Loggers..

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would like to add 440 to the list also. I have also wondered this..

When I was working with alot of other fellers, most of them ran 372s and 460. Seen a couple 440s and most of the time they kept a 36" 660 put up in the truck for when they needed it. I did'nt know anything about ported saws in those days. I ran an 066. If I knew then what I know now it would have been a ported 441CM, which you see alot around here now in the loggers trucks. I doubt alot of them are ported though.

When I ran a skidder I carried a 372xp wedged in the cab, just curious so I wanted to ask. I was thinking of using a 660 as my main carry and a small limb saw but wanted opinions....

I limb with the 372

A friend is a logger, and I've worked for him a few times running a skidder and bought a used saw off him.

Here in ohio he has a ported 372 and a ported 390. He says the husqvarna's hold up better for him. On the days I worked for him he ran the 390 more, but not by much. If there was a big hill and little trees he went for the 372. Flat ground and big trees he went for the 390. Anything in between he just used whatever was in his hand.

I limb with the 372

It's funny to me how we all look at the same saw differently. His little one is also a 372, he limbs with it a lot. My big one is his old 372, and I don't even touch that thing unless the tree is over 14" or so. I don't even like limbing with my 55 Rancher, I have a Stihl 021 for that. Once I work up the trunk until it gets small enough I switch to the 55, and once I get into the tops I switch to the 021. At least this way I have less re-fueling stops and normally can get by without stopping to sharpen anything.

Last edited:
Though I'm no logger myself, when in the saw shops that the PNW loggers frequent I have asked this and most want a 440, 372 or 460. The 660 is used much less due to the smaller trees that are cut nowdays. it appears that 10 years ago it was different but there just doesnt seem to be that many 36"+ trees being cut today.

I am merely a confused person. :msp_biggrin:

This is what I've seen while wandering about confused in the woods in this part of the country. The Fallers
:bowdown: use 460s in our second growth units. It was explained that a 440 would do until you had to pour the power to a tree, and then a 460 would provide what was needed--it is a safety thing.

The landing saw has usually been a 440 or in some cases a 460.

Trigger time?? The fallers :bowdown: get the most time on saws. I am sure they will chime in soon.

Last edited:
Allot of guys swithched to 460's when the 440 was discontinued. 372's are pretty popular with the husky guys.

almost two years ago I bought a 660. Up till then all my son and I ran were 460 (I had a great 44 years ago;))
Anyway, couple of years ago we started a boundary with some big stuff. So I went to a 660 with a 32" bar.
I've used it exclusively for felling ever since. I've recently tried out some ported 460s and there pretty good.
But on the stump I still think the stock 660 gets it done best. That's my 2 cents and that's all it's worth. If that.

For falling timber, most days its a 20in. bar on a 440. If I'm lucky enough to be in big stuff, or if its a short skid and the skidder operator is about to drive up my back Ill go to the 660, 20in. or 24in. bar depending on the timber.
If I'm cutting for horses, and I have plenty of time I'll grab my firewood saw, 361 with a 20 in. bar.

Stock 395 or 3120 with 24" bars for falling. 395 with 20" bar on the landing and 372 with 20" bar in the skidder. We cut hardwood all day everyday.

Back