Looking for a new Husky

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrider

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
My current “big” saw is an Echo 8000 which is 80cc. It’s cut a lot of wood and I’m looking to upgrade to a new Husky because my local shop (where I bought the Echo) now carries them. Looking for suggestions.
Also, cutting wood to 16”, how many cords should I expect out of a commercial saw? Just curious on that because I’m not sure I got what I expected out of the Echo.

How do you maintain your saw? Do you use e-free fuel? Do you use cheap oil? Do you leave your saws sit outside? Do you run sharp chains or run them until they are dull?
I maintain them fairly well. Could be better though. Don’t use cheap mixing oil, saw is never left in the weather but I am guilty of running them until dull and leaning on them some

The 8000 is very much a commercial saw and alot of saw for the money. A step up in power would be a 661 or 390xp both 90cc class saws from your 80cc.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
I don’t know if I necessarily need more than 80cc but not sure if 72 is enough

I never ran a 372xp / 572 but my used 371xp kicks azz. I think a 572 would fill the nitch your looking for unless your looking to replace the 80 cc saw you have. If your keeping the 80 cc saw a hus 572 and 395 would be a nice selection to cut with.

Somehow I cannot forget the Husqvarna 394 that beat my Stihl 084 a few years back. He was running skip-tooth chain with airplane fuel and muffler modified. I was running a Stihl 084 stock with .404" pitch chain. I had beaten everybody at the GTG until he arrived with his Husky 394. It was a very close match , but he won. So, I lost the top-eliminator crown.

The bar length, rim size, the way the chain is sharpened matters. I lost a few speed cutting matches in the local fairs up against the local pro loggers. Till I learned how to do the chains.

They don’t do cutting at the local fairs do to insurance reasons even though nothing bad ever happened.

The bar length, rim size, the way the chain is sharpened matters. I lost a few speed cutting matches in the local fairs up against the local pro loggers. Till I learned how to do the chains.

They don’t do cutting at the local fairs do to insurance reasons even though nothing bad ever happened.
Last I heard Newaygo is still doing races this weekend.

Th

That’s what the guy at my small engine shop said as well. Will it pull a 32” chain easily?

It will pull a 32"chain around a bar without a problem- until you put that chain in a 36" log.......... if the chain is bang on sharp, you don't lean on it and cut softer woods- then yes, it might pull a 32" okay- but you have admitted to leaning on saws with dull chains and maybe you have some big hardwoods to cut. Skip chain would help, but in the end there is no replacement for displacement when is comes to running bigger bars in harder wood.

My new hus 385 Xp had no problem burying a 32” skip chain bar into 50”+ wood. While my new 575 was a tad slower with a 28” bar. The 50” trees were small compared to the rest at the mill that weren’t lumber quality.

Remember you can put any size bar on a bigger power head. But we can’t go longer on a smaller power head.

When there’s many cutting free wood in the same area clearing, the guys with the biggest power heads cut more faster. Funny the other guys would watch us. I lost a lot of free wood because I had a small saw at first. Buying the hus 2100 fixed that problem. After working my fulltime job I’d cut another 9’ rack body load every night,

I don’t want to sound like I’m beating up on Echo, because I’m not. They are a well-built solid saw, although the 8000 is a little bit slow. I would bet that up to a 28” bar the 572 is faster. You could keep your Echo around for the big stuff. They have the torque and oil output to pull longer bars

The 8000 is very much a commercial saw and alot of saw for the money. A step up in power would be a 661 or 390xp both 90cc class saws from your 80cc.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
Yep, Either of the above, the Husqvarna has a manual carb, which will give you way less trouble,
you can adjust and repair that as required, good luck with the electronic stuff when it plays up.

I don’t want to sound like I’m beating up on Echo, because I’m not. They are a well-built solid saw, although the 8000 is a little bit slow. I would bet that up to a 28” bar the 572 is faster. You could keep your Echo around for the big stuff. They have the torque and oil output to pull longer bars

If the echo is a tad slower add a skip chain and go up one pin size on the rim if it has plenty of torque.

Back