Looking for some good climbing 101 videos

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tree94

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Looking for some good tree climbing safety videos that go over different knots, climbing set ups, etc.

I've been climbing smaller residential trees with just a flip line, but I want to get into the bigger trees now.

Some recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

What he posted^. There are lots of videos out there on you tube. I just figured out this fancy computer stuff a few years ago and it has improved my abilities as a climber like I never would've imagined. I like the climbing arborist vids. Very instructive. When I need inspiration I'll check out Reg Coates, August Hunicke, and Bixler. Not set up to instruct but push me to keep improving. Good luck. Stay safe

Jerry Beranek's "Working Climber" collection is on sale at Bailey's for $260. Spendy, but worth it. Many hours of learning there.

Just watched the trailer for that Jerry Beranek's "Working Climber" on youtube.
Definitely the type of material I was looking for, thanks guys.

Look up Tarzan Thomas. Not so much a this is how you do step by step but watching him work you pick up on stuff he does that works, especially his felling ability.

+1 more on Beranek's videos and climbingarborist.com (good for knots & basic techniques). I watched Beranek's several times each (6 dvds total) because it seemed like I learned something new each time -- must be the ADD! I'm not a pro but I'm obsessed with climbing and tree work. I'm trying to get over my fear of above 40' climb right now. Good luck...

Look up Tarzan Thomas. Not so much a this is how you do step by step but watching him work you pick up on stuff he does that works, especially his felling ability.

His videos are quite lenthy, but awesome. All the stuff you miss on the fancy YouTube edits. You can tell the guy is top notch because he not editing out mistakes or fumbles. Probably the best guy with a saw on youtube.

I learned the most from Tarzan, Reg Cotes, NHlocal, climbingarborist.

Also pick up and read Tree Climber Companion. Stays in the bathroom. Read it a bunch, but I still probably refrence it weekly. http://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?category_id=74&item=2

Latest posts

Back