Logosol owners

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Overloaded ute

MM, What about using a boat winch and a set of rollers to pull logs up onto your mill?

Also, unless you plan to saw 36" wide slabs or boards, what about cutting large diameter logs into quarters using a CSM (maybe even on site) then you can haul the 1/4 log up onto your mill and if you set up a clever 1/4 log holding jig you can even quarter saw boards from it.

A 900 mm diam x 2.4 m long log (density of 1 ton/m^3) will weigh about 1.6 tons. 1/4 of this is only 400kg which is significantly more manageable.

I think , I have been overloading me hilux a bit . Getting the log on the sawmill is the easy part , once the log is on the mill , it's the rolling it over , that's a pain when there that size . I just read something , about using a sliding sling of chain underneath the log to roll the log's over . I did the quartering thing , with a big pine log . My neighbor bought a cheap forklift , so sometime in the near future , we are going to have a go at slabbing some of his other tree's , more likely just a couple of large but log's , what sort of gum , who know's , neither him or me know , the bloke that owned his property about 20 year's ago , planted all the tree's on his place . Mite be just about time to build a csm like your's eh Bob , only mine won't be anywhere near as flash . Cheers MM

Anyone got any idea's on log rolling on logosol type mill's? beside's using a cant hook , which is what I use , get's a bit hard on 36" log's , I am looking for a better manual handling idea , small log's are no problem , may have to get BobL to make me one of his flash cant hook's only a 10 footer . Cheers MM

If you don't have a machine to lift it a chain block hanging from the roof maybe.

Or if your mill is sturdy enough; some band mills use a heel which lifts one side of the log from underneath effectively rolling it over - its pretty hard on the table though especially with the bigger logs.

I also had an idea of screwing some heavy lag bolts into the pith of the log at each end to lift from making turning easier. Like a rotary veneer mill.

Sturdy no problem

If you don't have a machine to lift it a chain block hanging from the roof maybe.

Or if your mill is sturdy enough; some band mills use a heel which lifts one side of the log from underneath effectively rolling it over - its pretty hard on the table though especially with the bigger logs.

I also had an idea of screwing some heavy lag bolts into the pith of the log at each end to lift from making turning easier. Like a rotary veneer mill.

What's this heel thingy look like? No problem with the mill being sturdy enough , being made of steel . With the bigger log's , I normally just put them straight on the mill , without the ladder , then split them in half , take em both off and put the ladder back on , put one half back on and mill it that way , but quite often you get a log on the mill and need to maneuver it into position . Which usually involve's rolling it on the mill . Got any pic's of the heel thingy , mite do a google on it . Thank's for the idea's gentlemen . Cheers MM

What's this heel thingy look like? No problem with the mill being sturdy enough , being made of steel . With the bigger log's , I normally just put them straight on the mill , without the ladder , then split them in half , take em both off and put the ladder back on , put one half back on and mill it that way , but quite often you get a log on the mill and need to maneuver it into position . Which usually involve's rolling it on the mill . Got any pic's of the heel thingy , mite do a google on it . Thank's for the idea's gentlemen . Cheers MM

The "heel thing" is a off-radial-axis hydraulic lift/ram that pushes upward and on an angle, which lifts and rolls the log against a stop.

Along the same lines, what about something like in my picture?
belt the hook in with a lump hammer and crank away. You'd have to reset the hook after about an 1/8th of turn but that should be easy enough.
attachment.php

Last edited:
Hi lift jack

The "heel thing" is a off-radial-axis hydraulic lift/ram that pushes upward and on an angle, which lifts and rolls the log against a stop.

Along the same lines, what about something like in my picture?
belt the hook in with a lump hammer and crank away. You'd have to reset the hook after about an 1/8th of turn but that should be easy enough.
attachment.php

Interesting idea Bob , many brain's definitely better than one . Cheers MM

Logosol forum

I had a look on the Logosol forum , I read some article's on Logosol M7 fine tuning , not very impressive , one bloke reckon's it took him 2 hour's to fine tune it after moving it and at best it sound's like he mite be able to fine tune it in 20 minute's . This is every time you move it , what a pain , when I moved mine , only thing I done was make sure the feet were level and that was only because I thought well if I put a 2 ton log on it it mite twist or bend slightly , hurray for steel . Cheers MM

Turning big logs is a chore on the logosol mill. A cant hook and a helper or two works for me.

To get the logs on the mill I made up a portable ramp that has "steps" where the log can rest as I roll it up using a cant hook. Have loaded 12' X 25 " logs by myself.

I had a look on the Logosol forum , I read some article's on Logosol M7 fine tuning , not very impressive , one bloke reckon's it took him 2 hour's to fine tune it after moving it and at best it sound's like he mite be able to fine tune it in 20 minute's . This is every time you move it , what a pain , when I moved mine , only thing I done was make sure the feet were level and that was only because I thought well if I put a 2 ton log on it it mite twist or bend slightly , hurray for steel . Cheers MM

Yeah, I downloaded this thing myself. After reading part of it, just left it alone. Still got the damn "manual" around here somewhere. Like you said, nothing to "tune". Just set it on solid, level ground and cut. Hell man, it didn't that that long to put the mill together. I guess the Logosol forum's got it share of BS too. Just like here, ya gotta wade through it.

Rodney

Getting the log's on is the easy part

Turning big logs is a chore on the logosol mill. A cant hook and a helper or two works for me.

To get the logs on the mill I made up a portable ramp that has "steps" where the log can rest as I roll it up using a cant hook. Have loaded 12' X 25 " logs by myself.

Hi Professor .... Getting the log's on is the easy part , I use the same crane I get my log's on the ute with , to put them on the mill , the bigger the diameter of the log , the shorter I cut them , around here , at this time of year , it's firewood collection time , I get most of my log's off of the side of the road , when the weather get's ruff , all I do is get a firewood permit to collect wood off of the side of the road , cost's $10.00 for a month per road , I use me ute and a strap to drag them out of the bush , then load them on the ute , I try to collect as many as possible , then cut them up during the off season , just about that now , another month it will be fire ban season , they wont give us permit's to get wood then , I get most of my firewood from a farm very close by , all Messmate Stringybark tree's (Eucalyptus Obliqua) another under valued tree , my neighbor got an outdoor setting made out of it , a couple month's ago , real nice .

Thanks for the photos MM. It looks like fun work collecting those logs and I'm glad they're not going for firewood.

I just turn up at the tree loppers yard and there they are waiting for me to slice up.

It sure does look like you are overloading that ute. How much can the crane lift? It looks like a little beauty!

Cheers

Yes i think your right mate

Yeah, I downloaded this thing myself. After reading part of it, just left it alone. Still got the damn "manual" around here somewhere. Like you said, nothing to "tune". Just set it on solid, level ground and cut. Hell man, it didn't that that long to put the mill together. I guess the Logosol forum's got it share of BS too. Just like here, ya gotta wade through it.

Rodney

Yes i think your right mate! ...... I really think maybe , that a number of clowns have not set there mill up correctly in the first place , but I was surprised , to see some experienced operators using the tune up manual though , Raphael for one , I had a look at his web site , not bad stuff , gotta get me self a bigger set of wader's :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: . Doe's the Logosol M7 twist and bend easily or much? .......... http://www.logosolusa.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=1&Number=2761&page=0&fpart=all

Thanks for the photos MM. It looks like fun work collecting those logs and I'm glad they're not going for firewood.

I just turn up at the tree loppers yard and there they are waiting for me to slice up.

It sure does look like you are overloading that ute. How much can the crane lift? It looks like a little beauty!

Cheers

Sound's like your on good thing mate! ...... It is one of those cheap Chinese one's , one of the best thing's I have bought , you can pick em up for about $160.00au now . Safe working limit's for this unit are , 230kg's-507Lb's fully extended and unextended 450kg's-992Lb's but will lift a lot more , a bit like me ute . I re-engineered the the stand the crane plug's into , was a real pain sticking out of the deck , along with my vice , I hacked that of too , it made it to hard to unload me log's , I had to lift them all off , instead of just rolling them off . Cheer's MM They also have a 900kg-1984Lb's version

Yes i think your right mate! ...... I really think maybe , that a number of clowns have not set there mill up correctly in the first place , but I was surprised , to see some experienced operators using the tune up manual though , Raphael for one , I had a look at his web site , not bad stuff , gotta get me self a bigger set of wader's :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: . Doe's the Logosol M7 twist and bend easily or much? .......... http://www.logosolusa.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=1&Number=2761&page=0&fpart=all

I'm not sure what your after here hoss, but some things are very clear to me. You seem to have some sort of thing about the Logosol and I don't know why. I can say that just about everything you said about the cant bending down near the last cut and that sort of thing is somewhat true. It's also true that "stuff" was talked about and dealt with(the ladder) some years ago on the Logosol fourm. Along with the water hose, longer bars and a few other things you brought up.
The truth is, that mill will do every thing they say it will on the DVD and a lot more. The mill is so simple it hurts. And the thing is, it works. It has limits and so far the owners have found ways around them. So the mill seems to be more about the owners than about the mill itself. It looks to me like you have done a lot of reading on the Logosol fourm and built a cheap, homemade copy that most likely looks like the M7 did 50 years ago.
The wading through BS remark was as much (or more) about this fourm as any other fourm.

Rodney

Info is for eveyone to help

I'm not sure what your after here hoss, but some things are very clear to me. You seem to have some sort of thing about the Logosol and I don't know why. I can say that just about everything you said about the cant bending down near the last cut and that sort of thing is somewhat true. It's also true that "stuff" was talked about and dealt with(the ladder) some years ago on the Logosol forum. Along with the water hose, longer bars and a few other things you brought up.
The truth is, that mill will do every thing they say it will on the DVD and a lot more. The mill is so simple it hurts. And the thing is, it works. It has limits and so far the owners have found ways around them. So the mill seems to be more about the owners than about the mill itself. It looks to me like you have done a lot of reading on the Logosol forum and built a cheap, homemade copy that most likely looks like the M7 did 50 years ago.
The wading through BS remark was as much (or more) about this forum as any other forum.

Rodney
I do beleive that Handlogger wanted info on the Logosol M7 sawmill and not just a polished up view like the dvd . There has also been other member's that have asked for info , who are also considering building their own version of the M7 , so I am happy to provide as much info as possible and hopefully save them a lot of money an hassle , I do believe I have done that so far , As for being dealt with at the Logosol forum , that is all very nice , but unless our member's here , have very strong binocular's or are a member of the Logosol forum , they like me would not be getting any info about the Logosol and therefore the issue's need to be dealt with on this forum , I just joined the Logosol forum when this thread started , I thought well where better to get more info , so our member's can build a better sawmill than I did , even my setup need's work and I am happy for people to comment on my setup , whether positive , negative or other , I feel it is much more important for people to have as much information as possible , so they can make an informed decision . Imbeachy made a similar one for I think about $100us and he has some good idea's that I am happy to use , sound's like jonsered want's to build his own as well , I hope his is better than mine , I am sure that he will come up with some good idea's too , which I will be happy to use also , isn't this what a forum is all about , making friend's , sharing idea's providing info , having a laugh , there will be occasion's when we don't agree , but like they say , sheet happen's . Now as to my question , doe's the Logosol twist and bend much , I will also be asking this question at the Logosol forum :greenchainsaw: :greenchainsaw: :greenchainsaw: Cheers MM As to copying , tell me who hasn't copied the bandsaw , circular saw or car and many other's , all these thing's would be similar copy's , but some are better .

... As to copying , tell me who hasn't copied the bandsaw , circular saw or car and many other's , all these thing's would be similar copy's , but some are better .
Exactly... well said. If I can improve a machine in my shop either by building a clone myself with the improvements in it, or tweaking one already bought (what I end up doing most of the time) then I'm gonna do that for sure. I agree with you MM that one of the benefits of a forum like this one is sharing ideas and maybe IMPROVING designs. I've gotten good ideas from aggie, rail and others. Keep 'em coming.

Exactly... well said. If I can improve a machine in my shop either by building a clone myself with the improvements in it, or tweaking one already bought (what I end up doing most of the time) then I'm gonna do that for sure. I agree with you MM that one of the benefits of a forum like this one is sharing ideas and maybe IMPROVING designs. I've gotten good ideas from aggie, rail and others. Keep 'em coming.

+1

It's one thing to measure up a specific product and make and sell 10,000 exact clones with no improvement, and another to look at 10 different mills and then make your own using the better features of each mill combined with your own ideas. This is how we progress, otherwise we'd mostly still be using axes.

Another great thread!

Thanks to all our Aussie friends, as well as to those closer to home. :clap:

I agree that rational discussion is a powerful tool for anyone willing to consider both sides of the issue. And as far as originality goes, even "the greats" have been questioned. I mean, does anyone really believe that Gutenberg was the first to communicate via print? No, he just improved on the concept enough so that it became more efficient and, therefore, more readily available to all. And that's basically what many free thinkers have fostered: improvement.

And what did the man say? "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery." And here's one I like even more because I believe it fits most who would contribute to a venue such as this one, "Necessity is the mother of invention." And even if you're scratching your head right now, you've got to admit that the folks that came up with these adages were some pretty wise fellas. :)

Thanks to all who have contributed thus far ... :cheers:

All I have to say is Exelent just Exelent

I have to say that this thread has been , exelent just exelent thank you to all .Cheers MM

Latest posts

Back