looking at a larger saw...?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Night Owle

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I need to buy a bigger saw...
the largest I run now is a Stihl .036
with a "24 bar. I like stihl chain saws.
My question is this: a new MS 650 Mag
is $939.95 , a new MS 660 is $1069
this would be with a "36 bar.
whats the dif should I spend the
extra $130.00.

Thanx Night Owle.......

extra $130.00.

Thanx Night Owle.......

Going from a 036 to a 660 is quite a jump. What will the primary use of this saw be and what will the longest bar be on it.

The difference is only the top end and IMO the 660 is well worth the extra $$ quite noticeable when run side by side!

Come up and see me and Ill take care of you. I am "only" up in Essex, MA.

Go with the 660 I just got one and it will pull alot of chips with a 36" full comp burried in about 44" of hard maple. I was a little worried when I first got it about lack of power on that 36" bar. Now I got about 5 gal. thrpugh it, it has come aroud nice.

Here is a 660 buried in a 63" cherrybark red oak with a 36" bar. get the 660 and do not look back, well worth the money. Also, put a 24" bar on it when you do not need a big bar and it might be the only saw you use. It pulls chips so hard they sting when the hit me with the 24" on it.

I would go with the 660. Big bars look intimidating, but the longer the bar the more power your gonna lose. I try to go with just enough to get through what Im cutting. I keep several bars and chains hanging in the saw crib and try to match acordingly to the size of the job.

Kenn:chainsaw:

I recently added a larger saw to the stable, a few
observations.

If you have a long walk, its heavy, after a long day it gets
heavier. I have a 36 bar for the big saw and it shares a
24 and 22 with my smaller saws. 22-24 inch bars aren't
bad when it comes time to dress the teeth. A 36" chain
takes a while to sharpen.

I enjoy the power and speed through the cut of the largest
saw (95cc) but still find the 72cc and 36cc are very useful

A big saw is a much needed tool, but you'll still find a lot
of use for the smaller hammer too.

-Jason

Move up to a MS460

I have a 3 460 Magnums w/ 24" bars and they are an awesome saw.

I have a 660 also but rarely use it.

Found myself using a MS361 w/ 20" bar...nice saw and works hard.

I also have a MS260PRO and it is an awesome saw.

But if you are running a 360 you will be pleased with a 460 the 660 is probably too big for you to use on a daily basis. I thought i need a 660 and then i bought it and rarely use it.

However, I will probably buy and 880 soon just to have one.

lol

if your still considering

extra $130.00.

Thanx Night Owle.......

here is a link that discuses your 650/ 660 dilema. Also, for my 2 cents I like a 28" bar on my saws as that allows the average sized man 5' 10" to 6' 1" to cut a ground level with out bending over. Makes a difference at the end of the day depending on what your doing.
http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=50277

Last edited:
Cant see the logic with a 650, same package weight and size only a different sticker, but a few less CCs and less power.

If your at a 360 the jump up to a 460 is not huge, the 660 is though.

I don't find the 660 too much saw to cut wood with and I am not a big guy. I like cutting with a 50 or 60 cc saw 260 or 359 and an 066 for anything bigger.

Just not as much fun cutting wood anymore unless it's with square chain, and a ported saw. Just no turning back.

MS650
DISPLACEMENT ENGINE POWER

84.9 cc 6.4 bhp

385xp

Cylinder displacement cu. in. 5.2
Engine Power hp 6.2

Bailieys online
HUSQVARNA 385XP Chain Saw (Chainsaw) Powerhead Only
Price: $699.95

34" Power Match Chainsaw Bar for Husky Chain Saw
Price: $68.95

Latest husqvarna saw. This new saw is essentially a suped up 385 with a larger clutch. The displacement will give you a little more stump power in a lightweight frame. Bar and chain sold separately.

390XP WITH HALF WRAP HANDLEBAR
Price: $789.95

HUSQVARNA 395XP Chain Saw (Chainsaw) Powerhead Only
Cylinder displacement cu. in. (cc) 5.7 (93.6)
Engine Power hp (kW) 7.1 (5.2)
Price: $889.95

Let's say $25 for the chain loop. Better deal.

if you are down south , it is a great time to buy saws at pawn shops.

Why is that?........IMO,if it were me,I'd get the 660.The 650 is a good saw for it's class,but it weighs roughly the same as a 660 which is much more powerfull........You can't go wrong with either though,run a 24 for everyday cutting,and either saw will happily pull a 36 inch bar for big felling or stumping.

Ya i agree with the other guys....

espically if your gonna spend that much money....go for the big dog...

what is the old sang go big go home

anyways you big for almost the same weight...your not going be saying one day damn i wished i had the bigger saw..your gonna say what...damn i am bucking this tree up too quick

time = money...thing long run

just my thought

i have a brand new 066, ms660 forsale. never used, bought it like a month ago. never even put gas in it. 950 and its yours. comes with 2 extra stihl chains

Haha...i dont no if thats drastic...i mean common a pinto...

i have a 20'' on a 036...and i love it, i can run through 18 inch oak logs...like butter...

i do have a 25 though on a 260 pro...i have specailized it for brush clearing on hillsides though.

here is a link that discuses your 650/ 660 dilema. Also, for my 2 cents I like a 28" bar on my saws as that allows the average sized man 5' 10" to 6' 1" to cut a ground level with out bending over. Makes a difference at the end of the day depending on what your doing.
http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=50277

Same here, exactly the same, 5'11" and use 28" bars, perfect. Small bars are lame, unless you are climbing.

Back