Looking for input/advise on pole saws. I am looking to purchase.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Going a bit offtopic but there's some dude on kijiji here selling a 50 foot pole saw said it costs over 1500 new. Anyone heard of one this big and if so how the hell do you even use that?? The bend and weight on that would make it next to impossible IMHO

I have a HT 131 and really like it. It has amazing power and cuts anything you need it to cut as far as tree trimming would go. Another post said they were hard to start, I have not had that issue at all, the 4 Mix engines typically start without much trouble, at least that has been my personal experience. I would caution anyone that has a 4 Mix to use only the ULTRA full synthetic Stihl oil, or an equal full synthetic, in their units to eliminate carbon build up on the little valves the 4 Mix uses. The only down side to the 131 is that it gets very heavy to run for extended periods, especially if fully extended. They are well built saws and carry a premium price but are worth it if you have much trimming to do.

Steve

I have a STIHL HT-75. I replaced the carb with one for a FS-80 so it now it has high and low speed mixture adjustments.
It's a simple 2-stroke disign that goes along with my other saws. It does a great job for me. I'm very pleased with the choice I made.

I have a Stihl 131 that I got a few month ago. It was hard to start for the first tank of fuel now it starts on the first pull, It does get heavy when fully extended, and I do wish it had a foot or two more for length, I had borrowed my buddies before buying this and Iam very happy with it.

I bought a ht131 about a year ago and when extended it's heavier than I want to use for more than few cuts. I prefer my ht100 or ht250 fixed polesaws and a small 6-8 ft. orchard ladder. The lightweight ladder and fixed polesaw combo is much easier on me at the end of the day. Kind of funny that the ht100 is the same weight as a hedge trimmer. And it's fast as well as easier to maneuver than the extended saw. I haven't had any problems starting or running the 4-mix engines and I like their lower idle speed and how much quieter they are, especially in a residential neighborhood. The ht250 is a 2 stroke and the same engine as the fs250, which is a bit of a hotrod. I use a 16" bar and chain that's the same as my 200t on it. Tons of power with it being 40cc's, but I still bring the Silky for backup with any polesaw, especially the 131.

Thats why I got my FS 110 R Wacker, I can add a Saw to the end.

I've got a HT131 and can't fault it at all. Being used to conventional 2 strokes the torque of the 4 mix came as a surprise! If you do decide to get a pole saw and intend to use it for extended periods get the optional Stihl harness. You'll be glad you did as running a fully extended pole saw for any length of time is hard work. This setup takes a MASSIVE amount of the load off of your arms...

Pole Pruner Accessories - Fixed Length & Telescopic Pole Pruner Attachments | STIHL USA

I've been using them since the original Technic Tool versions, then Echos and I'd stay with Echo all the way. Just go for the ppt 280 its got the power to do the job.

Nice unit.

327PT5S.jpg

It does come with a very nice harness for support and control while you use the saw. It makes it a lot easier to handle, it takes a bit of leverage to run a pole saw when you've got it extended out there a ways.

471e0e04.jpg

Last edited:
I just bought a Stihl pp800 telescoping pruner pole(18ft.) with the ps80 blade and its just like the Silky Hayauchi it seems to cut nice,i was gonna buy another Hayauchi but couldn't wait a week to get it so we'll see how the Stihl holds up.

Last edited:
power pruners.." The High Reach"

Buy the Stihl..The husky power pruner they sell in Northern tool, big box ect. 549.msrp..is absolute junk and you can buy the real deal Stihl ht101 for a couple bucks more brand new with a warranty..high quality stihl baby!! echo is just echo not too impressed..the old ones are high quality but echos cheap plastic new chainsaws burn out in a couple months. ONLY buy stihl...maybe redmax or shindaiwas are cool if you have a dealer but why NOT buy stihl there proven and run FOREVER if maintained..tough too just dont let a big branch take it down and bend the shaft..Stihls assembly can take it the one husky i was talking about is absolute trash same price as the ht 101..maybe 75 bucks more..

You get into work off a roof or a ladder and you can save alot of time not climbing or getting low far out branch tips..I bought mine for municipal trimming my foreman was pissed he thought i was cheating my way i'm like bam raising up 25 bradford pears a day hammering out brazillian peppers and small ficus, raising up chinese elms , cleaning up the bottoms and getting removals started while the climber is getting ready,:msp_thumbup: ect...You dont need the lightweight polesaws after that a reg jameson pole with two sticks is like a feather...

Aslo i havent tried it but im told you can bolt a hedger head onto the ht power pruners but they dont want you too, maybe its offbalance or there trying to develop one unit you have to buy..heard it works good though

Last edited:
Look into the Stihl Kombi system. You can get a polesaw with extension and it gets up there. Then there's other cool stuff that you can get for em too. Have the large Kombi with the pole saw and love it. The 4stroke isn't a big deal. It's a fully synthetic 2stroke mix. Doesn't clog the valves like regular 2stroke mix does in the 4strokes. They are really torquey motors too!

We have been running the 4 mix hard at work. Only issue at first the conventional oil. Read a post here saying use synthetic like hp ultra, in fact think if I remember right they are made to run on it. Only had to adjust valves a time or two, but so far rock solid. I am sold in a pole saw form. Trust me though the 101 is tried and true, the less weight is really noticeable. Still have great power. I try and explain to people, even though I am falling trees and cutting stuff as big as 18inches and up, at some point you will have to use a bucket truck, or climb and get up with a chainsaw. The power of today's pole saw's is not an issue. But weight can be fully extended. Just trying running it day in, and out. It is very different then a chainsaw right in front of you. And the 101 is tried and true. We are still having some minor issues with the 131. Just my thought's Oldiron.

Your right Norm, Stihl says to use the HP ultra fully synthetic 2stroke mix.

Buy the Stihl..The husky power pruner they sell in Northern tool, big box ect. 549.msrp..is absolute junk and you can buy the real deal Stihl ht101 for a couple bucks more brand new with a warranty..high quality stihl baby!! echo is just echo not too impressed..the old ones are high quality but echos cheap plastic new chainsaws burn out in a couple months. ONLY buy stihl...maybe redmax or shindaiwas are cool if you have a dealer but why NOT buy stihl there proven and run FOREVER if maintained..tough too just dont let a big branch take it down and bend the shaft..Stihls assembly can take it the one husky i was talking about is absolute trash same price as the ht 101..maybe 75 bucks more..

You get into work off a roof or a ladder and you can save alot of time not climbing or getting low far out branch tips..I bought mine for municipal trimming my foreman was pissed he thought i was cheating my way i'm like bam raising up 25 bradford pears a day hammering out brazillian peppers and small ficus, raising up chinese elms , cleaning up the bottoms and getting removals started while the climber is getting ready,:msp_thumbup: ect...You dont need the lightweight polesaws after that a reg jameson pole with two sticks is like a feather...

Aslo i havent tried it but im told you can bolt a hedger head onto the ht power pruners but they dont want you too, maybe its offbalance or there trying to develop one unit you have to buy..heard it works good though

That's a non telescoping pole saw in northern tool. Try reading the model number before smashing your keyboard.

That's a non telescoping pole saw in northern tool. Try reading the model number before smashing your keyboard.
i'm just talking about the one i saw..Its flimsy junk, your a husky dealer or what? I'm sorry.

Last edited:
i'm just talking about the one i saw..Its flimsy junk, your a husky dealer or what? I'm sorry.

Lol yes I am, and northern tool is allowed to carry only a few Husqvarna products like any other box store, their prices suck, and their advertising catches a lot of people.

That pole saw is a simple, two piece design that is intended for non-commercial light duty use. It works well, is built well for what it is, but is certainly not a heavy duty unit and I don't believe it is advertised as such.

Husqvarna also has a fixed length pole saw that is heavier duty than the two piece, but the reach is not as far.

Love my power pruner!

I'm working on my HT-131 right now! Not that that's really the best way to start, but I've had it for 4 years with almost no maint. other than tuning the carb once & changing plug & filter! Serves me right, as I've used it for @ least 8 hrs. every work week, sometimes up to 30hrs...it's essential when pruning smaller trees or pruning for street clearance/foot/vehicle traffic, knocking out a lg. volume of small diameter limbs, sometimes larger, if you're smooth about it! It's heavy, I can attest to that, but with proper posture(hold it like a giant war hammer/cleaver, 45 degrees, throttle next to your hip) you can lug it around all day. I'm sure any one of the fancy harnesses you can look funny wearing would decrease chances of blowing out your shoulder even less! Using a power pruner or even the longest pole saw Silky makes(Hayauchi! also, with their Sugoi handsaw, indispensable as backups or an even "greener" option I choose) all day is a whole different level of work & strain on the body, then using a saw on the ground all day...so wear headgear, good eye protection etc. if you don't like dancing & dodging branches all day...the only other power pruners I've used were a newer model Echo(the HT-131 out cut it, no question) a horrible Remington electric & my KM 130 R with the pruner attachment & heavyweight extension...can you tell I like that engine class? Anyway, grow some great stuff & have fun!

Last edited:
Thought about hiring?

I have the same issues with low branches and tractor clearance on our farm. I find it more economical to hire a pole saw, as this work can be quickly completed and then the saw is not required again for many months or even years. The big task is dealing with the felled branches! Maybe look at investing in a chipper if you don't have one already? It will get a lot more use in the long run.

Back