looking at getting a stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also an ms460 has solid plastic around the starter handle (as do all the models in Brads pictures, except the ms660);

attachment.php

Whereas the ms880 recoil matches that in your picture (the holes continue around the handle);

attachment.php

Last edited:
Not that it matters, but they're all cast alloy:cheers:

I knew that :bang:, don't really know why i wrote plastic. :cheers:

(note to all the 460 cover in my pic is non-original as i couldn't find a big pic of original, ...probably is plastic :laugh:)

sorry for the no response i was sleeping lol. I've already got the money ready, just waiting on the seller to get back to me, tho they may already be gone, the 441 seems almost new , seller even has a picture of it with a tag dont know if it stolen almost seems like it. that or the ad was a joke, or an angry wife trying to sell her husband's chain saws lol?

well i was just gonna update saying no word from seller, but i rechecked my email again and apparently he has 3 left and their 440's so im gonna go look at them tommorow and see, hopefully test one

Something seems strange. I hope it'd no one wanting to ship them. Are they local? I would only do business in person. it's definetly a scam if the guys wanting to sell them through the mail. Be careful.

Behind saw in pic is most definetly an 880. See how the muffler is bolted to the crankcase.

If you're buying in person, and you think they are not hot, buy all you can affor.d

yeah its local, just how he worded his add, and his response doesnt seem like he knows alot. anything I should know about the sn, will it tell the year.

and apparently that 880 is a saw for sale, but hes calling it a 440, if it actually is a 880 and hes calling it a 440 its mine, ill let you guys know what i get tomorow morning/ afternoon before i go out to the farm to have some fun lol

me neither lol, i just know im giving him the money taking the saw and running lol

As others have posted, the potential problem is you might not be the first person who "ran :dizzy:" with those saws. I'd try to ask a lot of questions (of course without giving away the fact that his price is way too low) before handing over the $$. Not to mention being careful about where I met the seller. If you meet the seller away from his home or business, and have any suspicions, either walk away, or at least try to get the seller's license plate number and his first & last name. Never hurts to CYA!

Are you planning to buy both saws?

Edit--I recently did a guitar amplifier swap with someone via CL. I didn't worry much because I've got his name, email address, cell phone numer, license plate number, & the name of the band he plays in.

Last edited:
Good luck. I saw those on craigslist earlier in the week & thought about 'em but decided to pass because its a few hours drive from here.

Make sure they run before you hand over the cash, only thing I can think, if they are legit (ie not stolen) is that they have fried top ends or something.

anyone able to tell me if the serial number will tell the year or what to look for, should i ask him to bring tools to look at p&c

anyone able to tell me if the serial number will tell the year or what to look for,

Year, yes, but that doesnt tell you if its stolen. This is a tough one because you really need to take the serial number away & then have it run. There's not a ton you can tell by just looking.

My best guess - knowing the area these saws are from is that this guy used them at work & then they went home with him - maybe several years ago & maybe the company went out of business. Maybe they didnt pay him - Who knows. Its really tough to play a guessing game, you have to go with your gut. The reality is, if the saw was on ebay & stolen you wouldnt know it until you bought it anyway.

should i ask him to bring tools to look at p&c

IMHO if you want to check a saw, you need to bring your own tools. If Im spending any kind of decent money on a saw I will do a compression test (canadian tire sells a decent compression gauge for $30) and then pull muffler. On those stihls you should just need a torx 27 to remove the muffler.

If it all looks good then fire her up & make a couple of test cuts (i usually bring a small log with me just in case the seller says "oh i dont have any wood here" :p)

Good luck.

Ask questions about origin (I usually ask people 3 times if the saw is stolen).

Write up a simple bill of sale with the serial numbers and make him sign it..... you have covered your ass at that point against criminal liabilty for receiving.

Morally may be another story, but that's between you and the Big Guy Upstairs.

Back