looking for good hatchet

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the SA Wetterlings hatchet I have. Pretty basic Dayton design and splits kindling really well. The steel is crazy hard; I need to use diamond stones or I'll be sharpening all day.

I have Plumb hammers, hatchets, and axes, and they are excellent tools. All mine were either my grandpa's or given to me by friends dad's and that type of deal. Great old stuff that can usually be had for next to nothing if you can re hang them. I agree, you have to watch where the stuff is made now. These old brands are not the same tools your grandpa used in many cases. I have an old Stanley block plane that was made in England. The new ones from Lowes are useful for a paper weight, just like most of the brand name tools from there.
Did you ever see a Plumb screwdriver that's spelled Plvmb? I have one in my nick nack cabinet. I also have an old wooden handled Proto screwdriver. Not trying to turn this Hatchet/ hammer thread into a screw driver thread, but I buy every Stanley commercial screwdriver I see. They are indestructable.

Did you ever see a Plumb screwdriver that's spelled Plvmb? I have one in my nick nack cabinet. I also have an old wooden handled Proto screwdriver. Not trying to turn this Hatchet/ hammer thread into a screw driver thread, but I buy every Stanley commercial screwdriver I see. They are indestructable.

I don't believe I have seen a Plvmb screwdriver. I'll have to dig through all my wooden handle ones. Proto still makes good stuff as far as I know. I was just actually digging through some of my stuff earlier. You talking the old Stanley black and yellow?

I don't believe I have seen a Plvmb screwdriver. I'll have to dig through all my wooden handle ones. Proto still makes good stuff as far as I know. I was just actually digging through some of my stuff earlier. You talking the old Stanley black and yellow?
Yea Some of them have a mushroom on the shaft at the handle. You can beat the H#ll out of them and the handle won't break. I have several old ones I use when I do duct work for starting wholes for cutting in taps or branch lines. I think they are the same as Klein screw drivers, or used to be.

Yea Proto still makes good stuff. I only have one proto ratchet that I found on the road. Obviously a mechanic lost it under a hood.

I'll keep an eye out, @Vibes. Love picking through the old tools at the flea markets and garage sales.
Back to the hatchets, I just spent a good hour sanding, filing and cleaning up an old Plumb hatchet head. After it was good and clean, I noticed a crack in it running down the side. Sucks, but I'm glad I saw that and didn't have it come apart on me.

I liked the looks of those 2 hawks. I ordered a couple of the models they had. Thanks for the link.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll keep an eye out, @Vibes. Love picking through the old tools at the flea markets and garage sales.
Back to the hatchets, I just spent a good hour sanding, filing and cleaning up an old Plumb hatchet head. After it was good and clean, I noticed a crack in it running down the side. Sucks, but I'm glad I saw that and didn't have it come apart on me.

While looking for old tools. Keep an eye out for Kelley forge True Temper axes. Those are the best axes out there. Also another hot item is Uwanta pipe wrenches. Don't ask me why but I see them selling for giant money on the Bay. I see people looking for the old Handy Andy kids tools sets also.

got a Fiskars X7 at sears for under 19$ yesterday- on sale online and they price matched. Haven't messed with it too much but seems to be a decent splitter and okay for chopping. Sharp as hell.

Latest posts

Back