Looking for a new push mower

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fumbler

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello people.

My girlfriend and I are looking for a new push mower to replace the POS Bolens that broke (think it's a bad piston ring). I've searched the forums but it seems most threads are geared towards commercial ($$$) mowers.

Anyway, here are the criteria:
  • Priced around $350-400
  • Not self propelled
  • Mulching with side and bag options
  • Easy and secure height adjustment
  • Durable body and engine
  • Big rear wheels would be a huge plus. We have quite a few tree roots and dog holes to go over.

I've been looking at the Toro 20053 and Honda HRR216PDA .
  • Do any of you have experience with these mowers?
  • How do Briggs and Stratton engines compare to Hondas? For the price it looks like you can get a slightly -more powerful B&S than Honda.
  • Does anyone have any suggestions on other makes and models?

Last edited:
I've been running the Toro 20053 for a while now and am quite satisfied. I bought it because it was one of the few uncomplicated, lightweight, feature-free mowers left out there. It mulches very well, and is a good bagger, too. I presume it side discharges adequately, though I've never put the chute on and tried it. And it rolls nicer than most push mowers without ball bearing wheels.

The only thing that the Toro doesn't do is provide the kind of grass-lifting suction that you'd get from a hi-vac Snapper deck. This is a tradeoff for the superior mulching ability that the Toro provides, so take your pick of which attribute matters more to you. This reduced suction does not translate into bad bagging, though, it is just that there are upward and downward air currents going on under the deck when used in mulching mode and sometimes limp grass doesn't get pulled 100% upright when you're at a higher deck height setting (3.5+ inches)

Earlier this year I bought another one for my aunt to use, since her previous mower was getting hard to start, and she and my 85 year old grandfather have been pleased with it, too. My only complaint with the mower is the fact that the wheel height adjusters are too easy to use and my grandfather keeps resetting them too low, which has been very hard on his grass in the heat and dryness we've had this year. Oh well, what can you do?

The B&S engines will outlive the mower wheels/handles/controls, and maybe even the deck, if you take care of them. The commercial Honda and Kawasaki motors are nice, but I don't see any reason to buy up to an $800 commercial 21" walk behind mower for home use. And the homeowner-grade Honda motors aren't anything special, so I wouldn't pay a premium for those motors.

I will say that I have used a Toro push mower in the past and it was great.

Thanks for the good input so far.

rb_in_va, do you have any personal experience with the push Snappers? If so which model and what do you think of it?

rb_in_va, do you have any personal experience with the push Snappers? If so which model and what do you think of it?

No, but they are sold at OPE dealers, and they will probably let you take one for a spin.

I'd check consumer reports for push mowers: The top brands with the FEWEST repairs are(ranked in order of least to most problems)

1. honda
2. toro
3. craftsman/sears
4. yard machine
5. lawnboy

Some CR recommendations:
...yard-man 11A439Q, Best Buy
...craftsman/sears 38885, 38535, 38895
... honda harmony II hrs216pda
...troy built 11a542q

I have a sears 4.5 hp push mulcher that is going on 6 years, always starts

mark

I've had a Honda for about 30 yrs. now.
Fuel and oil changes and a plug now and then, is all it ever needed.
If I ever need another pushmower, I'll make it a Honda. ;)

I was ready to drop 900 on a new Honda mower. Then we became a Husky dealer and I got a sick deal on a 21" Husky mower with a Honda engine. It starts first pull everytime and is actually a very quality built machine.

I would highly recommend this mower. Especially for under $400.

I'd check consumer reports for push mowers: The top brands with the FEWEST repairs are(ranked in order of least to most problems)

1. honda
2. toro
3. craftsman/sears
4. yard machine
5. lawnboy

Some CR recommendations:
...yard-man 11A439Q, Best Buy
...craftsman/sears 38885, 38535, 38895
... honda harmony II hrs216pda
...troy built 11a542q

I have a sears 4.5 hp push mulcher that is going on 6 years, always starts

mark

Consumer Reports recommends a Crapsman, eh? That's why I don't like Consumer Reports. I have a 2 year old Crapsman I'll give you. It starts, it mows, it works. Just that plastic trans case and the plastic gears are already getting sporadic. Might as well mulch with as much grass blows past the bag where it meets the mower. And who puts a belt guard over the drain plug? The instructions say to tip the mower over to change the oil. You ever tried to tip a mower over and pour crankcase oil into a funnel? :bang:

I bet mowers are like chainsaws in that the model is as important as the manufacturer. Even a great manufacture like stihl, has some saws I wouldn't allow in my garage, not even on the floor, in the back.

If I was buying a push mower, I look at the motor less reel mowers. The new ones are aluminum and cut very well. Golf courses use reel mowers because they do such a good job, albeit with motors.
You get exercise, don't need gas, don't pollute, don't have to start or maintiain it, and don't wake up the neighbors.

Consumer Reports recommends a Crapsman, eh? That's why I don't like Consumer Reports. I have a 2 year old Crapsman I'll give you. It starts, it mows, it works. Just that plastic trans case and the plastic gears are already getting sporadic. Might as well mulch with as much grass blows past the bag where it meets the mower. And who puts a belt guard over the drain plug? The instructions say to tip the mower over to change the oil. You ever tried to tip a mower over and pour crankcase oil into a funnel? :bang:

I have a Crapsman too. It's not a bad mower, but I won't buy another. When I change the oil I just put it up on blocks, and drain the oil like I would in a car. How do you change the oil in other mowers? I've often thought of sabotaging this mower so I can go out and get a good one.

I have a Crapsman too. It's not a bad mower, but I won't buy another. When I change the oil I just put it up on blocks, and drain the oil like I would in a car. How do you change the oil in other mowers? I've often thought of sabotaging this mower so I can go out and get a good one.

Most mowers have a nice accessible drainplug on the bottom. On my Crapsman self propelled, they covered it with the drivebelt guard. I put a Unibit through it and extended it. I really feel for the price I paid I shouldn't have had to do that. I only tipped it upside down once before I decided I wouldn't do that again.

And you're right, I won't buy another either.

i also have a honda.

wouldn't buy anything else.my parents have had one for almost 20 years and that is what sold me.

Most mowers have a nice accessible drainplug on the bottom. On my Crapsman self propelled, they covered it with the drivebelt guard. I put a Unibit through it and extended it. I really feel for the price I paid I shouldn't have had to do that. I only tipped it upside down once before I decided I wouldn't do that again.

And you're right, I won't buy another either.

Oh I see. I misunderstood what you were talking about. I only paid $169 fo rit though. It has run well for probably 3-4 years, and would probably run at least that much longer if'n I didn't have plans to kill it prematurely.:D

Mine is self propelled too. Propelled my myself!

Look at these Honda's

If you have a Cub Cadet dealer near you, check out their push mowers. Look on their website www.cubcadet.com. These are the ones made by Cub, not the crappy MTD'S which is what your Bolens is.
They have Honda motors, and very nice sturdy wheels and axles. I can't remember the exact price, but if I was considering buying one it had to be a good deal cause I'm quite the tightwad. I don't put alot of priority into grass cutting.
I also have a Bolens that I bought 4 years ago and I can't remember working on any machine as much as I have this one. I told myself if I didn't get it going, I was getting one of those Cubs.

good luck

Back