out and the muffler I have would be practically brand new?

Dude they are less than $20 at like home depot.

Really, I didnt even know they sold them at home depot... I'll give it a shot and see...

I don't know for sure. But I was always told that you can burn the exhaust valve running it without a muffler.

Billy

Won't the exhaust valve burn up without the muffler on

muffler isn't as important for exhaust pulse control like a two stroke.

won't burn the valves in operation. But the valves operate in a red hot range when under load. If it shuts down under hot engine, the cool air into the ports can warp the valves. Maybe more old wives tale then not, but the old circle cars with stubby direct exhausts would put the rubber balls or tin cans over the exhaust asap after shutting down to prevent that.

I always idle the mowers or equipment down for a minute before shutdown just out of habit. definitely important on a turbo engine to cool the impellor and more importantly the bearing oil and area to prevent coking up the lube.

never seen a burned exh valve or cooked turbo bearing an a stihl though......

k

Well ya you can get mufflers pretty cheap here and there as other point out, but for the $.50 worth of gas it would take to clean it...... almost priceless ! If that doesn't work then you can go blow the "big bucks" on a new one. What can I say other than..... I'm a cheap ass :biggrinbounce2:

Oh.... I'd be a little concerned as to WHY the muffler got clogged in the first place if that's the case. Never had one do that on small engines and I've had too many to count over the years old and new.

Back