Looking at a used FS130 power head, what should I offer for it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, so I'm gonna hijack my own thread. I'm looking at an FS250R that is 3-4 years old, runs perfect, guy is asking $400+$45 shipping. I'm inclined to buy this over the FS130, mainly because a)more power b)2 stroke (less complicated and from what I read has better throttle control. Anyone care to weigh in on this?

I still recommend bike handles over loop handles for brush cutting. If you agree, Factor in the cost of handles and throttle controls. I believe the fs250 throttle handle is available as an after market item though.

I still recommend bike handles over loop handles for brush cutting. If you agree, Factor in the cost of handles and throttle controls. I believe the fs250 throttle handle is available as an after market item though.
Yeah for sure I would add the bike handles. So you think $400 is a fair price for this machine? From the pics it looks in really good shape, like it was looked after.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Ok, so I'm conflicted now. Haven't gotten a reply from the seller with a pic, but having second thoughts. With exchange (ebay seller) that FS250R becomes about $600 cdn. I can buy a brand new FS240 (with bike handles) from my stihl dealer for $698. So I'm asking myself, why would I buy a used 3-4 year old trimmer (yes legendary) over a brand new unit with warranty? Is there anything about the 240 that is not good?

I have a 240. I don't think it all that. I do find it powerful but am having a hard time with throttle response when running a blade. Admittedly, that is because I messed with the screws but I haven't gotten to tune it out. Power is very good, runs a shredder blade just fine. Fs130 has more torque, imo. But the Fs240 doesn't seem to be the most powerful at the top end. It also doesn't come with much. You get a powerhead, trimmer head,(cheap) harness and safety glasses. You have to buy any blade and the limit stop (saw blade guard) seperate. It adds up. A Husqvarna 336FR should come with everything: http://www.husqvarna.com/ca-en/products/brushcutters/336fr/966604702/

Tri blade, saw blade, trimmer head, harness etc. In the USA that is. What is available in Canada?

Are you dead set on Stihl? If you are get a FS130. If you want a 2-stroke, I would look at Husqvarnas offerings. It is hard to get over the torque of a 4-mix. It really sticks with you.

I have a 240. I don't think it all that. I do find it powerful but am having a hard time with throttle response when running a blade. Admittedly, that is because I messed with the screws but I haven't gotten to tune it out. Power is very good, runs a shredder blade just fine. Fs130 has more torque, imo. But the Fs240 doesn't seem to be the most powerful at the top end. It also doesn't come with much. You get a powerhead, trimmer head,(cheap) harness and safety glasses. You have to buy any blade and the limit stop (saw blade guard) seperate. It adds up. A Husqvarna 336FR should come with everything. Tri blade, saw blade, trimmer head, harness etc. In the USA that is. What is available in Canada?

Are you dead set on Stihl? If you are get a FS130. If you want a 2-stroke, I would look at Husqvarnas offerings. It is hard to get over the torque of a 4-mix. It really sticks with you.
Well seeing as it's main use will be clearing trails through small tag alders and diamond willows I guess torque might be more important than throttle response for delicate work. Not dead set on Stihl, just going on what I've read so far, I don't have a ton of experience using trimmers, just going on reputation I guess. I know Husky is good too, so maybe I'll just cool it for now and look around or wait for deals or sales. I know the kubota/stihl dealer has deals on this stuff periodically.

Found an FS250 on ebay with bicycle handle and looks to be in great shape, runs well. Guy has money back guaranty so can't go wrong here. Was about $500 shipped. I just like the idea of a 2-stroke....I guess it all started with my 1990 Merc Black Max 150 2 stroke, god I love the sound that thing makes....lol. Plus the complexity of the 4-mix scares me a bit as I will wrench all my own stuff whenever possible.

Latest posts

Back