Logging & CCW?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I keep a taurus revolver on or near me most of the time- it shoots .410 or .45 long colt. I have it not so much for protection as for supper duties, only in season of course :)

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dbA9W0eOpbY?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dbA9W0eOpbY?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

Has a pink "X" on it, so I think Slowp's already laid claim to it. :yoyo:

I keep a taurus revolver on or near me most of the time- it shoots .410 or .45 long colt. I have it not so much for protection as for supper duties, only in season of course :)

Same here, same gun. You should look into the Federal lever action rounds wicked looking and accurate. Ran into a sow and cub on my trail while falling timber. Bought the Judge that evening.

219962d1327648818-gp100-jpg
i just picked this beuty up for next deer season View attachment 219962

219962d1327648818-gp100-jpg
i just picked this beuty up for next deer season View attachment 219962

Yup, that's all we need. I guess one could not do as much timber marking so one could ditch a can of paint to carry a hogleg like that because someday, something bad might happen.

Nope, the temptation would be too great as in "Bet I can shoot that bee nest out of that bush over there."

Or, "I thought I told you to take a wider strip." BAM!

Or, "You have the load ticket in your pocket?!" BAM-- end of problem.

Nah.

Yup, that's all we need. I guess one could not do as much timber marking so one could ditch a can of paint to carry a hogleg like that because someday, something bad might happen.

Nope, the temptation would be too great as in "Bet I can shoot that bee nest out of that bush over there."

Nah.

That's right. Loggers usually find some use for every piece of equipment they carry in the woods.

I couldn't hit anything over 120 feet distance with a revolver (I couldn't hit it with a rifle either if it's not moving, to be honest). I mean, isn't that a bit short barrel for deer hunting? Anne Oakley?

amazingly accurate, at 50 yards i can bounce a pop can around with it. i am going to put a scope on it so that 100 yards is doable. with a shoulder holster i can fall timber and kill me a dear when the need arrises. and it just cool.

That's right. Loggers usually find some use for every piece of equipment they carry in the woods.

I couldn't hit anything over 120 feet distance with a revolver (I couldn't hit it with a rifle either if it's not moving, to be honest). I mean, isn't that a bit short barrel for deer hunting? Anne Oakley?

I never took a shot over 100' with my revolver, but I know some people get pretty good with them. I have my revolver loaded with 3 .410shells and 2 .45LC, so far I mostly bring home turkey and grouse, shot dozens of porcupine, but left those in the woods. I take my dog along in the woods often and he hates porky more than I, having one firsthand introduction that he learned from. I learned too, after picking 100quills from him. Not a fun day for either of us. Dog now has a 'porky bark' that I respond to appropriately:)

Nah.

I don't worry about shooting in anger. It's been 31 years ago now but I got tested. Came home and caught my ex in bed with some dude. Had my model 19 S&W 357 under my arm and never touched it. Didn't even cross my mind to shoot him. I did beat him to a bloody pulp and put him in intensive care for 48 hours. But honestly that was only after he took the first swing. I always wondered WTF he was mad at me about? I was just pissed at the old lady but hell I didn't lay a hand on her either. She didn't even call for an ambulance I had too do that. ..people are nuts.

i carry in the woods out here a little .22 with snake shot and my loved ruger .44 autoloader, but around here there is things to worry about we have all different kinds of snakes, bear and panthers, and the occasional loon in the woods.

Not to long ago I was talking to another faller who told me a story. He said he had just fell a tree walked down limbed and bucked. When he turned around there was cougar walking down the log at him. He kept his saw throttle pegged and walked towards it. It finally jumped off the log and headed off. He said thinking later that it had to have been right behind him while he was falling that tree. He caught glimpses of it the rest of the day.
I have had only two times I wish I was carrying and wasn't. The one I said above and when I had a younger bear come to check me out. He came everyday for a month to see me and try to take my jugs. When he didn't show was when I got nervous. Bear season opened and a sow and cub came in a few weeks later. I think one of the land owners got the young one.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=48.823797,-122.216394

Back