Looking for a firewood cutting buddy(s) in/around my area.....to share the burden

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great thread. I've thought the same thing, would be great to pool our talents for a couple of outings. Anyone near the Higgins/Houghton lake area?

Pcoz88 are you looking for a place to cut or someone to tag team with on cutting?

Hopefully, this will turn into the Firewood section's version of the Swap Meet, with members helping each other out. If you guys think it's a good idea, I'll volunteer some credits to sticky this.

I think it's a great idea and would fill a gap that the "Free firewood wanted" and "Cos. w/ free firewood for pickup" threads don't really cover. Call it "Cutting help wanted" or whatever you like. I think there are lots of users on here who would be glad to help others out in their local area, especially folks who might be having a tougher time with the more strenuous labor aspects of processing firewood. Quite a few of us on here actually enjoy the physical side of the processing as much as getting out the saws. There comes a day when every one of us will need a bit of help eventually.

Brilliant idea. If I was closer I would take you up but the map says nope. I'm in almost the same boat as you are. Sounds like the begining of a GTG.
ht3.jpg
jh.jpg
bh.jpg

Last edited:
manyhobbies, like the post. here is my experience:

last year this time I wasn't sure where my next firewood score was going to come from. I like to stay at least a year ahead on firewood so it has time so season properly. I did some research and found a logging outfit selling green log lengths for a fair price. my boss and a coworker both burn wood. asked them if they wanted to split a full truckload 3 ways. the logs would be delivered to work (bosses house) and we would cut/split after work. they agreed to the deal. we all ran our own saw with our own fuel/oil. cut a variety of lengths. one guy wanted 24", I wanted 16" and the other 12". I ended up doing more cutting than anyone but my coworker had a splitter that he let me use. the boss got away with the least amount of work as it was his property. i "think" the wood ended up being split pretty evenly though we weren't counting logs or truckloads. judging by what I have stacked outside i feel i got my fair share. My coworker and I ended up stacking the wood for the boss as well one night after work. i think i did more work than the other two but i also had the least to bring to the table, no land/space and no splitter.

all and all it was a good experience and I would do it again. i don't think anyone felt short changed and we all had fun running the saws.

generally i end up falling/cutting/splitting on my own. i try to recruit help for stacking as an extra set of hands makes the work 3 times faster.

ManyHobies I hope you find someone to help. I have a few guys that all burn wood and we help each other out and this kind of arrangement does work well. If I were closer to you I would include you but we are in the Eau Claire area and that is probably at least 2 hours away from you. Great idea and good thread as well. Good Luck!

Tim, are you going to TreeMonkey's GTG/build off on the 17th/18th? It's right in your back yard, Augusta.
Okay......this thread is taking shape! I'm happy that others are benefiting from it too!

It's always nice to have bucked up a tree, turn around and look back and it's in the truck! Or close to it! LoL!

This weekend is booked for me....but...next weekend I'll probably be cutting at Zumbrota on 3-10-2012 for my inlaws. They're getting low on wood too. Anyone available?

I think I'll start a Facebook event. Who here around me is on FB and would like to be added to the event?

I have a FB account, but hardly ever use it unless someone is putting up event pics or something there. I _MIGHT_ have a shot at coming down on the 10th, I try not to work 2 weekends in a row if possible, and I'm working this weekend. I'll be in touch mid next week. Zumbrota's only an hour and a half from here.

Steve we've got get some cutting done. I know you've mentioned it before and I've never taken you up on the offer but when your work schedule opens up some weekend let me know if your interested.

ManyHobies your to far from me to share firewood with but I'd be happy to help ya cut some up just let me know, my saws sit more than they get used so it would do them and me good I don't need anything in return! Great thread BTW.

One of these days, Andy, one of these days. Hopefully sooner than later.

Great Thread-Need Something Similar in New Mexico

I certainly wish I could find someone with whom I could share the burden of cutting, bucking, loading, splitting and stacking firewood here in New Mexico. I need help in felling trees and an area to cut. Anyone in the Los Lunas/Belen area that's interested please PM me. Great thread and original idea! Rep for OP and good luck in your quest! Islero

Tim, are you going to TreeMonkey's GTG/build off on the 17th/18th? It's right in your back yard, Augusta.

I am thinking about it. I met TreeMonkey last winter at GPT's GTG and he seems like a good guy. I don't think you were at that one but It would be good to meet another "Sconnie" AS member. I will have to check the family schedule.

P.S. Thanks for the advise on the 7300, I am very happy with it.

Okay......this thread is taking shape! I'm happy that others are benefiting from it too!

It's always nice to have bucked up a tree, turn around and look back and it's in the truck! Or close to it! LoL!

This weekend is booked for me....but...next weekend I'll probably be cutting at Zumbrota on 3-10-2012 for my inlaws. They're getting low on wood too. Anyone available?

I think I'll start a Facebook event. Who here around me is on FB and would like to be added to the event?

I wouldnt mind lending a hand, it would be about 1.5 hour drive for me to get down there. What time you plan on cutting? I will have to check with the wife if she has any plans for me yet, she is at church now. What do you have to cut? Are you felling? Bucking? I enjoy cutting and burn some wood myself. I cut wood mostly at some land about a half a mile from my house, usually by myself or with my wife helping. I also use an old Dodge snow commander for hauling along with my other wood haulers. I would be willing to help out others and would also like a helping hand myself sometimes. I too have been burned helping out people only to get nothing but a promise that the deed will be returned. I dont like even asking anyone for help.

Wish you were closer...!

Looking for a firewood cutting buddy(s) in/around my area.....to share the burden and just to have another person in the woods with me. Currently, the people I have helping do not burn wood.....and I don't have anything to give/help in return. I don't like cutting alone! For one....it's not safe (like cutting wood is safe).... for another.....it's just not as much fun. I would be nice to find a couple of guys.....

Hi Manyhobbies-

I wish I lived closer to you, but I'm 1,500 (?) miles away in Connecticut.
I'm looking for the same stiuation over HERE!
A few guys/friends to get together with, and CUT WOOD!

* HELLOOOOO CONNECTICUT MEMBERS!!! * ;)

Your situation sounds pretty good to me! (I don't even have a garage, where I live) and I haul all my wood with a '94 Chevy S-10 Blazer, crawlin' inside it (like workin' in a freakin' mine-shaft) to load it.
I've done 10 -20 Cords a year, doin' it "the hard way"...
Ahh, we do what we have to do...
..."Needs to be done, and the Devil will Drive"....isn't that what they say?

Well, I hope you have luck with your search!
Enjoy the weekend!

CTwoodnutt in the Western CT Hillz :rock:

CTwoodnutt, sounds like you need a trailer! That's what I am thinking of doing. One that dumps would be the best solution I can think of. Would like to find a "nice" used one. Most around here are sold when they are at the end of their useful lives.

CT woodnutt,cheapest and quickest trailer could be an old truck rear end. Check the local wrecking yards they might have a reasonably priced box laying around, bit of steel and some welding and away you go. For your blazer an S10 or dakota would be great and much better than putting it inside.

I'll have to see how finances are but I think I could make it, will know by wednsday-thursday. Zumbrota is only about 40 mins. away from here.

It's going to happen! There will be a large soft Maple (see pic in my profile) for the larger saws to 'play' with (fell/ maybe bucked)(but will not be dry and ready to burn so....not a real priority but....we'll see how much help we have).... Will have other dead/dry wood that needs to be cut....they're running out....Would like to get at least 8 pickup loads out of the woods (pickup/pickup trailer=2 loads). I'm hopping to have the splitter running....if the parts come.....maybe put a running 5hp on in place of the 8hp....???

http://www.arboristsite.com/members/manyhobies-albums850.htm <------- A couple more pics of the big tree that's coming down for big saws to 'play:heart:' with. :hmm3grin2orange:
attachment.php

Thanks to all who have made this thread what it is!

Dan, I'll know later in the week if I can make it.

Grizz/Andy - if I can get down there, perhaps we could work out a rideshare.

Dan, I'll know later in the week if I can make it.

Grizz/Andy - if I can get down there, perhaps we could work out a rideshare.

No problem, just give me a holler if you can make it.

Manyhobbies- about what time is this going to start at? Also should I send you a PM for an address or a meeting place?

Last edited:
Back