Looking for a top handle climber saw, what do you like?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chads

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a top handle climber saw.
I have seen some reasonable prices on hitachi, efco, husky and echo.
Wondering what kind you guys use and if you like them.
Not really on the market for a $500 saw so I am looking elswhere right now.
I will use it roughly 1-2 weeks a year going around and limbing up trees on the properties.
I have a stihl 009 and like it but it's a little hard to hold when on a ladder.
I hear the hitachi made in Japan are pretty good but not sure where they are made now they are part of tanka.
Chad

not a sponsor. cant solicite sale of saw in open forum. if you want to sell your saw- put it in the classifieds. refer to site rules.

not my rules- but any number of members are getting ready to post the same.

You want something light and very easy to handle.The Echo 3000-3400 is a light as I have seen.Not a bad saw if your not using it every day.Plus a lot cheaper than some! It won't last like a 200T,but its a third of the price too. LOL

not a sponsor. cant solicite sale of saw in open forum. if you want to sell your saw- put it in the classifieds. refer to site rules.

not my rules- but any number of members are getting ready to post the same.

OP did the soliciting, I'm just trying to help him:
chads said:

so·lic·it/səˈlisit/
Verb:
Ask for or try to obtain (something) from someone.

Moderators of course feel free to remove my post if the first is in some sort of violation.

I have both a Stihl 200T and a 192T...so I can choose either one I want..

I regularly choose the 192T..as it's all that's needed..has served me well..!!

$300 new or about $150-$200 off eBay. I would choose it over an Echo 360.
:cheers:
J2F

Hunt around for one of these, like 50 bucks or something (they work just great)

Model Profile: S25CVA

Then take the money you saved by not buying a multiple hundred dollar regular chainsaw and put it into a real pole saw so you aren't pruning from a ladder. ;)

I don't climb much...

But I got a pair of old Echo 3400's
They don't weigh much, and when warm start very very easily. Kind of nice when you are dangling from your toe nails yanking on a tinkertoy... surprisingly powerful for 30 cc's

-Pat

For light duty use like that you can't go wrong with a Stihl 192T around $300 bucks. I have the 192/200 and unless you're using it everyday you might as well go with the cheaper 192. Dangerous to be cutting from a ladder though maybe get yourself a pole saw instead or learn to climb.

Yup. +1 :agree2:

If you can still find a new one, indeed. Local Efco dealer here has sold lots of the 132S, and people really like them. Great warranty. From what I know of the Tanaka, avoid it! Ofcourse, Stihl 192T is a more affordable model, and well regarded. Redmax has a top handle for $299 too.

Thanks for the info.
I was not looking to buy one here sorry if that's what it looked like.
I am interested in finding out what is goood saw to look for.
I was going to sell my 009 to my brother and get a new/er saw for myself that is easier to handle. when climbing etc.

I have a set of gaffs but they tear up the tree when I'm just trimming so I resort to the ladder if I am saving the tree and can't climb it too easily without gaffs.

Today, I was at a flea market and found a 028 super farm boss 20" bar 50cc for $165 w one extra brand new chain for him.
The bar oil cap or something leaks, I was a little leary of it but the plug looked good and the jug wasn't scored at all. It started on the 4th pull and when I came back about 20 min later it started on the 1 st pull. THere was not much wear at all on the body so likely wasn't used much.

He wanted something bigger anyway but wasn't looking for a throw away saw from lowes either.
I wish I would of found a climber saw instead but sometimes you just need to be happy with what you find a deal on.

I wanted to keep it but I just bought a makita 6401 and a 460 a couple of months ago so I am pretty good on bigger saws right now.
Chad

I have seen some reasonable prices on hitachi, efco, husky and echo.
Wondering what kind you guys use and if you like them.
Not really on the market for a $500 saw so I am looking elswhere right now.
I will use it roughly 1-2 weeks a year going around and limbing up trees on the properties.
I have a stihl 009 and like it but it's a little hard to hold when on a ladder.
I hear the hitachi made in Japan are pretty good but not sure where they are made now they are part of tanka.
Chad

Using a chainsaw from a ladder is a recipe for disaster. If I were you I would stick to a handsaw and a pole saw. Maybe you could also try a Power Pruner type saw.

Latest posts

Back