LogLifterII

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I can actually justify buying a high lift jack now. We had one on the farm when I was a kid so I do know the pro's and con's of their design.

Log Lifter - the huskyhank version.

Here's my log lifter. It works great.

The 2 X 2 X 1/4" steel tubing "legs" are 16" long.

The "hooks" that go under and grab the log are made from 3/4 X 1 1/2 solid about 6" long in front of the tubing legs.

The 1 1/2" angle iron near the apex is attached so that the nose of the jack fits comfortably underneath. The space for the nose is about 1 5/8" wide.

I'll show pictures in action tomorrow. I used it today but forgot my camera (and the wrench for my lag screws for my guide board so didn't get to do anything but raise and block up a log).

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I'm pretty sure it won't break.
:cheers:

Used the loglifter today

I milled some mystery wood today - some kind of gum perhaps but I'm not sure.
The loglifter worked great, the 3120 is a great milling saw and I now have a new stack of nice looking wood.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Not in Tenn.

Does look like sweet gum. What did it smell like?

Not much smell - but its been down for at least six months. Whatever it is its about as hard as walnut so I'd call it medium hard hardwood. The bark was wet today - when dry its lighter color in the fissures.

Not much smell - but its been down for at least six months. Whatever it is its about as hard as walnut so I'd call it medium hard hardwood. The bark was wet today - when dry its lighter color in the fissures.

That rules out sweet gum. It's very soft and very strong smelling. Sicky sweet smelling.

Maybe its Black Gum, also known as Tupelo?

Idk, the only gum we have this far south is sweet gum. I have a whole trailer load of logs of sweet gum that I got today. Mill is paying $38 per ton for hardwood logs over 14'. I figure I have about $200 worth on my trailer from that one job which is great because sweet gum is just about worthless.

Thanks for sharing your designs!

I built mine today, leaning heavily on Husky Hanks version. It works well but next I'll need to do something to stabilize the jack.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Thanks for sharing your designs!

I built mine today, leaning heavily on Husky Hanks version. It works well but next I'll need to do something to stabilize the jack. [/IMG]

Looks good - yeah you look like you need to stabilise the sideways movement of the jack.

I also see your log has moved forward so that base of the jack is now some distance away from the log. This can happen if a small round branch or log is used to support the other end of the log, or the surface is soft, or very hard and smooth like concrete, and the log slides away from the jack.

If this becomes a problem what I do at the other end is lift that end of the log with the jack and place a wide cookie with a step cut in it about 2/3rd the way across the cookie. Place the cookie with the step side facing up. The Cookie has to be thick enough to withstand the weight of the log. On the lower step face cut a "V" notch into the surface so the log end sits in that. This is often enough of a height gain so that no further lifting is required until most of the log has been cut. The move the jack to the other end and lift away.

Good job!

Some angle like BobL used on his will help steady it. I've been meaning to do that to mine. Or some cable or light chains attached to the top of the jack main beam and at each end of a piece of 2x6 under the jack. The 2x6 will give you a big foot print on the ground too.

On yours, I'd also add some stops for the nose of the jack so the log/lifter can't slide across the nose and get out of balance - something to keep the log centered on the jack.

Looks good - yeah you look like you need to stabilise the sideways movement of the jack.

I also see your log has moved forward so that base of the jack is now some distance away from the log. This can happen if a small round branch or log is used to support the other end of the log, or the surface is soft, or very hard and smooth like concrete, and the log slides away from the jack.

If this becomes a problem what I do at the other end is lift that end of the log with the jack and place a wide cookie with a step cut in it about 2/3rd the way across the cookie. Place the cookie with the step side facing up. The Cookie has to be thick enough to withstand the weight of the log. On the lower step face cut a "V" notch into the surface so the log end sits in that. This is often enough of a height gain so that no further lifting is required until most of the log has been cut. The move the jack to the other end and lift away.

Guys all great ideas - one thing I did for a mate here was fabricate a triangular base plate (out of 5/8 plate) with ground spikes (couple of 3/8 bolts) for him to jack his 4x4 up on soft ground ie mud/sand.

I don't have a picture and not very good at drawing on the computer but try to picture it with the widest part of the triangle towards the log about 12" wide parallel with the log flat with the pointy end facing the jack base. A small angle iron frame on top of the base plate to slide the base of the jack into it with a carry handle in the middle balance point of the base plate and the pointy end under the jack cut off square with the jack so that the corners on the handle side of the jack base meet the two angles going toward the log. I hope this makes sense ?

BobL might draw it to make sense. It works a treat and stops the jack falling toward whatever your lifting as it always does. Weight of the plate is similar to the jack so when carrying it you will be balanced with jack in one hand and plate in the other.

One more thing we did was - once we even put a heavy crow bar into the carry handle slot with the bar laying away from the jack with a log under the far end to give the base plate more leverage at the base to stop the jack tipping over because we were on a slight downhill slope.

Hope this all makes sense. If not let me know and I will try and explain it better.

Hey Bobl and huskey hank. Do you guys think You can repost the pictures of your log lifters. I no I will be in need of one and words say a lot but pictures show so much more.

Thank you
Beefie

I've been meaning to re-post some of my pictures that were lost.
I've found them now and will work on getting them back up.
Some to come in this thread shortly...

Attachments

• loglifter1.jpg
    loglifter1.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 119
  • loglifter2.jpg
    loglifter2.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 116
  • loglifter3.jpg
    loglifter3.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 104

Latest posts