Looking at a Dolmar PS421

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Dolmar 421 is my go-to saw for most of my firewood cutting. I have a 16" Oregon Pro-Lite bar and .325 LP chain on it. It won't outcut my Stihl MS361 but then again, it's a lot lighter and easier to sling around.

There is no good reason not to buy that saw if you want one.

Anyone running 3/8" on theirs?

This is the saw I was wanting when I bought my 510 but the 510 was on sale.

I have a 421 with a 16" low pro 3/8 chain on it. First saw I grab now and I have 2 stihls. Actually I prefer my 421, then my 5100 and then my 180Stihl and then my 310 Stihl. Go flippin figure!

My Wife has one.
I love that little saw.

Oh, The wife likes it as well.;)

David

I tell people that they will not believe what its like once they start cutting with one. When this one pukes (which I hope is not for a very long time) I am buying another one.

I'm definitely digging your setup that you have and I really like semi chisel.

I started out w 3/8" Lo Pro, it didn't work too well for my conditions. I switched over to 95VP and couldn't be happier. It is a great balance of cutting ability and stay sharp characteristics. Cutting a lot of black locust growing on sandy ground, I need semi chisel.

I would like to thank everyone here for their input. As to the post above we don't have the money to just buy a new saw if I buy one with issues. I did ask this question on multiple forums to get the most information I could. I am trying to do my research before I buy saw. My fiancé has worked in the tree trimming industry in the past. She has used Husky, Stihl, and Jonsered. But not Dolmar so when I told her that is the saw I wanted she was worried that they were not as durable or that they did not run as well. I am sorry you think I waisted people's time.

I would like to thank everyone here for their input. As to the post above we don't have the money to just buy a new saw if I buy one with issues. I did ask this question on multiple forums to get the most information I could. I am trying to do my research before I buy saw. My fiancé has worked in the tree trimming industry in the past. She has used Husky, Stihl, and Jonsered. But not Dolmar so when I told her that is the saw I wanted she was worried that they were not as durable or that they did not run as well. I am sorry you think I waisted people's time.

Handle and Start a Dolmar 421 and you will see they start and run as good or better than anything. They have to be the easiest starting saw out there. You will also see they are built very solid.

Dolmar invented the gas powered chainsaw. They are also built one at a time by one builder start to finish. No assembly line, just good quality hand built.

If money is that important to you, then I understand wanting to buy the best machine possible for the money. That is why we all say Dolmar is the way to go. Get your hands on one and try it. You will understand once you see it and try it.

Just to show that dolmar isn't perfect, my Dolmar 420 (old version to the 421) had a defective coil when brand new out of the box! I was janking for a few days till my arm went limp. Couldn't believe it. Was exchanged without a problem. Since then a defective chain tensioner, that was my fault since I forgot to tighten the bar nuts... :angry:. And even that was exchanged under "warrenty" two years later by dolmar. Always stay focused when working with a chainsaw! You won't spill the chain oil on your chaps since you overlooked closing the oil cap...
posting.php

Am I DISAPPOINTED?

I have a bunch of pro saws, but it is the only saw I brought to my parents in laws place to have a saw there to cut their firewood! And they heat quite a bit with wood. It is the only work saw there now besides a dolmar 2000W electric saw! So NO I am NOT disappointed! The only disappointment, although not really, I have is that there is a newer model(421) with 0.3hp more...

I think some people should post some videos of their 421's in use.

Please.

Just to show that dolmar isn't perfect, my Dolmar 420 (old version to the 421) had a defective coil when brand new out of the box! I was janking for a few days till my arm went limp. Couldn't believe it. Was exchanged without a problem. Since then a defective chain tensioner, that was my fault since I forgot to tighten the bar nuts... :angry:. And even that was exchanged under "warrenty" two years later by dolmar. Always stay focused when working with a chainsaw! You won't spill the chain oil on your chaps since you overlooked closing the oil cap...
posting.php

Am I DISAPPOINTED?

I have a bunch of pro saws, but it is the only saw I brought to my parents in laws place to have a saw there to cut their firewood! And they heat quite a bit with wood. It is the only work saw there now besides a dolmar 2000W electric saw! So NO I am NOT disappointed! The only disappointment, although not really, I have is that there is a newer model(421) with 0.3hp more...

LOL - I did that once with my 394. I didn't realize that it had happened until my neighbor came running over when he saw this red wet sheen covering my left leg chap. Emptied the whole tank on my leg.

He thought we were going to be on our way to the ER.

I went to the local dolmar dealer today and fondled a 421 for awhile. I am definitely going to have to get one of these before they put the makita name plate on them. Lol

Back