Lombard chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heres the AV Super Lightning i picked up recently.

Lee

LombardComangoAV002_zps1fae18bd.jpg

That is sweet!

Twin to my AP-42 type on first page of thread.

Thanks.

Looked like it to me, too. Just don't know these saws very well and there seem to be an infinite variety of the same thing like the Homies of the day....even blue ones during the C-H era.

Any ignition issues with these? Guy says it was running great and just quit one day. Examined plug lead and seemed to think it was scorched from being routed too close to the muffler. Re-routed it and still nothing. Bought a replacement carb but never put it on and is just unloading the saw now cause he doesn't want to mess with it any more. Says compression is very serious and the top end is still real nice.

I'm first in line, but may need a little nudge to pull the trigger on it. Sure is nice and clean with a 24" b/c and spare Tilly if nothing else.

Thanks.

Looked like it to me, too. Just don't know these saws very well and there seem to be an infinite variety of the same thing like the Homies of the day....even blue ones during the C-H era.

Any ignition issues with these? Guy says it was running great and just quit one day. Examined plug lead and seemed to think it was scorched from being routed too close to the muffler. Re-routed it and still nothing. Bought a replacement carb but never put it on and is just unloading the saw now cause he doesn't want to mess with it any more. Says compression is very serious and the top end is still real nice.

I'm first in line, but may need a little nudge to pull the trigger on it. Sure is nice and clean with a 24" b/c and spare Tilly if nothing else.

It may just need a good tune up.
Points, condenser, plug and maybe
a carb kit, fuel line and filter. If the
top end is good it should be an easy
fix.

Lee

I was dead set I was going to buy that saw and at the last couple of minutes I chose to pass on it....urrr I should have bid on it.

It's a sweet saw. Although i was hoping it
didn't quite go as high as it did. But just
had to have this AV saw. never seen one.
It runs great just sucking bar oil into the
crank case.

Lee

old 040

the lightening IV and V, plus the GLP500-500A were 5.1 c.i., i still have not come across one of these as of yet, i did sell a very nice av model 4.2, and a c/h labeled model this last year.............:msp_wink:

old040
Your question brings back memories. In August 1963 our salesman Fats Herbert from the Cincinnati branch brought a promo type of the XL-12. We were dealers from 1951 to 2004. My husband was so impressed he said he would take 50 by the first of October and if they didn't get them by then to take off one saw every day On Oct. 3, they called and had the order at Cincy. All the serial numbers started with 150 and as yet I haven't seen a number any lower. We had a blue Buick station wagon and somehow we got all of them loaded into that vehicle. Had to remove a few from the box.
I remember him explaining to us that an engineer of Homelite worked on this in his basement so other companies couldn't spy on what they were doing. When it appeared most of the other manufacturers stopped everything and spent there time trying to copy it as much as they could.
Lombard did a real good job and Remington also. Hope this is of interest to the younger generation.
chainsawlady

Thanks.

The Lombard uses the same magnetos by Wico and Phelon that are used on the PL/SL-4 Remys and XL-12/SXL Homies. You just have to watch where the points box is clocked around the crankshaft. I stacked up the flywheels and could see no difference.

Friend Dan's saw has a compression release and I have to use it to get it to crank. The two I have, I put rings in thinking the comp. was low but it made very little difference. Must be a change in combustion chamber size between the different production.

Carl, This AV saw pictured has a decomp as well.
Very hard to pull without using it. I have never seen
one with a decomp before. Or at least that i can
remember.

Lee

old040
Your question brings back memories. In August 1963 our salesman Fats Herbert from the Cincinnati branch brought a promo type of the XL-12. We were dealers from 1951 to 2004. My husband was so impressed he said he would take 50 by the first of October and if they didn't get them by then to take off one saw every day On Oct. 3, they called and had the order at Cincy. All the serial numbers started with 150 and as yet I haven't seen a number any lower. We had a blue Buick station wagon and somehow we got all of them loaded into that vehicle. Had to remove a few from the box.
I remember him explaining to us that an engineer of Homelite worked on this in his basement so other companies couldn't spy on what they were doing. When it appeared most of the other manufacturers stopped everything and spent there time trying to copy it as much as they could.
Lombard did a real good job and Remington also. Hope this is of interest to the younger generation.
chainsawlady

great story, but i'm confused about what my question was?. I do remember running these AP42's fresh out of the box, and was impressed by them, this is also the same time the homelite 360 and the 3400 poulan came out, we sold many of them, actually the guy i worked with took on the lombard line by himself, and were really only sold by word of mouth by the customers that came to the store (it was agreed upon by the owner of the store and the guy that took on the lombard line), we only sold the av and non av ap42's and the 22/24 series saws, i left the store later that year, i think the lombard line went belly up the next year (1983).................:msp_wink:

Oiler check valves wanted.

I could use a couple more auto-oiler check valves to fix two Remy SL-4A's. Wanted dead or alive.

Also, I ran accross one that uses a plastick disc instead of the duckbill. No repairs were needed on that one.

Carl.

When it appeared most of the other manufacturers stopped everything and spent there time trying to copy it as much as they could.
chainsawlady

It was obvious someone was imitating someone but until now I didn't know who started it.

Pretty easy to see the design similarities...

xl12ap42sl11_zpsacfa1b49.jpg

xl12ap42sl11a_zps0bdf0a62.jpg

Bill

It may just need a good tune up.
Points, condenser, plug and maybe
a carb kit, fuel line and filter. If the
top end is good it should be an easy
fix.
Lee

Well, went ahead and picked it up today...40 bux. Came with the spare carb and extra dog. Complete, solid, and clean. Top end looks good through the exhaust, but I wasn't impressed by the compression. That said, there's a pretty hacked helicoil job for the plug that may be partly responsible and will need to be re-done sooner than later if it'll take another one installed properly.

So, no spark. Guy claimed he needed to re-route and repair the plug wire due to arching against the muffler causing it to cut out, but it recently just quit running.

Think I may have found that problem!

attachment.php

attachment.php

All in all it was worth the ride and I'm becoming more and more appreciative of these older saws. Though this one isn't exactly a classic old saw, there is a certain cool factor about it and there's 68cc's in a fairly nice little package that should be fun to run when I get it going.

So about the availability of misc parts for this rascal? Whatchya got old 040?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back