looking at getting a stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ask questions about origin (I usually ask people 3 times if the saw is stolen).

Write up a simple bill of sale with the serial numbers and make him sign it..... you have covered your ass at that point against criminal liabilty for receiving.

Morally may be another story, but that's between you and the Big Guy Upstairs.

Imo, that's very good advice.

anyone able to tell me if the serial number will tell the year or what to look for, should i ask him to bring tools to look at p&c

quit wondering about years,its a redundant number. check the p/c ,check serial numbers( make sure they arent rubbed off). get a little background info on how he got the saws.

dont give out your phone number or address.

wow is all i can say, completely disapointed, here the guy was at richie bros and ended up being the only bidder on this pallet of saws, so anyways he just took picture of the 2 nicest saws, said they were this and that, even tho i asked if that picture was of 2 of the saws he goes yep yep, not even close when I get there 2 beat up 440's and an older husky 266. The 440's are "meh" they ran but took him a few tries. So I went to wendys to ease my disapointment lol got a burger but not a saw

wow is all i can say, completely disapointed, here the guy was at richie bros and ended up being the only bidder on this pallet of saws, so anyways he just took picture of the 2 nicest saws, said they were this and that, even tho i asked if that picture was of 2 of the saws he goes yep yep, not even close when I get there 2 beat up 440's and an older husky 266. The 440's are "meh" they ran but took him a few tries. So I went to wendys to ease my disapointment lol got a burger but not a saw

Oh great, a :censored:ing bait-and-switch scam. Hope that you didn't drive too far.

Edit: Hmm, edit didn't take the first time. The 440 & 266 are considered good saws. Did you get a price for them?

Last edited:
well i was just gonna update saying no word from seller, but i rechecked my email again and apparently he has 3 left and their 440's so im gonna go look at them tommorow and see, hopefully test one

Wow that sucks bigtime!

the 440's were $350 a pop and the 266 was $250. I am now regretting not getting the one 440 he started up, it was okish looking, started up in a few pulls, but what had me weary was he sad " theres no miles on this saw, you can tell by looking at the guides and rails" (when do saws have miles on them?)that had me a bit confused since the bottom showed signs of work in the bush, and the "new bar" the bottom and top by the rails were rusted a bit in the middle, but no scratches. I just didnt beleive that he knew the exact history on these saws since they were bought at richie bros, and ther were lots. So anyways I do regret not getting the 266, since while we had been there for bout 20-30 mins upon arriving and talking then running the 440, my dad decides to grab the 266, well sure enough after 1 pull she was just going like she was new, and it wasnt hot either been out in the fairly cold for about half an hour. Still that 440 haunts my dreams now. And after i went and ran my 390 for comparison, that stihl feels really nice. and i want that 70ish cc saw to fill the void between my 162 and 390. I need help for CAD

Don't beat yourself up over the 440, at least your Dad got something for your effort. With some patience and perseverance you'll find the right deal.

I'd be willing to bet that $350.00 would score you a nice 70cc saw in the classified section here at Arboristsite. You could probably get a rebuilt & modded saw from a member with lots of experience rebuilding & modding saws.

Don't beat yourself up over the 440, at least your Dad got something for your effort. With some patience and perseverance you'll find the right deal.

I'd be willing to bet that $350.00 would score you a nice 70cc saw in the classified section here at Arboristsite. You could probably get a rebuilt & modded saw from a member with lots of experience rebuilding & modding saws.

thanks, but i worded it wrong my dad didnt buy it he was bored of standing around while this guy gave me his sales pitch, so he just started the 266 and was really suprised. And he wont let me buy him a saw, hes still using his poulan 3000 he bought at a garage sale 20 some years ago.

I wouldn't regret it; if a deal gives you a bad feeling (and a bait-n-switch always should), it's best to just walk away. That 440 could have been a nest of troubles.

The times I ignored my hunches I always regretted it.

Baconator does it for me every time :)

Bright side is that you didnt end up getting screwed. It sucks it didnt turn into a great score for you, but honestly the minute you arrived and saw the saws he had were not the ones in the pic, I would have been extremely cautious.

Just be patient, you'll find a great deal sooner or later.

thks,im just waiting for something good to appear, even a fix er up er. but as many that look at the bargain finder of prince george area and around, you know theres very little saws around for sale, and 60% are wild craps lol

edit- but if anyone sees a decent saw around let me know,

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back