looking for a new stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zackman1801

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Im looking for some peoples opinions about what stihl to get. I went down to the pawn shop the other day and noticed that had a few saws there for a decent price. They had a ms250 for $189 but the chain on the darn thing was filed PAST the small line on the cutters. Then they had a nice 029 there that was $198 but the chain and bar looked to be brand new since the bar lettering hadent even been worn off and the chain looks like it was factory sharpened still. my question is Which saw would be better to get. The 029 had an 18inch bar on it but was a pretty hefty saw.
Im looking to use this saw as a logging saw since im probably going to have to bring my own saw at the job im trying to get. so which saw would better suit my needs the 250 or the 029? which has more power and cutting ability? and which is overall a better saw?

Im looking for some peoples opinions about what stihl to get. I went down to the pawn shop the other day and noticed that had a few saws there for a decent price. They had a ms250 for $189 but the chain on the darn thing was filed PAST the small line on the cutters. Then they had a nice 029 there that was $198 but the chain and bar looked to be brand new since the bar lettering hadent even been worn off and the chain looks like it was factory sharpened still. my question is Which saw would be better to get. The 029 had an 18inch bar on it but was a pretty hefty saw.
Im looking to use this saw as a logging saw since im probably going to have to bring my own saw at the job im trying to get. so which saw would better suit my needs the 250 or the 029? which has more power and cutting ability? and which is overall a better saw?
To be quite honest...for an everyday logging saw I don't think either of them would be a great fit. The best thing would be to find out what the other members of the crew runs for models, bar sizes etc....before purchasing a saw.

I'm also always leary about the quality of products comming out of pawnshops. If your going to be using it everyday making money with it you'll need something dependable. You may want to purchase a new saw if your wallet allows for this. Another option would be buying one from a reputable person so you know what your getting.

If the choice were strictly between the 025 and the 029 I would definitely go with the 029. I wouldn't consider either one up for everyday logging use though. ...although a friend of mine sure uses his 029 as if it were meant for pro use... hasn't failed yet.

Last edited:
Neither saw is appropriate for logging use, even if new.

If your goal is to run a 16" bar, something in the 036/360/361 range would be appropriate. If you need more bar than that, 044/440/441/046/460 would be the appropriate choice. Do you know what the rest of the crew is running? Interchangeability of spare parts, bars, etc., is definitely worthwhile and is practically essential if you're only bringing one saw to the job.

I would also, as suggested above, be cautious about buying used saws to make a living with. A good, new pro saw might be an expense worth putting on the CC or taking a small loan out for. The right tool for the job makes it much easier to get the job done quickly, efficiently, and safely.

If you are going to be logging with only one saw IMO you need at least a 440 if you can find one. If not , go with a 460.

Eventually you'll need a backup saw also.

The 250 and the 290 both do what they are intended to, but both are cheaply made "homeowner" saws - Computeruser got it right.......:greenchainsaw:

Last edited:
i was thinking the same thing and unfortunatly it might be awhile before i can afford a 300-400$ saw. But i know that we run 036's and ms360s in our class at the high school and they have NO problems cutting the wood. The guy im trying to get a job with isnt per say a real logger. he is more of a landscaper of sorts. he clears house lots for people. My friend says he thinks that they use 044s and huskys of unknown power (my friend didnt know what size the huskys were) although the guys that work for him are different and it seems that his crews are pretty small, somewhere in the 3-5 man area on any given day. The only problems are he dosent yet know if i will need my own or if i will need to get my own saw.
I know pawn shops arent the best places to buy things since they are usually there for one reason or the other but i was going to ask the guy if i could start the saw and see how it ran before purchasing. Although how come the 029 is soo much darn heavier than the 036's and 361's that i have run and handled? for less power why is the saw powerhead also soo much larger. do you think that it could possibly be a differnt cover on the saw? or is it normal?

BTW what saws out there are good for what im looking to do but wont be too hard on the wallet? what do some of you guys use?

Last edited:
Stihl 044/440 or 046/460. Dolmar 7900. Husky 372, or a "bent" handle Jred 2171.:)

Be careful buying used saws, some are wore all to heck and back.:dizzy: :dizzy:

I've owned a MS 250 and still own an older 028 Wood Boss. I'd take the old
028 over the 250 any day. I sold my 250 on eBay after owning it for about a
year. The saw never impressed me a bit, started fine when cold but it flood
way too easy once it was warm. The cutting speed was never impressive. It
never felt right in my hands. I'm getting ready to overhaul my 30 year old 028
and that should put it back close to like new.

The non pro saws like the 029/290 have composite (aka plastic) cases. Pro saws have magnesium cases. In order for the plastic cases to be strong enough they make the plastic thick, plus extra parts are required. This all contributes to the weight of the saw.

Last edited:
BTW what saws out there are good for what im looking to do but wont be too hard on the wallet? what do some of you guys use?

Well, you're kinda stuck in a bit of a bind here. Maybe one of the members here can step up and get you set up with a good used saw.

The problem, as I see it, is that you are going to be asking one saw to do more than one job. This requires a bigger saw than is necessary for the small stuff so it won't be outclassed on the larger work. But bigger saws tend to cost more than smaller saws. Depending on how your proposed employment situation works, it could be possible to get by with a small saw if your crew had a team approach - feller, bucker, limber - where you could be a limber. This would allow you to get by with a good used 50cc saw initially.

If you can do some hunting, you might be able to find some deals from trusted saw shops. AS sponsor Amick's had these used saws for sale within your budget - Amick's Used Saws. My local saw shop rebuilds solid saws and resells them for a fair price. This past month they had some freshly- or soon-to-be rebuilt 026s, 028s, 038s, and others that would be good choices; some get placed on eBay.

If you're not stuck on Stihl, a Husqvarna 261/2, 266, 268, 271/2, 359, 357, 362, 365, 372 would be superior choices to a Stihl 250 or 290. Prices on used Husqvarnas tend to be more manageable than the similar Stihl model.

When it's all said and done, if I was looking for a Stihl then I guess I would want to look for at least an 036 or 044 if I was looking for a used saw to make money with. I'd probably shoot for an 044, add an 066 later if the work requires a saw of that size, and then snag an MS200 or 026 for the light work.

I would ask first...

I would ask first about the need for a saw. I worked for a land clearing operation for a little while, we ran extremely nice equipment, and the boss constantly had good gear. His reason? Liability. He had to hire a plethora of people from a variety of socio-economic classes, and therefore the only way he knew the equipment his employees were handling was to give it to them himself.
Up in your parts I would venture to guess it will be a LOT OF WHITE PINE (Maine), some Red Oak, some Sugar Maple and some Birches. I know the pines are big and I wouldn't want something smaller than a 036, but really, I would ask him first. He may just try you out, and hand you a saw... You never know. (Don't bother with the pawn shop saw, most pro logging shops will sell you a much better saw (used) for that money, yes they will have been beat, but if you get 3 months of pay out of it to get a NEW saw, then good on you...)

Good Luck, glad to see someone so motivated. Enjoy the snow.

Jason

If you're on a budget go to trading post and look for a clean 038 or 044 from an AS member. Both these saws have wonderful reputations with real loggers. (far better then grubbing for an 025 or 029 in a pawn shop)

Zackman, on the tradin' post they have a 044/440 for sale for $275. It might be a little higher than you want to spend right now by like $100, but I'd recommend this saw for a long term investment. You'll make your money back with it 10 fold. It's very versatile, will run a 24" bar no problem so you can cut pretty much anything out there, and yet is light enough for you to use for anything else... They also have a Husky 51 for $200. They are an EXCELLENT saw also, although a dawg compared to the 044. I'll keep my eyes out around this area for ya bro... Good luck buddy

:cheers: eh?

Standard issue logger saws in this area of hardwoods is a 046/460 with a 20" bar. That is by far the most common, but there are some that run a 440 20" and a few that run 660/066 24".

Most of the hardwoods here are under 24". There are always the above average, but 18" is probably average.

a smaller saw will do you to start and work your way up, but you might be better off talking to local dealers that sell/service the loggers and you might be able to get a decent used one for reasonable money. Arounnd here, a logger wears out a saw in 6-12 months.

That 044 in the classifieds might be your ticket. Plenty of power to run a 20 or 24" all day, everyday.

Good luck, if I had anything decent in that size range I would offer it up, but I unloaded a bunch of stuff-trying to buy a house.

-Steve

Ya'll don't pay attention.
He said he can't afford $300-400 for a good saw.He's starting a new job and his pockets are lined with dust and lint(been there a few times).

Go get yourself an old Mac610-605-650 type saw.60cc 4hp and enough torque to pull a good size bar for ya'.For the type of work you'll be doing this saw will do just fine.You won't be winning any speed contests but it's a good work saw.

They can be had on ebay real reasonable.Check all the local saw shops and small engine repair shops.

Then after you get a few paychecks under your belt you can get the saw you need.

If you can't find one let me know. Steve

Zack,
Another option are the rental saws they sell at Home Depot. It's a Makita 6401, an excellent professional-grade saw with plenty of power. Seems like they go for around $215.

If you do go the "used" route, the most important thing to do is to take off the muffler so you can see the piston and cylinder. You will need to pull the starter cord slowly to move the piston up/down to see as much of the surface of the cylinder and piston as possible. You're looking for excessive scratches, burnt areas or gouge marks. If these are present, you will probably need to replace either the cylinder, piston or both which likely will cost more than the original price of the saw.

Last edited:
That 044 in the classifieds might be your ticket. Plenty of power to run a 20 or 24" all day, everyday.

Good luck, if I had anything decent in that size range I would offer it up, but I unloaded a bunch of stuff-trying to buy a house.

-Steve

Yep there is a 044 in the tradinpost for 275.00 supposed to have a new P/C and a 24" bar

it ought to do the job for ya bettern either saw you found in that pawn shop

or find ya a good used Husky 372 with a 24" bar chould handle any thing that comes yer way on the landing,,,

JMHO:greenchainsaw:

Latest posts

Back