Looking for a saw for my teenage Son

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karl Robbers

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I am looking for a saw for my teenage son. He is 14 and not a small weedy boy, but he does have trouble starting my saws, mainly technique related, but I really would like to get him up and running with a saw to boost his confidence while his technique develops. I am thinking that something in the 30-40cc range would be appropriate sseing as limbwood up to maybe 8" will be the saws fodder. A decompressor or some other starting aid will be required. Weight is also a factor I guess and I am thinking that a rear handle saw may be safer and more controllable.
I do have a preference for Husqvarna, but would be prepared to consider other brands. I like the concept of the Stihl easy start system although I have no personal experience with it.
Non negotiables are that the saw MUST have a good chain brake and a good Anti Vibe system. I would like it to be a land owner class saw, although a good homeowner saw would probably do the job. I am thinking perhaps a 340 Husky may be a good option, (the 435 doesn't have a decompressor as I understand it, but does have "smart start" - how much that will reduce starting effort I do not know). The MS 180C also crossed my mind.
I have never really considered starting effort before in a saw.
I'll open the floor now, what say you people?

I've been kicking the tires myself for a 40cc saw and the one that I like is the Jonsered CS 2240, seems to have the best power to weight ratio in that class. That saw is the same as a Husqvarna 440, but the Jonsered website claims that the 2240 has a tenth more power and .3 lighter. That's in US hp and lbs. Have you trained the lad on running a gas chainsaw, a lot of people in the US would develop a twitch hearing that a 14 year old is running around with a chainsaw. But this a sue happy country that is way over the top with stuff like that. 40cc's would be the start of the land owner class and is a good size saw to have, definitely has it's limitations, but is a nice versatile saw that can do a lot .

Karl, in that cc range I really don't think he'd need a de-comp and mostly aren't available anyway, are they ?

A lack of de-comp will help his starting technique IMO as he will learn how to feel the saw come up to TDC and work out how to get it to pop.

The smaller Makita's in that cc range are really nicely built saws, basically pro saw construction and make great power for the cc's. They take small Husky mount bars.
If you can cope with the teal blue colour they are very cost effective too, usually a fair bit cheaper than a comparable Stihl or Husky and arguably a better saw.

35cc = EA350
46cc = DCS460

I've been kicking the tires myself for a 40cc saw and the one that I like is the Jonsered CS 2240, seems to have the best power to weight ratio in that class. That saw is the same as a Husqvarna 440, but the Jonsered website claims that the 2240 has a tenth more power and .3 lighter. That's in US hp and lbs. Have you trained the lad on running a gas chainsaw, a lot of people in the US would develop a twitch hearing that a 14 year old is running around with a chainsaw. But this a sue happy country that is way over the top with stuff like that. 40cc's would be the start of the land owner class and is a good size saw to have, definitely has it's limitations, but is a nice versatile saw that can do a lot .

Jonsered are gone from here, Husky ditched them.

Karl, in that cc range I really don't think he'd need a de-comp and mostly aren't available anyway, are they ?

A lack of de-comp will help his starting technique IMO as he will learn how to feel the saw come up to TDC and work out how to get it to pop.

The smaller Makita's in that cc range are really nicely built saws, basically pro saw construction and make great power for the cc's. They take small Husky mount bars.
If you can cope with the teal blue colour they are very cost effective too, usually a fair bit cheaper than a comparable Stihl or Husky and arguably a better saw.

35cc = EA350
46cc = DCS460
I had actually been considering the Makita, while they are not perhaps the most traditionally desirable of saws I have much respect for them and they are a real value for money deal. Definitely a step up from the 136 and 235 Huskys, which I purposely left off my list.
Many would condemn me for starting my son off on a saw at 14, but I firmly believe that with proper supervision and the requisite safety gear, such as chaps, hearing and eye protection, he will learn the correct way and not pick up bad habits that I see exhibited in so many adults. He has had exposure to saws and has had a go of my 562 once I had it well and truly buried in a log. Too many young men are not taught "manly" skills by their fathers and peers and grow up useless, better to learn in a controlled environment and gradually increase your skills under the watchful eye of a competent adult. That's how I learned. I would start using the saw under my father's watchful eye, then he started going for a short walk while I kept sawing. The walks got longer and longer, then pretty soon I was flying solo. Soon Dad had to try to get the saw out of my clutches so he could use it!
I still have two legs, ten toes and ten fingers, so he must have done something right I guess.

Hi Karl

The Husky 340 has no decomp..... I have one if you wanted to give it a run one day - but its not for sale, it part of my multi saw plan (340, 261, 576xp, 2095) at present.

No idea how a 14yo would take to it, but probably OK? I'm not big in frame and handle all OK, although the masterminded 2095 is definately "lumpy" to start..... the 261 is also a masterminded saw, closer to the 262xp in reality......

And I'm only about an hour west of you.....

Hi Karl

The Husky 340 has no decomp..... I have one if you wanted to give it a run one day - but its not for sale, it part of my multi saw plan (340, 261, 576xp, 2095) at present.

No idea how a 14yo would take to it, but probably OK? I'm not big in frame and handle all OK, although the masterminded 2095 is definately "lumpy" to start..... the 261 is also a masterminded saw, closer to the 262xp in reality......

And I'm only about an hour west of you.....
That's interesting, the 345 has one. Nice lineup of saws you have there by the way.

An Echo CS 400 is an awesome light saw. They start easy too, I always have mine at the pile. Wife uses it too.:clap:

That's interesting, the 345 has one. Nice lineup of saws you have there by the way.

Yeah, not bad for chewing though the hard dry stuff I cut on a property south of Osterley (do you know where that is, without looking it up?)

The 340 is slow, unless its small limbwood..... :msp_biggrin:

All I know is the stihl easy start is sweet for the people needing it (was on a 250 I was tuning for a friend). Beats the heck out of the other assisted starting systems I have seen so far.
Never seen one so easy to use to start before. Heck you could use several 2 inch pulls if you had to till you wound it up and then it would start.

All I know is the stihl easy start is sweet for the people needing it (was on a 250 I was tuning for a friend). Beats the heck out of the other assisted starting systems I have seen so far.
Never seen one so easy to use to start before. Heck you could use several 2 inch pulls if you had to till you wound it up and then it would start.

Don't say that! I may have to buy one and then I will never live cope with the retribution dealt out by all the Stihlheads I have made fun of in my day.
Seriously though, I am sort of interested in examining the easystart more closely.
Is Stihl the only manufacturer with such a system? I consider myself pretty up to dat with most other features, but never really considered ease of cranking in the past.

Take a look at the dolmar 350,351 or 420,421. They have a "easy start" type recoil and are well built and won't break the bank. Any of them would make a nice saw for him to start on.

All I know is the stihl easy start is sweet for the people needing it...

The Stihl MS 211 C-BE might be just the ticket for now. It is a decent homeowner saw, and should sell easily after your son grows out of it. I have an MS210 C that's held up fine for the past several years; just doesn't like to be pushed outside of normal homeowner stuff.

The Dolmar 420/421 is a great starter saw. Easy to start great power for 40cc and professional build structure. Buy him something like this and he's going to have a useable tool for life.

this is my favorite small saw

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Sr4oqOVyjfE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Latest posts

Back