Looking at a new saw: 028S vs 034

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sven556

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I am currently using a 028 wb as my main saw (which I'm converting to an 028 super), with an 009L for smaller stuff/backup. I really would like to get a newer saw with a chain break. I am pretty happy with the performance of my 028 so far but I have read that the power to weight ratio is lacking. I've also read that the 028 has a lot of torque compared to similar newer saws. I really enjoy the torque of my 028, and wouldn't want less.

There is a 034 for sale locally and I'm wondering how they stack up. With the difference in cc's I'm guessing the 034 will have more torque and more power? What is the weight difference like? I see all sorts of weights just for the 028!

034AV will smoke the 028. Higher revving & more cc's and not much difference in weight, add a 16-18 bar and square chisel and you'll never look back.
028AV=47 cc (2.87 cu. in.) &
MAXIMUM ENGINE RPM:
ecblank.gif

034AV=56.5 ccm (3.45 cu. in.) &
MAXIMUM ENGINE RPM:

Anyone know the actual weight difference between the 034 and 028? I've seen the 028 listed anywhere from 11 to 13.5 lbs. If the 034 checks out ok, I will likely pick it up. I can always sell it later!

Well I checked out the saw and it seems good all around. It sputtered first pull cold and fired off and ran on half choke on the second pull. I turned it around, while running, to check for seal leaks, and didn't notice anything. So I bought it. I think I got a decent deal on it. The only issue with it was to shut off the saw, it takes a firm up pressure on the control lever! Unfortunately, I did forget to check if the oiler works. Why is that so important on this saw? If this saw is almost the same as the 036 I would expect easy replacement parts either oem or aftermarket.

Well I checked out the saw and it seems good all around. It sputtered first pull cold and fired off and ran on half choke on the second pull. I turned it around, while running, to check for seal leaks, and didn't notice anything. So I bought it. I think I got a decent deal on it. The only issue with it was to shut off the saw, it takes a firm up pressure on the control lever! Unfortunately, I did forget to check if the oiler works. Why is that so important on this saw? If this saw is almost the same as the 036 I would expect easy replacement parts either oem or aftermarket.
It's easy to fix that shut off problem. Take a look at the spring that makes contact with the ignition wire on the switch rod. A small bend using needle nose pliers is about all it takes to ensure a better contact with the kill wire.

I have a feeling you got a bargain.:)

Yeah, I figured it wouldn't take much to fix the shutoff issue!. The asking price was $200, and after it basically started on the first pull cold, I didn't even try to talk him down. I hope it remains an easy starting saw, as that is usually the saw I will pick up and use.

Yeah, I figured it wouldn't take much to fix the shutoff issue!. The asking price was $200, and after it basically started on the first pull cold, I didn't even try to talk him down. I hope it remains an easy starting saw, as that is usually the saw I will pick up and use.
$200 is a bargain. I usually flip a coin between my MS361 and this one. Usually, I just try to even out the wear. Same weight, same power, same operator. Congratulations on a fine purchase. :)

Back