looking for firewood in portland oregon

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fosterwater39

Reaction score
hello,

i'm looking for firewood in portland oregon or close by. i've got ax and wood and truck. i'd rather do the labor myself. can you help me or suggest a place for me to get seasoned wood?
thanks

chainsaw graham

The USDA Forest service may have firewood permits.

Pacific Northwest Region
Forest Service
333 SW First Avenue
Portland, Oregon

Also might try the U.S. Government Bureau of Land Management (BLM).

Oregon State Office
Bureau of Land Management
333 S.W. 1st. Avenue
Portland, OR 97204
503-808-6002

You could also drive around, looking for dead trees, and offering the home owner to take them down. Just be sure and use someone else's license plates in the event you drop the tree on their house and have to drive off quickly. :biggrin:

The USDA Forest service may have firewood permits.

Pacific Northwest Region
Forest Service
333 SW First Avenue
Portland, Oregon

Also might try the U.S. Government Bureau of Land Management (BLM).

Oregon State Office
Bureau of Land Management
333 S.W. 1st. Avenue
Portland, OR 97204
503-808-6002

You'll want to go to the the Mt. Hood National Forest. or across the river to the Gifford Pinchot National Forest if you choose that option. Now is the time to get firewood for next winter, not this winter, unless you luck out and get a recently felled snag.

The best time to get firewood off the National Forest is in the winter, after a windstorm. On the Gifford Pinchot, called the GP, you can get a firewood permit, and take what is in the road. In some places, you can go beyond the road edges. The other good time is to follow the snowline in the spring, and get the trees that are across the roads.

I am not familiar with the policies of the Hood. They have offices in Sandy, Estacada, and that place over in the wheatfields that I can't remember the name of right now. The GP has offices in Vancouver, Trout Lake, Amboy, and Randle.

The office in Portland is in the Federal Building downtown. It is the regional office for Washington and Oregon offices and is like entering a fortress..metal detectors, security guards, etc, so call there first.

If you are in the Portland area, the best place right now that is open to legally cut in our area is Tillamook Forest. Oregon Department of Forestry Forest Grove District Always make sure to look at the weather before you leave, I use the Oregon Odot site TripCheck - Road Cams, Road & Weather Conditions in Oregon - ODOT to help you prepare for the weather. Don't bother going even if there is a little snow, its a pain to see logs and get them out, waste of time.

Go to the Tillamook Forestry Office, get yourself a permit and go to town. Don't forget to ask where the best place for wood is when you go to get your permit. Sometimes they will open up logging sites that were recently done and wood is nice to get when that happens.

In the summer, Mt. Hood sells wood permits which is a nice change of wood and scenery. And consequently Tillamook closes for the summer.

Craigslist around here for free wood is hard to come by unless you want limbs or someones rotten wood that they had stacked with the intent to burn but never did.

Feel free to message me, I go up quite a bit and would be than happy to show you the basics of the area.

Good luck!

Back