Logging & CCW?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

closetoreality

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Does anyone carry their CCW when their out logging? I wanted to see if people keep them in their skidder or on them or what not.

i always carry a IWB. but i have an OWB with a snap strap so it can't fall out either...seems like a perfect type of holder to have out there in the elements.

I like to carry water and munchies. They are usually concealed in a pocket or backpack:eek2:....should any boogiemans appear, I peel my banana, and throw down the peel. Learnt that from watching Monty Python.

Don't them Indoor Wood Burners and Outdoor Wood Burners get kind of heavy to pack around?

Carry a gun in the woods? Nah...If I sense some kind of serious threat I'll usually call in an airstrike from one of our helicopters. Just the usual stuff, a little napalm, maybe a low-yield nuke. That way we don't have to stop work.

Oh wait...I think there's an old 30-30 wrapped in a greasy blanket stuck down behind the seat in the crummy. It was there last year, anyway. I'll have to look.

Carry a gun in the woods? Nah...If I sense some kind of serious threat I'll usually call in an airstrike from one of our helicopters. Just the usual stuff, a little napalm, maybe a low-yield nuke. That way we don't have to stop work.

Oh wait...I think there's an old 30-30 wrapped in a greasy blanket stuck down behind the seat in the crummy. It was there last year, anyway. I'll have to look.

"Rockeye 1 niner, Rockeye 1 niner, this is Silver Top, we have zero-one Mountain Beavers in treeline, fire for effect" :hmm3grin2orange:

Should the banana peel fail, this is my backup. The Used Dog is 80 pounds of pure fury.
216304d1326169648-walk-up-pct0001_13-jpg

View attachment 216304

i dunno i find it hard to believe no one carries, especially when your out in the middle of nowhere.

Well, sometimes we're in the middle of nowhere. Other times we're just kinda on the edge of it. Sometimes we can't find nowhere at all.

Seriously, though...we have chainsaws, axes, large motorized yellow machinery and a real aversion to being messed with. By anybody. Or anything. That seems to be enough.

Last edited:
I've had a CCW since 1975. Never carried when I was cutting. Had a doe sneak up behind me one time. Not sure what her intentions were, but she left peacefully;)

One of the scariest moments for me was this. It was a bright and sunny day. I was checking the fireline construction around a cleacut unit. The slash was pretty high and there was brush on the other side of the boundary. I came around a corner to see a huge mound arise. I was very close to a big cow elk, who had been napping in the cleared area. She snorted, I jumped, she jumped and she took off in the opposite direction. They are very big when you are close. That was a heart exercising moment.

I don't log out west, but archery elk hunt. I always have a 44 mag handy. I'm not too excited about having a run in with a bear in Grizzly country and not having a weapon. Of course, I'm not running a saw, but rather imitating a cow elk. Doubt bears come into the sounds of equipment running.

Carry a gun whilst logging? You're kidding right? I mean in Alaska maybe the bad people/bears/aliens are tougher and don't care about the sound of a chainsaw but that is not the case here in friendly California. OK I have met some people that I would have liked to have shot but that was just because they irritated me, not threatened me. More of a sport shooting. Like the saying goes, some people are alive just because it is illegal to kill them.

I too have a greasy 30-30 behind the seat but that is for coyotes and the occasional suffering cow. Now that you reminded me I need to check the grease level.

Back