Look what followed me home...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave_dj1

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
An older Fransgard winch
The price was right and it seems to be in working order, I have to scrounge up some chokers before the weekend.
I do need to take the handle off and straighten it out some, it hits my fender when I lift the 3 point all the way up.
May give it a test this weekend.
There are two legs that go with it, I'm not certain if I will put them on or not, seems to be about right as is, don't want them hanging down too much.
zG0doj9.jpg

z39tGrLl.jpg

0887gEsl.jpg

It's a winch to put behind a farm tractor.

I always made my own chain chokers out of the chain ends from straps on trailers, use the triangle on the strap end as the ring and just lengthen the chain,weld an old Tedder tine on the other and you have a choker. Works pretty good

An older Fransgard winch
The price was right and it seems to be in working order, I have to scrounge up some chokers before the weekend.
I do need to take the handle off and straighten it out some, it hits my fender when I lift the 3 point all the way up.
There are two legs that go with it, I'm not certain if I will put them on or not, seems to be about right as is, don't want them hanging down too much.
zG0doj9.jpg

z39tGrLl.jpg

0887gEsl.jpg
Nice find and a very useful tool. I bought a new one a few years ago. It is a very handy tool for getting logs or trees pulled out of the woods without making roads up to trees that you want removed. It also works great putting a bit of pressure on a tree that you want to drop in a certain direction. Just don't put too much pressure on one or it could barber chair on you when cutting one down.

I like chain chokers with hooks like this:

iu

It lets you slip the chain in without having to pull the entire chain through a ring.

I use 100 grade chain as it's lighter for the same strength. It makes a difference when you are carrying it up a steep hill. Costs only a few $ more than 70.

I like chain chokers with hooks like this:

iu

It lets you slip the chain in without having to pull the entire chain through a ring.

I use 100 grade chain as it's lighter for the same strength. It makes a difference when you are carrying it up a steep hill. Costs only a few $ more than 70.
Mine are similar to that. They work great. If you get a snatch block that releases you can pull around trees that are in the way if a straight shot.

Mine are similar to that. They work great. If you get a snatch block that releases you can pull around trees that are in the way if a straight shot.

Yep, self-releasing snatch blocks are really useful. I got one of these:

https://stewardshipsuppliers.com/co...1/products/igland-self-releasing-snatch-block
When I was shopping a while back that was the best deal, and it's a good design with no gap between the frame and pulley for the cable to jam in. It works best when rigged upside down.

You can attach it to a tree with a web lifting strap with eyes- loop the strap around the tree with one end through a loop, stick the other end through the big hole and put the eye around the tang sticking out the back. No hardware needed. There are also slots for chains but those will damage the tree.

https://stewardshipsuppliers.com/co...1/products/igland-self-releasing-snatch-block
When I was shopping a while back that was the best deal, and it's a good design with no gap between the frame and pulley for the cable to jam in. It works best when rigged upside down.

You can attach it to a tree with a web lifting strap with eyes- loop the strap around the tree with one end through a loop, stick the other end through the big hole and put the eye around the tang sticking out the back. No hardware needed. There are also slots for chains but those will damage the tree.
That is the same one I bought with my Igland logging winch. It does work great.

That is the same one that I got with my Igland logging winch.

Attachments

• 20220513_192001.jpg
    20220513_192001.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
An older Fransgard winch
zG0doj9.jpg

z39tGrLl.jpg

0887gEsl.jpg
I have a major penchant for old winches. My father sold his Cooper winch and anchor that was behind an old Fordson Major. That was a sad day, it was perfect and irreplaceable congrats on that. Great find.

Latest posts

Back